The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by GemmaB45
hmm im confused now :P.

So whats actually not required anymore? Sorry to bug you, im just confused as to what they mean by legislation being removed.

If they remove it, but we can still get marks for it, then whats the point in removing it :s-smilie: haha.

Im confused too but I don't think it matters too much since I've only got a small paragraph of content on legislation anyway and so if you really want to mention it should be fine but as long as it relates to the question.
Reply 1781
Original post by Spik3z
Im confused too but I don't think it matters too much since I've only got a small paragraph of content on legislation anyway and so if you really want to mention it should be fine but as long as it relates to the question.

Okay so i could just use it as another intervention type, however there wont be a specific question on it?

Ahh exam boards really love to make everything confusing dont they.

Did you hear about the edexcel exam board sending A2 exams to Egyptian schools instead haha.
Reply 1782
I dont mind it..but im just thankful as its pretty straight forward and makes sense!

Well all the questions that i had predicted for unit3 came up so i was pretty happy, but i really dont think theres enough time to write 3 decent essays in an hour n a half!! :frown: so i was pretty rushed. Handwriting = awful !

I did Aggression, eating behaviours and intelligence.

What about you?

Aggression, Sleep and Relationships.

Loved Aggression! :biggrin:
Reply 1783
Okay so i could just use it as another intervention type, however there wont be a specific question on it?

Ahh exam boards really love to make everything confusing dont they.

Did you hear about the edexcel exam board sending A2 exams to Egyptian schools instead haha.

LOOOOL fail.

Instead you could use Doctor's advice, Workplace intervention, increasing costs, control of sales or reducing harmful components (within the public health interventions)
Reply 1784
Can anyone please explain how to answer those research methods questions that ask you to design a study? Like, just outline the basics of what I'd need to write and how much detail am I supposed to go into?
What are the main things to remember for bar graph/scattergram/histogram writing?!
Reply 1786
Original post by honor
Can anyone please explain how to answer those research methods questions that ask you to design a study? Like, just outline the basics of what I'd need to write and how much detail am I supposed to go into?

Title

Abstract
Hypothesis, description of method, description of major findings

Introduction
General theory, aims

Hypotheses
alternative and null, one/two tailed, operationalised

Method
- Design
method, experimental design, observation techniques, identify variables, ethical issues
- Participants
researchers, target population, sampling method, actual sample, how they were assigned to conditions
- Materials
- Standardised procedure
exact steps taken, where the research was conducted, instructions given to researchers, instructions given to participants, debriefing, any other details needed for replication.

How to write up for a 10 mark question

1. Hypothesis (1 vs 2 tailed, operationalise variables)
2. Research method (might be in given text, justify)
3. Experimental design (related/unrelated, justify)
4. List variables (explain fully, operationalise, explain why an EV is an EV)
5. Participants (target population, age, gender, location)
6. Sampling (which technique, size, justify)
7. Materials (questionnaire open/closed? Data qualititative/quantitive?)
8. Procedure (very clear, from approach p.s to debrief)
9. Appropriate stats test.

Credit goes to the original members who wrote them :smile:
you know for the 'psychological explanations of schizophrenia' essay..would it be okay to include cognitive explanations such as differentiating between external and internal stimuli and the role of attention?
Original post by Jess9
Ah, we have one like that! I know what you mean. I understand where I've gone wrong now! Did you see the question where there was a table and it showed first born artists, etc. I was getting it confused with this! I need some more practise at those tests though, cos one comes up on every paper, doesn't it?

Gunna have a look if there's any worksheets anywhere on it :')

Yeah there's always one at some stage of the paper :smile: what other topics are you doing?
Reply 1789
Original post by joshadams
Yeah there's always one at some stage of the paper :smile: what other topics are you doing?

Schizophrenia and Addiction.
you?
PEOPLE
Am really struggling with research methods
How do you revise it?????!!!!!
It is just so boring that it doesn't stay in my brain!
Reply 1791
Original post by Jess9
Aggression, Sleep and Relationships.

Loved Aggression! :biggrin:

Yeah i loved aggression too! Plus the question that came up was a god send :P
Original post by hannah_27
PEOPLE
Am really struggling with research methods
How do you revise it?????!!!!!
It is just so boring that it doesn't stay in my brain!

What you have to do is get something really heavy and hard..say something like a hammer.

Then you get that hammer swing back and forth hard and fast....and you wack your head with it.

If youve done it hard enough and right - everything should just "click".

You will only have to do it once - trust me :tongue:

(on a serious note - just keep doing past papers and cross-checking with the mark schemes - its the best way I find :s-smilie:)
Original post by Mephestic
What you have to do is get something really heavy and hard..say something like a hammer.

Then you get that hammer swing back and forth hard and fast....and you wack your head with it.

If youve done it hard enough and right - everything should just "click".

You will only have to do it once - trust me :tongue:

(on a serious note - just keep doing past papers and cross-checking with the mark schemes - its the best way I find :s-smilie:)

AHAAHAH!!!
Glad someone has some humor during these stressful times!
Yeh, past papers seem to be the only hope!
Could we get asked a 24 mark question on only one explanation/theapy for schizophrenia, or would it be two or more?
Reply 1795
Original post by Spik3z
Title

Abstract
Hypothesis, description of method, description of major findings

Introduction
General theory, aims

Hypotheses
alternative and null, one/two tailed, operationalised

Method
- Design
method, experimental design, observation techniques, identify variables, ethical issues
- Participants
researchers, target population, sampling method, actual sample, how they were assigned to conditions
- Materials
- Standardised procedure
exact steps taken, where the research was conducted, instructions given to researchers, instructions given to participants, debriefing, any other details needed for replication.

How to write up for a 10 mark question

1. Hypothesis (1 vs 2 tailed, operationalise variables)
2. Research method (might be in given text, justify)
3. Experimental design (related/unrelated, justify)
4. List variables (explain fully, operationalise, explain why an EV is an EV)
5. Participants (target population, age, gender, location)
6. Sampling (which technique, size, justify)
7. Materials (questionnaire open/closed? Data qualititative/quantitive?)
8. Procedure (very clear, from approach p.s to debrief)
9. Appropriate stats test.

Credit goes to the original members who wrote them :smile:

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1796
For the classfication of schizophrenia, how many of the symptoms do you need to exhibit?

I know the DSM says you need the symptoms for 6 months and the ICD for 1, but I can't find anywhere how many of the symtoms you need to have before you are diagnosed.

Thanks
Original post by 1L8A7D9
For the classfication of schizophrenia, how many of the symptoms do you need to exhibit?

I know the DSM says you need the symptoms for 6 months and the ICD for 1, but I can't find anywhere how many of the symtoms you need to have before you are diagnosed.

Thanks

Iv memorised the classification and clinical charecteristics answer in one!

2 or more symptoms needed under DSM for a period of at least 1 month are needed for diagnosis and then classification includes:

social/occuptational dysfunction - self-care, occupational function markedly below original levels.

Duration - Symptoms persist for a period of upto 6 months

exclusion of known mood disorders - no mood disorders such as depression/elation occuring during psychotic episodes.

exclusion of known organic cause - symptoms are not due to drugs or a brain disorder that is known.

I think thats right :s-smilie: someone better confirm for me :s-smilie:
Reply 1798
Predictions for anomalistic?
has anyone got the January 2012 paper?! :smile: thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending