The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Schizophrenia which is quite simple so no complaints there.

Addictive behaviour I am struggling with! I don't even think it's that hard but the lesson notes I'm learning from seem so unbalanced. I feel I know alot of A02 but hardly enough A02 and surely I should know double the A02!?

It truly is grating on me, research methods isn't to bad.

I'm also resitting unit 3, really need to start revising for that soon!
I don't really understand the new specification, so if someone can just tell me clearly, it'll help a lot.

What parts have been removed in these topics.

Shchizophrenia

Media

Research Methods

Thank You. :smile:
Original post by Mephestic
For the essay questions generally you outline the theories behind the question, then provide some research in favour or support and evaluate the theories and research studies themselves then based on this. Throw in some issues, debates and approach elements too if you need to boost the evaluative marks up if you need.

Thats generally what I aim for.

Im doing Schizo and media so cant really help; I havnt touched research methods much but thats what the next month is for now...Have been working on media and schizo and time to keep consildating it and now moving onto research personally.

I cant wait till this is all over personally as like yourself I have been self-studying psychology the last year since last February and its taken its toll as im working full time too.

Have you sat any papers yet? or do you plan to sit them all together this next coming exam window? :redface:

Ah that's great thank you so much! :smile:

I'm doing the same to be honest. I've done a lot of everything else but haven't done a huge amount of research in quite a while.

I'm taking all of them in June, along with resitting a couple of philosophy exams as I'm currently 1 mark off an A and I should be an A grade student. :smile: So yes, 4 self taught psychology units and 2 Philosophy A2 resits. I have a fun couple of months coming up. :wink:

Lots of hard work but hoping it'll pay off in August! What are your plans once you've completed it? Off to University or is it for a specific job that requires it? :smile: (Or just for fun because I'm sure some people do that too!)
Original post by AwkwardPenguin
Ah that's great thank you so much! :smile:

I'm doing the same to be honest. I've done a lot of everything else but haven't done a huge amount of research in quite a while.

I'm taking all of them in June, along with resitting a couple of philosophy exams as I'm currently 1 mark off an A and I should be an A grade student. :smile: So yes, 4 self taught psychology units and 2 Philosophy A2 resits. I have a fun couple of months coming up. :wink:

Lots of hard work but hoping it'll pay off in August! What are your plans once you've completed it? Off to University or is it for a specific job that requires it? :smile: (Or just for fun because I'm sure some people do that too!)

its actually for fun coupled with just improving my potential job prospects if I'm honest.
it may open I few doors where I work as there are training programmes but they are quite selective so hoping this holds me in better stead than others really.

also its just to improve my ucas points also if I ever decide to take up a part time degree also sometime in the future.

I may take up maths next I think but not after a long break lol.

I wouldn't take psychology as a degree if I were you, I would pick something with more weight at university but that just my opinion.

your quite brave to be doing all 4 units-that's a lot to take on!

do let me know how you get on as I don't think I'm brave enough to manage that nor smart enough
(edited 12 years ago)
its actually for fun coupled with just improving my potential job prospects if I'm honest.
it may open I few doors where I work as there are training programmes but they are quite selective so hoping this holds me in better stead than others really.

also its just to improve my ucas points also if I ever decide to take up a part time degree also sometime in the future.

I may take up maths next I think but not after a long break lol.

I wouldn't take psychology as a degree if I were you, I would pick something with more weight at university but that just my opinion.

your quite brave to be doing all 4 units-that's a lot to take on!

do let me know how you get on as I don't think I'm brave enough to manage that nor smart enough

Personally I want to do post-grad medicine. I can't do it at undergrad because I don't have the right subjects to do that or anything even slightly science based other than psychology. (I have English Literature, History, Philosophy, Theatre Studies and soon Psychology.) The plan is to do Psych at Uni and while I'm there do a Chemistry A-Level which you need for some post-grad medicine courses. Then I'll be in a very good position (because I've spoken to the universities and they count Psychology as a science at degree level) with the Chemistry A-Level and the Psychology degree to get in for Medicine. :smile:

So yes... That's my plan. :biggrin:

Thank you and I will do! :smile: I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
Reply 385
Original post by Heyimdec
Apologies for the delay Jem! :biggrin:

My teacher has given us these two double pages to cover the spec changes for Vulnerability to Addiction (Risk Factors) and Theory of Planned Behaviour: http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/oxed/secondary/psychology/a2_addiction_update.pdf

I'm learning from these as my teacher assures me this is adequate for the spec changes. :smile:

Hey,
Thank-you so much for the addiction stuff has come in very useful especially as my substitute psychology teacher doesn't believe there has been a spec change! x
Reply 386
Im doing Schizo and media

What are the potential questions that can be asked in the media section?
Guys. Heres a good revision pack for Media. Hope you enjoy it
Guys, what are the specification changes for the media psychology section, are there any changes or removals of any topics?
Literally just found this thread and its an amaze idea!

We're doing Media, Depression and Research methods :yawn:
Reply 390
Original post by VanessaXD
Guys, what are the specification changes for the media psychology section, are there any changes or removals of any topics?

See here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12-SOC.PDF

Scroll down to PSYA4 and find the relevant topic. :smile:
Reply 391
Original post by Harrimusic
Literally just found this thread and its an amaze idea!

We're doing Media, Depression and Research methods :yawn:

Welcome :shakehand:

I'm doing Depression too, how are you finding it? :smile:
Am I the only one doing OCD lol?
See here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12-SOC.PDF

Scroll down to PSYA4 and find the relevant topic. :smile:

Thanks....(:
Btw are you going to learn 25 markers for media...the questions are usually broken down to 10 marks or so and there are 8 topics, so IDK =\
Reply 394
Thanks....(:
Btw are you going to learn 25 markers for media...the questions are usually broken down to 10 marks or so and there are 8 topics, so IDK =\

You won't get a 24 mark question on Media as it is in Section B of the exam. The maximum question in terms of marks would be 10, for this section anyway.

Section A (either Schizophrenia, Depression, OCD or Phobias) will contain your 24 mark question or possibly an 8+16.

So to answer your question, no. :smile:
You won't get a 24 mark question on Media as it is in Section B of the exam. The maximum question in terms of marks would be 10, for this section anyway.

Section A (either Schizophrenia, Depression, OCD or Phobias) will contain your 24 mark question or possibly an 8+16.

So to answer your question, no. :smile:

reeeeeeli =\ my teacher is making me do 25 markers for them -.-
Reply 396
reeeeeeli =\ my teacher is making me do 25 markers for them -.-

Does your teacher know the layout of the exam? Haha.

We'll only get a 24 mark question on Section A (Depression in our case).

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PSYA4-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Here is a paper if you want to see for yourself. :biggrin:
Does your teacher know the layout of the exam? Haha.

We'll only get a 24 mark question on Section A (Depression in our case).

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PSYA4-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Here is a paper if you want to see for yourself. :biggrin:

I don't think she does :P
oh cool ...thanks for letting me know otherwise I would have revised more than I should have....hehe I found the Jan 2012 paper, it is quite easy so I hope our paper is too (:
Reply 398
I don't think she does :P
oh cool ...thanks for letting me know otherwise I would have revised more than I should have....hehe I found the Jan 2012 paper, it is quite easy so I hope our paper is too (:

That's ok, been hearing a lot of complaints about teachers recently.

Yes, I hope our exam is nice too. Good luck! :biggrin:
That's ok, been hearing a lot of complaints about teachers recently.

Yes, I hope our exam is nice too. Good luck! :biggrin:

I know :tongue:
thanks ..you too :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending