The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by IlexAquifolium

Original post by IlexAquifolium
I always thought that looked like a really interesting job. When I teach stats to the undergrads measuring risk is something I always try and bring into it because it really gets them thinking.

I enjoy it but I think it takes a certain type of person to really be "into" it. The work is interesting for the most part but while you're still relatively inexperienced, I think you have to accept that a lot of the time you'll be confined to your desk and will only be communicating with fellow actuaries. The dynamics do change quite significantly when you're qualified/nearing qualification, however.
Reply 501
Original post by The Lyceum
Do Combibo's have free WIFI?

I'm the wrong person to ask this kind of question, I'm afraid, because I don't normally carry my laptop around with me. The battery died in 2007 and I've been using it as a desktop computer ever since.:p:
Original post by hobnob
I'm the wrong person to ask this kind of question, I'm afraid, because I don't normally carry my laptop around with me. The battery died in 2007 and I've been using it as a desktop computer ever since.:p:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:yep:

Thanks girls. Probably going to have to go there when the Library kicks us all out. Plus I want the nice Christmassy drinks while I still can.
Original post by hobnob
Oh really? Then why are you fanning the flames by playing passive-aggressive about this?

I honestly can't see what your problem is. If you're so tired of the same old people still holding the same old views and don't want to have the same old debates all over again, you're free to ignore them until the whole thing blows over again (as it usually does after a while), but I don't see why you suddenly have to start sniping from the sidelines like this.

Oh, there's nothing sudden. I just wouldn't have said it openly before.
Thanks girls. Probably going to have to go there when the Library kicks us all out. Plus I want the nice Christmassy drinks while I still can.

You're welcome. I used to practically live in the place. Ah, how I miss it! :nopity:

You made me want mulled wine!
Think I'm going to make some tonight :yep:
Reply 506
You're welcome. I used to practically live in the place. Ah, how I miss it! :nopity:

The tutor I had at Worcester used to tell me it was pretty much the inofficial JCR, MCR and SCR of the college.:biggrin:
Original post by hobnob
The tutor I had at Worcester used to tell me it was pretty much the inofficial JCR, MCR and SCR of the college.:biggrin:

Pretty much. She would know there: if anyone lived in Combibos more than I did, it was her :p:

It was sometimes annoying though because you had to be careful what you talked about, coz there was usually a tutor a table or two down from you :ninja:
Original post by Craghyrax
You made me want mulled wine!
Think I'm going to make some tonight :yep:

Oh me too now, though I should try to diet. I guess I can't go to any formals this term because my suits no longer fit me...great!

Mm...wine with cloves, cardamom, fennel, a hint of orange and lemon zest with perhaps a pinch of cinnamon and chocolate....steam wafting everywhere, watching "Love Actually" or "The Holiday" before you go to play with your cats/ a boardgame with your family. I miss Christmas....

Instead I'm in the library, examining the social organisation of a people who became so advanced and brilliant for seemingly the sole purpose of killing other people. Oh and I'm absolutely staaaaaarving. I would murder for a pizza. I would literally...shank a guy...for...a..pizza..

Also Hobnob tbf you introduced me to the place; easily my favourite coffee place in Ox.
Pretty much. She would know there: if anyone lived in Combibos more than I did, it was her :p:

It was sometimes annoying though because you had to be careful what you talked about, coz there was usually a tutor a table or two down from you :ninja:

Hahaha yeah! I saw a Classics tutor trying to chat up a woman there. He was hilariously bad at it. He looked like Harry Potter too. It was great entertainment.
Hahaha yeah! I saw a Classics tutor trying to chat up a woman there. He was hilariously bad at it. He looked like Harry Potter too. It was great entertainment.

There's a Classics tutor who looks like Harry Potter? :awesome:

This social organisation you're examining: not the Death Eaters from Harry Potter by any chance? Sounds like it :p:
Oh me too now, though I should try to diet. I guess I can't go to any formals this term because my suits no longer fit me...great!

Mm...wine with cloves, cardamom, fennel, a hint of orange and lemon zest with perhaps a pinch of cinnamon and chocolate....steam wafting everywhere, watching "Love Actually" or "The Holiday" before you go to play with your cats/ a boardgame with your family. I miss Christmas....

Instead I'm in the library, examining the social organisation of a people who became so advanced and brilliant for seemingly the sole purpose of killing other people. Oh and I'm absolutely staaaaaarving. I would murder for a pizza. I would literally...shank a guy...for...a..pizza..

Also Hobnob tbf you introduced me to the place; easily my favourite coffee place in Ox.

:lol: I can't believe you like those films. I got the Holiday at a charity shop this Christmas, so watched it recently (alone because Dave can't stand those films).
I bought some of those boxes of little mulled wine spice sachets recently to make sure I could still have mulled wine when its cold, even if its not Christmas anymore!

And I'm in the same boat with clothes not fitting :frown: Wretched new Uni situation where gym is the other side of the city :grumble: But I'm making a big effort to sort that out. At the very least I can force myself to always gym on days I have to go into campus for something or another, which will be an improvement if not as much as I used to go...
Reply 512

With a scar on his forehead and a pet owl on his shoulder?
Original post by hobnob
With a scar on his forehead and a pet owl on his shoulder?

:rofl:

Unfortunately I've already repped you today :sadnod:

All jokes aside, I know a Classics tutor who blates should have played Professor Umbridge in the Harry Potter films :ninja:
:rofl:

Unfortunately I've already repped you today :sadnod:

All jokes aside, I know a Classics tutor who blates should have played Professor Umbridge in the Harry Potter films :ninja:

I know one or two who could have done an admirable Voldemort.

He just...looked like potter, skinny, hair, glasses etc. He lacks Harry's game though. :colonhash:
I know one or two who could have done an admirable Voldemort.

He just...looked like potter, skinny, hair, glasses etc. He lacks Harry's game though. :colonhash:

:eek: :afraid: :eek:

We had a lecturer who was a cross between Daniel Craig's ugly mousey-haired younger brother and Lord Voldemort :sadnod: I just sat there in lecture like this, instead of paying attention:

:eek: :eyeball: :eek:

It didn't help that he wore oversized abysmal-looking jumpers :s-smilie:
Reply 516
Original post by m:)ckel
I enjoy it but I think it takes a certain type of person to really be "into" it. The work is interesting for the most part but while you're still relatively inexperienced, I think you have to accept that a lot of the time you'll be confined to your desk and will only be communicating with fellow actuaries. The dynamics do change quite significantly when you're qualified/nearing qualification, however.

Had to smile. My father was dead keen for me to do actuarial science, but I just couldn't see my way clear to doing that much maths and stats at uni! A few actuaries work at my current company and they all do stuff far different from when they started out.

Mm...wine with cloves, cardamom, fennel, a hint of orange and lemon zest with perhaps a pinch of cinnamon and chocolate....steam wafting everywhere, watching "Love Actually" or "The Holiday" before you go to play with your cats/ a boardgame with your family.

I love Love Actually :smile: . And playing with my cats.

On snow... We were in NYC during that huge blizzard at the end of 2010. Coming from the sunny snow-starved southern hemisphere we loved it, but my friends/family who live there were not so charmed with the disruptions to their daily lives.
Reply 517
Six Nations, sofa, copious amounts of tea and biscuits, a gas fire = heaven.

I am working as well though - desperately trying to find books/articles/theses/anything on this area of research but it's proving very very hard...
Original post by Craghyrax
:lol: I can't believe you like those films. I got the Holiday at a charity shop this Christmas, so watched it recently (alone because Dave can't stand those films).
I bought some of those boxes of little mulled wine spice sachets recently to make sure I could still have mulled wine when its cold, even if its not Christmas anymore!

And I'm in the same boat with clothes not fitting :frown: Wretched new Uni situation where gym is the other side of the city :grumble: But I'm making a big effort to sort that out. At the very least I can force myself to always gym on days I have to go into campus for something or another, which will be an improvement if not as much as I used to go...

Are you telling me that you've seen Love Actually and you didn't like it?? It's one of my favourite films ever (right after Bridget Jones :tongue:)

I miss Christmas too...instead I'm sitting here preparing for a presentation on textual criticism, where basically I need to examine the different words the manuscripts have and say which one I think is the right one. All fine most of the times, but when one manuscript has "inclutus" and the other has "inclitus", both meaning the exact same thing (basically the same word spelled in two ways) HOW AM I GONNA DECIDE WHICH ONE IS CORRECT??????????
Original post by Xristina
Are you telling me that you've seen Love Actually and you didn't like it?? It's one of my favourite films ever (right after Bridget Jones :tongue:)

Nope. I'm telling you I'm surprised your boyfriend likes chickflicks :p: Nothing wrong with that (quite handy for you obviously), but its still unusual. (or at least its unusual for men to admit it :wink: )

Latest

Trending

Trending