The Student Room Group

Is it just me or there are more and more people begging for money

Just this year alone I have been approached for the 4th time by people on the streets asking for money. If it's a foreigner I would tell them to go to their embassy for help if they need money. Usually that is enough to make them leave. One of them approached me in McDonald's not asking for money but for food.

I am usually scared when approached like this because if I refuse there's a chance they might just take my money.

Scroll to see replies

This is nothing new
Reply 2
It's because it's so incredibly lucrative. The majority of people begging on the street are not homeless (i.e. rough sleepers). Of those that are, the majority of those are homeless by choice. The homegrown ones are generally class A drug addicts who contrary to any signs they might be displaying, do not want food - they want money to buy more drugs. The ones from overseas have generally travelled here to beg because it's their job - as in it's an easier and better paid life to fly to Britain to beg in the street than whatever else they might be doing.

Don't be fooled. Every time anyone gives them money, that feeds into more of them.
The economy is in the toilet, we're governed by the worst government in living memory, wages are slumped, charities and services are closed or threadbare, people are less inclined to stop or give. More people get desperate.

(I dunno why you tell them to to go to their embassy, is it supposed to be funny/insulting?)
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
The economy is in the toilet, we're governed by the worst government in living memory, wages are slumped, charities and services are closed or threadbare, people are less inclined to stop or give. More people get desperate.

(I dunno why you tell them to to go to their embassy, is it supposed to be funny/insulting?)

The rationale you have written here is a fantasy. The people begging on the streets are desperate for heroin or crack - not food and shelter.

Why wouldn't they go to their embassy? If you were on the streets in a foreign land, wouldn't that be the smart move?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5

Don't embassies help their nationals on foreign soil?

If I go to other countries and got into trouble I would call up the embassy first before anything else
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Trinculo
The rationale you have written here is a fantasy. The people begging on the streets are desperate for heroin or crack - not food and shelter.

No, all that rationale is factual, OP asked why there is more of them, not whether an individual is genuinely desperate or seen as deserving.

I'm not going to deny for a second there are chancers, addicts and indeed organized begging going on, I absolutely see it, but I still see people that are just flat out ****ed and desperate who have seen the supply of charity dry up, even if that may have been an addiction service for example.

I've oddly noticed more 'middle class' homeless over the last few years, looking like people and families who have recently been evicted or forced to leave somewhere with 0 street smarts whatsoever, like buying tents in argos and trying to pitch in shop door ways with little stoves and stuff :rolleyes:
Original post by HucktheForde

If I go to other countries and got into trouble I would call up the embassy first before anything else

Not like that, no. They offer legal assistance and may assist with genuine emergencies, but having no money, home or food don't count. In terms of 'getting in trouble' yes you would call them if you were arrested. but they won't give you £££.

If you've been saying that to people they might get pretty insulted, as it's like telling them to 'Go back where they came from' which is always a bit racially charged.
Reply 8
No, all that rationale is factual, OP asked why there is more of them, not whether an individual is genuinely desperate or seen as deserving.

I'm not going to deny for a second there are chancers, addicts and indeed organized begging going on, I absolutely see it, but I still see people that are just flat out ****ed and desperate who have seen the supply of charity dry up, even if that may have been an addiction service for example.

I've oddly noticed more 'middle class' homeless over the last few years, looking like people and families who have recently been evicted or forced to leave somewhere with 0 street smarts whatsoever, like buying tents in argos and trying to pitch in shop door ways with little stoves and stuff :rolleyes:

I disagree with the first part. The reason why there are more is simply because they have clustered in the more lucrative places. Certain areas are known for either having enormous throughfare of suckers, or to be populated by incredibly gullible and soft-hearted suckers. There's a reason why the majority of all rough-sleepers in the entire country are to be found in two London boroughs.

The supply of charity will never dry up. People who are rough sleeping for more than a night or two will get housed by the local authority or a partner agency, if they are female, often within 24 hours.

I can promise two things - anyone who has a sign saying they are hungry is only hungry for your money. Anyone who says they need £8-13 for a hostel for the night is lying.
Reply 9
Not like that, no. They offer legal assistance and may assist with genuine emergencies, but having no money, home or food don't count. In terms of 'getting in trouble' yes you would call them if you were arrested. but they won't give you £££.

If you've been saying that to people they might get pretty insulted, as it's like telling them to 'Go back where they came from' which is always a bit racially charged.

No I am serious
The most common story I hear is " I am from xxx country I came here to visit my friend but he is in yyy and I have no money, can you spare me a change?"

Yea you totally should call your embassy they will arrange you a safe trip home

Not to mention who the f flies to a foreign land without bringing money.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10

If you are homeless in a foreign land - you certainly should go back to where you came from, instead of leeching on somebody else's state.

I cannot understand how it isn't an emergency to be destitute abroad. The country you are in will not want you there so why not go to your embassy and be repatriated if you are genuinely in need?
Reply 11
No I am serious
The most common story I hear is " I am from xxx country I came here to visit my friend but he is in yyy and I have no money, can you spare me a change?"

Yea you totally should call your embassy they will arrange you a safe trip home

I know exactly which country they are from, and it isn't usually the one they tell you.
Reply 12
It's because it's so incredibly lucrative. The majority of people begging on the street are not homeless (i.e. rough sleepers). Of those that are, the majority of those are homeless by choice. The homegrown ones are generally class A drug addicts who contrary to any signs they might be displaying, do not want food - they want money to buy more drugs. The ones from overseas have generally travelled here to beg because it's their job - as in it's an easier and better paid life to fly to Britain to beg in the street than whatever else they might be doing.

Don't be fooled. Every time anyone gives them money, that feeds into more of them.

What about the ones who genuinely need money?
I am usually scared when approached like this because if I refuse there's a chance they might just take my money.

Lmaoooo what. As in you think a homeless will just tackle and mug you if you refuse to hand over the dosh?? I think that’s very unlikely because most tramps and stuff operate in areas full of people and so probably wouldn’t dare to attack you in public with lots of bystanders who would probably step in and help you. I just avoid eye contact with them and walk past them on the furthest end of the pavement. The fact so few people carry cash anymore must have had a huge impact on tramps’ desperation. When I used to carry bills and coins I would every so often give them some but a note or coin hasn’t seen my wallet for years now and the same is the case for lots of other folk.

Some countries embassies are willing to assist their citizens stranded overseas who have run out of money.
Either with direct access to a free flight home or by contacting their close relatives overseas and insisting upon them providing access to funds/an airline ticket.
If you are homeless in a foreign land - you certainly should go back to where you came from, instead of leeching on somebody else's state.

I cannot understand how it isn't an emergency to be destitute abroad. The country you are in will not want you there so why not go to your embassy and be repatriated if you are genuinely in need?

PRSOM.

There are some countries whose embassies have a long tradition of assisting their citizens who have either run out of money or helping to repatriate those who have become homeless in an overseas nation.

But many embassies will never get involved.
A few do so very rarely and will only consider it if they feel that there is a high risk of a public relations disaster most likely to antagonise members of their government or disrupt positive diplomatic relations arising from the specific individual's circumstances and continued presence within the overseas country.

Some do.
But other's won't get involved at all when it comes to arranging a free flight to the homeland or lending money to cover the costs of their citizens who have run out of cash/have no accomodation.

Even the UK government has a very patchy record when it comes to providing stranded law abiding citizens with access to free transport home or even basic consular assistance in a place of safety for a stranded UK citizen with no cash who is claiming abduction/false imprisonment/forced marriage/being deprived of their passport.
Generally, assess if they look vulnerable.

Are they:
- high
- drunk
- injured
- moving
- are their lips blue
- can you see them breathing
- do they respond if there is a loud sound ( don't go just waking people up, but you can just say something to them to see if they respond if you're worried.)
- vomited/vomiting/look like they might vomit
- have blood, urine or faeces
- completely alone
- young ( under 18 )

What to do for each:

drunk: see if they are able to focus, see if they respond to you, are they vomiting? Are they conscious? If they are vomiting, roll them over into the recovery position to save them from choking to death on their own vomit, and alert a non-emergency line that there is someone vulnerable that may need medical attention. Alert a nearby shop or public transport office so that they can have someone monitor them to ensure their safety. Are they drunk after a night out? Do they have ID? Can you call them an uber? Are they able to answer if you ask them their address, or phone pin to call an uber for them? Are they a vulnerable group when drunk? ( under 18 m or f, women, younger men, LGBT ( higher chance of hate crime, especially for someone trans ). Then try and communicate with them about getting them home or somewhere safe.

injured: call for help, if no medical professionals are around, alert the nearest authority you see ( tube worker, bus driver, etc ) who will have channels of communication. If there are none, call 999 and then assess the situation. Have they been stabbed, hit, spat on? Is it safe for yourself and for ambulance staff? If yes, do as 999 tells you. If no, get yourself safe and follow 999 instructions.

moving. If they are not moving, and do not respond. Call 999. Same for breathing.

Vomiting - covered above. Recovery position, let someone know. Call 999 if needed.

Blood, urine or faeces - likely to be very vulnerable. Alert someone, if they are not injured, call the non emergency line or your local authority.

Alone/young: if they are a child, call local authority. Stay with them, especially at night. Do not leave a vulnerable child alone. Ideally, get both of you somewhere safer and well lit. If they are alone, see if they are safe. If they are a woman, is it dark, or a potential increased risk of SA? Try and get them to move indoors or elsewhere. If they are a man, is there a risk of mugging or assault? Same advice.

part 2) Is it:

- very cold
- very hot
- raining heavily
- near a bar
- very late

If any of the part 2 boxes above are ticked, you need to check if they're ok. If it's too hot, do they have water? Even people who are here illegally to beg do not deserve heat stroke or worse. If it's freezing, do they have a blanket? If it's raining, have they got dry shoes, an umbrella? It is very easy to get infections from consistently wet skin, especially on the feet. Are they near a bar? Are they homeless or just drunk and unable to move? If it's very late, are they a group at risk? Eg: young men for stabbing, young women for SA, children for trafficking.

Now, if they're healthy, safe, and are not in extreme conditions or appear mentally or physically ill, respond politely but leave ( if you wish ), or give them an item above ( umbrella, jacket, blanket ) and refer them to a local authority. Money is usually a risk since unfortunately there are gangs.

It's tough to know what to do in these situations, it's easy to just walk by. But if someone is not awake, moving, or they're in conditions where they're not safe, we all have a duty to ring 999 if needed. If someone is unwell, I could give less of a damn about the legality of their presence in the UK. You personally are not going to do anything to solve this, you cannot, you are not a government authority. All you can do is try to ensure vulnerable people are cared for.
For those who are giving out money, can I ask that you refrain from doing so as you cannot be certain of how they will spend it. Instead, what I do is occasionally purchase a meal deal for them, particularly during significant festivities like Christmas or Easter.
Reply 19
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Lmaoooo what. As in you think a homeless will just tackle and mug you if you refuse to hand over the dosh?? I think that’s very unlikely because most tramps and stuff operate in areas full of people and so probably wouldn’t dare to attack you in public with lots of bystanders who would probably step in and help you. I just avoid eye contact with them and walk past them on the furthest end of the pavement. The fact so few people carry cash anymore must have had a huge impact on tramps’ desperation. When I used to carry bills and coins I would every so often give them some but a note or coin hasn’t seen my wallet for years now and the same is the case for lots of other folk.

I am pretty meek. And I wear glasses so I can't fight well. Anyone who has some muscles can overpower me. If someone is desperate enough who knows if there are things they won't do....

So far from my experience beggars usually leave very quickly if you refuse and move on to the next person so I've no problems..

Quick Reply

Latest