The Student Room Group

S***** Harassment at university

I’m currently being harassed by people in my university.

I’m at postgraduate level and my class size is around 200 because of how popular the course is. I have been harassed by 5 different men who do not know each other in class. I’d like some advice on how to handle this.

All the men approaching me happen to be aged 20-40yrs old (I’m 22). They spam with me messages, ask to come to my home when I don’t even know them, they follow me in class, one has taken videos of me while sat right next to me (I was too scared in the moment to tell him to stop). They have been bossy with me, assumed I want relationships with them when I’ve only spoken back to them out of politeness. They ask for my address and ask invasive details about myself.

This has made me miss a lot of classes and I’m no longer comfortable participating in my course because the minute I get rid of one man another approaches me days later. I am a quiet person who doesn’t approach anyone in class, these people come up to me without invitation and I don’t understand why. The university are trying to handle the situation but that doesn’t take away the uncomfortable feeling I get when I enter the classroom.
Reply 1
Report it to the police, providing any evidence you have.

In the meantime, try and find someone you are comfortable with to accompany you snd sit with you, to keep these men away.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Report it to the police, providing any evidence you have.

In the meantime, try and find someone you are comfortable with to accompany you snd sit with you, to keep these men away.

Unfortunately I’m unable to get anybody to sit by me in class. I have no friends within class, as I’m the only girl of my nationality all the other girls snub me and throw dirty looks my way within their groups. Then men look at me like I’m a piece of meat that is allowed to be stared at constantly. I’d bring my friends outside of class in to sit by me but it can’t happen. People are only allowed to attend our class if they have our course card to scan and prove we attend the class, they would be denied access at the doors of the class :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending