The Student Room Group

*VIDEO* Man in America shot by police

Graphic and all that.

He was carrying a crowbar and went to supposedly hit one of the police officers, I suspect he was trying to keep them at a distance, but that got him shot multiple times point blank, I guess he though he was just going to get more pepper spray? Apparently not!

Oh well, have your field day TSR.

Spoiler

My only opinion is that he was given a LOT of bullets even when he was down and the officer firing was restraining a dog, those bullets can go anywhere, completely unprofessional and dumb, I ain't saying unnecessary.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

He went towards an officer with a weapon, the other officer responded to protect the first. Seems reasonable enough to me. :dontknow:

He sure as hell isn't going to threaten another officer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
It's America.....
Reply 3
guy is armed with a metal bar and you gave a gun, your obviously going to win. So unneeded, you should not shoot an unarmed man, if he had a gun then ok. Plus if you HAD to shoot, take out his legs, you wouldnt empty the whole round in his upper body :/
But then again, its america, you wouldn't expect common sense from them...
Reply 4
its america ... they taser 12year old girls in the street ... disgraceful police force.
Reply 5
They are the mafia. They can do what they like generally.
Reply 6
Original post by chrislpp
My only opinion is that he was given a LOT of bullets even when he was down

You shoot until you are certain the guy is not gonna get back up. Might seem like overkill, but if you are the police officer whose life is at stake then it makes sense.
Reply 7
Meanwhile in Britain:

I feel an appropriate police response lies somewhere between these two poles.
Reply 8
Original post by flugelr
You shoot until you are certain the guy is not gonna get back up. Might seem like overkill, but if you are the police officer whose life is at stake then it makes sense.

How exactly is someone just shot going to be an immediate threat to the police? One shot is all it takes, not five.
Reply 9
Original post by Beneb
Meanwhile in Britain:

I feel an appropriate police response lies somewhere between these two poles.

Benny hill themetune anyone?
Reply 10
I wondered if this would make it here.

So there's a few things to point out.

Firstly, in that video you can see the Police taser the man. They Taser him, and it has no effect. They clearly try to use non-lethal force first.

The man is repeatedly told to drop the weapon, he does not, instead he moves to swing what is a large metal pole or hammer at a Police Officer. At this point, the other Police Officer is perfectly within his right to use lethal force to stop the criminal. Because that criminal is using lethal force at this point.

Now, as for the amount of shots fired. First of all, you should all be told, this isn't a film. In real life, Police do not shoot for the legs or arms. They aim for centre mass. For two reasons. Firstly, aiming for an arm or leg means a high chance of missing, which means that bullet has to go somewhere, possibly harming an innocent bystander. Secondly, the notion that shooting someone in the arm or leg is less dangerous than shooting the centre mass is false. It is just as deadly. When Police, especially Police in countries where they are all armed shoot, they shoot to kill. They are trained to neutralise the threat. That is why most often you will see multiple officers firing, or a single officer firing at least 2 or 3 shots. This is because under the influence of Adrenaline, a single, or even two or three 9mm rounds will not stop a full grown man, unless they sever certain arteries or nerves. It is a principle of protecting themselves and the public. If you are in a situation where you have had to use deadly force, then you, or bystanders, have been threatened with deadly force.

So let's put this into context. A criminal has been threateneing people with a lethal weapon. He has been told to put it down, by armed Police. He has refused to comply. The Police have tried to use non-lethal methods to supress him, and it has not worked. The criminal then swings a possibly leathal weapon at your fellow officer, who cannot protect himself. What do you do? Personally, I would shoot that man, I would follow my training and put 3 shots to centre mass. I would not allow my fellow officer to smacked in the head with a metal pipe, because hey, a pipe's not a gun.

That Officer followed his training and was in the right. Though the way people on this thread are talking, it would seem lethal force is only justified if the criminal has already killed someone :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by Sabertooth
He went towards an officer with a weapon, the other officer responded to protect the first. Seems reasonable enough to me. :dontknow:

He sure as hell isn't going to threaten another officer.

Shooting him 10 times seems reasonable?

I think they should have shot him in the arm or leg once.
Original post by Steevee

Firstly, in that video you can see the Police taser the man. They Taser him, and it has no effect. They clearly try to use non-lethal force first.

The man is repeatedly told to drop the weapon, he does not, instead he moves to swing what is a large metal pole or hammer at a Police Officer. At this point, the other Police Officer is perfectly within his right to use lethal force to stop the criminal. Because that criminal is using lethal force at this point.

Now, as for the amount of shots fired. First of all, you should all be told, this isn't a film. In real life, Police do not shoot for the legs or arms. They aim for centre mass. For two reasons. Firstly, aiming for an arm or leg means a high chance of missing, which means that bullet has to go somewhere, possibly harming an innocent bystander. Secondly, the notion that shooting someone in the arm or leg is less dangerous than shooting the centre mass is false. It is just as deadly. When Police, especially Police in countries where they are all armed shoot, they shoot to kill. They are trained to neutralise the threat. That is why most often you will see multiple officers firing, or a single officer firing at least 2 or 3 shots. This is because under the influence of Adrenaline, a single, or even two or three 9mm rounds will not stop a full grown man, unless they sever certain arteries or nerves. It is a principle of protecting themselves and the public. If you are in a situation where you have had to use deadly force, then you, or bystanders, have been threatened with deadly force.

So let's put this into context. A criminal has been threateneing people with a lethal weapon. He has been told to put it down, by armed Police. He has refused to comply. The Police have tried to use non-lethal methods to supress him, and it has not worked. The criminal then swings a possibly leathal weapon at your fellow officer, who cannot protect himself. What do you do? Personally, I would shoot that man, I would follow my training and put 3 shots to centre mass. I would not allow my fellow officer to smacked in the head with a metal pipe, because hey, a pipe's not a gun.

That Officer followed his training and was in the right. Though the way people on this thread are talking, it would seem lethal force is only justified if the criminal has already killed someone :rolleyes:

Wow i actually agree with this. Well done Steve.
Reply 13
That officer should definitely get some kind of discipline.
The person didn't pose an immediate threat (he didn't have a gun or anything), all they needed to do was knock him off balance or stop him advancing on the other police officer, so one bullet would have completely been enough.
I guess police officers relish the opportunity to use their guns :rolleyes:
Original post by ed-
That officer should definitely get some kind of discipline.
The person didn't pose an immediate threat (he didn't have a gun or anything), all they needed to do was knock him off balance or stop him advancing on the other police officer, so one bullet would have completely been enough.
I guess police officers relish the opportunity to use their guns :rolleyes:

How do you know? Are you trained in firearms use? were you close enough to judge distances and threats?
I'm most shocked at the reaction of the people watching.
They just saw a man get shot and they're just like " OMMMG Duuudeeee, Fucckkk" and laughing; seriously?! :lolwut:
Oh, America. :no:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Steevee

Thank god, someone with some actual sense..
Reply 17
The freaking tazer has no effect at all so he's probably on PCP, he clearly goes to hit the officer which is a hostile gesture.

They didn't turn up to shoot him for god's sake, they had weapons drawn, the guy saw that and continued what he was doing despite being told to put the bar down, he makes a hostile action, they've tried to tazer him, it's horrible and no one likes it but what else were they meant to do??
Original post by H.Maleki
guy is armed with a metal bar and you gave a gun, your obviously going to win. So unneeded, you should not shoot an unarmed man, if he had a gun then ok. Plus if you HAD to shoot, take out his legs, you wouldnt empty the whole round in his upper body :/
But then again, its america, you wouldn't expect common sense from them...

And how exactly are you going to "win" if you don't use the gun? And he was not unarmed, if you watch the video, you can see he was carrying something which he looked like he was about to swing at the policeman.
Reply 19
A few bullets to the legs wouldn't have worked...why?

The guy that was shot was probably a complete douche anyway, but I don't think anyone deserves being shot while you are already down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending