The Student Room Group

Money or Happiness.

Poll

Money or Happiness.

What would you choose between money and happiness specifically more money and less happiness or less money alongside more happiness, as the title suggests? I would choose happiness all day and all night.

I know some people believe, money can buy happiness. But think more. Is it really capable of doing so? What about your inner peace/mental peace?

Just curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Happiness 100%, I would rather have a career that pays less than, one which has a high salary but runs me to early grave.
Reply 2
Original post by LittleBear04
Happiness 100%, I would rather have a career that pays less than, one which has a high salary but runs me to early grave.

Spot on!
Reply 3
Happiness all the time
Money
I have a family to support, and the cost of living is astronomical.
Money would bring my family happiness, and that's worth sacrificing my own dreams for.
Happiness all the way, what is the point of earning lots of money in a job if you literally working yourself to death and miserable.
Reply 6
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Money
I have a family to support, and the cost of living is astronomical.
Money would bring my family happiness, and that's worth sacrificing my own dreams for.

That's so sweet! I'll do the same and completely agree with those points of yours. They're taken from real-life experience. Therefore, there should be no room for dispute. What I referred to was from a different perspective, for instance, having witnessed some people say they would prefer money over happiness just because they want to be rich and prioritize materialistic things. They don't care about happiness, as they think money will be its source. Actually, that's not the case, from my understanding. Happiness is a natural emotion that comes from the heart and a stable mind. Some individuals are quite wealthy, yet they are unable to relax because they are constantly worried about their finances or because they constantly desire more. On the contrary, there are some people who aren't financially affluent, but they're happy with whatever they have.
Original post by Meheraj
That's so sweet! I'll do the same and completely agree with those points of yours. They're taken from real-life experience. Therefore, there should be no room for dispute. What I referred to was from a different perspective, for instance, having witnessed some people say they would prefer money over happiness just because they want to be rich and prioritize materialistic things. They don't care about happiness, as they think money will be its source. Actually, that's not the case, from my understanding. Happiness is a natural emotion that comes from the heart and a stable mind. Some individuals are quite wealthy, yet they are unable to relax because they are constantly worried about their finances or because they constantly desire more. On the contrary, there are some people who aren't financially affluent, but they're happy with whatever they have.

I think even as a single person, there has to be a balance. Nobody could possibly be happy if they are living in destitution unable to pay any bills or buy food. So a comfortable living is necessary rather than abject poverty.
On the other hand, yeah, there's no point being filthy rich if you have nothing meaningful in your life and no time to enjoy yourself.
Original post by Meheraj
What would you choose between money and happiness, as the title suggests? I would choose happiness all day and all night.

I know some people believe, money can buy happiness. But think more. Is it really capable of doing so? What about your inner peace/mental peace?

fulfilment entails happiness
money entails fulfilment
hence
money entails happiness.

I’ll take my infinite bag of money please :smile:
Reply 9
Of course happiness is the more important. Although of course not having enough money to live can be a genuine cause of unhappiness
Money because money pays the bills! Good luck telling your mortgage lender and utility companies that you'll pay them in happiness lol
Reply 11
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I think even as a single person, there has to be a balance. Nobody could possibly be happy if they are living in destitution unable to pay any bills or buy food. So a comfortable living is necessary rather than abject poverty.
On the other hand, yeah, there's no point being filthy rich if you have nothing meaningful in your life and no time to enjoy yourself.

Agree.
Original post by Meheraj
What would you choose between money and happiness, as the title suggests? I would choose happiness all day and all night.

money of course! anytime, any day...it comes with happiness ya know
Reply 13
Money won’t buy happiness but without it you would be miserable.
Not being able to pay your bills, fill the fridge, heat your house, put petrol in your car makes for sleepless nights and painful days. There’s not much chance of happiness in those kind of circumstances!
(edited 1 year ago)
Meheraj did u see pm...
Also I would choose happiness cuz if Ur happy then there would be more chance of u to bee successful and if Ur depressed, U will be depressed and u won't be able to do anything.
Reply 15
Original post by Ineffable-
fulfilment entails happiness
money entails fulfilment
hence
money entails happiness.

I’ll take my infinite bag of money please :smile:

Look at @PinkMobilePhone's last comment. Balancing will keep you happy, not an infinite bag of money.
opinions here choosing happiness are quite funny tho...
I'd rather be depressed on my million dollar yacht than be happy with loads of debts!
Reply 17
Original post by IcEmAn911
Money because money pays the bills! Good luck telling your mortgage lender and utility companies that you'll pay them in happiness lol

Yeah, an amount is definitely needed to pay bills and mortgage. What would you do when you've loads of finance but no happiness (specifically inner peace)?
Young people with no one to financially support pick 'happiness', whilst people who do understand they're mutually exclusive.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Young people with no one to financially support pick 'happiness', whilst people who do understand they're mutually exclusive.

wise words there

Quick Reply

Latest