The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

How long d'you reckon you'll be in for? I hear what you're saying. I left hospital way too early and now i'm on my way back tomorrow. Don't leave until you're 100% :smile:
:hugs: Hope you don't need to be in for too long, and are ok when you get out
I cannot write this essay. F**k. It's just not going to happen.
Original post by xbethany
I cannot write this essay. F**k. It's just not going to happen.

What's the essay on?
Reply 4304
Original post by Sabertooth
Got told everything is fine, apparently because I don't have thought disorder everything is fine and dandy.

After an hour and a half of arguing I got given quetiapine. I swore I'd never take that **** again and yet here I am, with another prescription for it, that's how desperate for sleep I am.

Also found out my prolactin levels are 4000 times higher than normal. I feel like that's some kind of achievement. How many people can say they have 4000 times the normal amount of anything? Hell yeah :cool: U-S-A U-S-A!

4000 times? dude - :five:

Did he not seem concerned by your lack of sleep? I read your later post about the quetiapine not working :frown: I know this might sound dim, but how does quetiapine interact with zop? Could you try just taking the quetiapine and see if it works on its own?

Wish I could send you some sleep over the internet, but alas I do not have a lot to spare... Got 4 hours last night, better than normal :biggrin: (:s-smilie:)

Original post by avhhs
Thanks :jumphug:. And still feeling better :smile:. Got loads of homework for tomorrow, but right now it seems nothing can ruin my mood.

:biggrin: :biggrin: lool. Two things happened:

Spoiler

Aah - tmi sharing ftw :wink:

Spoiler

Glad you are still feeling ok :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4305
Just been told my uncle has cancer. Really really worried about him :cry2:

Wow we have ****ty genes* - too many family diagnoses - it seems to be either cancer or mental health issues.

*best not pass them on then :sad:
Original post by SeaJay
Just been told my uncle has cancer. Really really worried about him :cry2:

Wow we have ****ty genes* - too many family diagnoses - it seems to be either cancer or mental health issues.

*best not pass them on then :sad:

Aw. I'm sorry. Remember, everybody in the society is here for you if you ever need us :hugs:
Original post by bullettheory
Sorry to hear about UCAS mate. If it makes you feel any better, my gap year was really fun and they can be quite productive and fun times if you have something to do. :hugs:

Original post by FuzzySheep
I was wondering where you were! I'm sorry to hear about UCAS :hugs: with a gap year, you'll have a huge advantage though, and you can do loads of cool stuff whilst already having your grades. It's not the end by a long shot :hugs:

Hope you've been okay otherwise :smile:

Original post by superwolf

:console: That sucks, but I wouldn't knock gap years, you can have a completely awesome time if you spend your time well. I spent my one mostly volunteering, with a couple of months of travelling thrown in, and it was by far the best year of my life.

I wouldn't mind having to take a gap year if I hadn't already taken time out between my GCSEs and A-levels due to my health. By the time I actually get to uni now, assuming I get in next year, I'll be 22.

I'll possibly be able to get a job as a healthcare assistant at the hospital where I'm currently volunteering - or I'll be able to continue my volunteer work there and do four days a week or so.

I got a letter in the post from UEA today. They gave my application to the faculty of science, who have contacted me and said that they'd be happy to offer me a place to do an MPharm in Pharmacology or an MChem in Biological and Medicinal Chemistry at ABB and AAB respectively, the latter having the option of a year abroad and they put a little note on their letter saying that if I wanted to do a phD that is also a possibility.

Both are very tempting. But if I took the latter option, that'll be six years. It'll cost a fortune, and I wont be able to get funding for a degree in medicine, and I really don't want to do anything besides medicine. So by the time I actually got to study medicine, I'd be almost 30. Not hugely keen on it. But it's quite nice to have been singled out, given that there are only 40 places for the latter course. After a long list of rejections it's a nice little ego boost if nothing else :teehee:

Otherwise, blergh. My leg has been playing up - severely. Had to have a very strong painkiller injected into my thigh last night. Slept like a baby but that's not the point - I don't like it where the pain reaches the point that I have to stay in bed all day and I can't do anything. Also my friend's father had several heart attacks last week. All in all things could be a lot better.

How's everyone else? Missed you guys. Sorry I've not been around so much the past couple of months - the workload is killing me. Got a doctors appointment later. I'll be interested to see what comes of it.
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
x

Hey, you volunteer in a hospital? I had my interview on Monday to volunteer at my local hospital. What kind of things do you get to do? Still not sure whether i'll pass the CRB check due to police sections.
Original post by 35mm_
Hey, you volunteer in a hospital? I had my interview on Monday to volunteer at my local hospital. What kind of things do you get to do? Still not sure whether i'll pass the CRB check due to police sections.

It's quite fun. I get to do a lot of things.

I'm usually in on a friday so I help out with the patients in their physio group (it's a rehab ward for elderly people that have had falls etc), take them to and from their beds etc.

Help them wash and dress on occasion - depends how shorthanded we are. If it's severely shorthanded then I get to do pretty much anything short of writing a prescription lol.

Also on occasion I play chess or cards with the patients. It cheers them up because nobody in the world under the age of 60 besides me knows how to play canasta *shrugs*.

I wouldn't worry about the CRB, unless you knifed a guy in a barfight and did time they probably wont even notice. Seriously - CRB checks are a bit pathetic now. There was a case in the local paper recently about a teacher with a clean CRB that had 17 sexual offences on record. Incredibly disconcerting but it shows how the system works.
Reply 4310
Original post by 35mm_
Aw. I'm sorry. Remember, everybody in the society is here for you if you ever need us :hugs:

Thanks lovely. :hugs:

I hope hospital is ok and helps like its supposed to.

I'm usually in on a friday so I help out with the patients in their physio group (it's a rehab ward for elderly people that have had falls etc), take them to and from their beds etc.

Help them wash and dress on occasion - depends how shorthanded we are. If it's severely shorthanded then I get to do pretty much anything short of writing a prescription lol.

Also on occasion I play chess or cards with the patients. It cheers them up because nobody in the world under the age of 60 besides me knows how to play canasta *shrugs*.

I wouldn't worry about the CRB, unless you knifed a guy in a barfight and did time they probably wont even notice. Seriously - CRB checks are a bit pathetic now. There was a case in the local paper recently about a teacher with a clean CRB that had 17 sexual offences on record. Incredibly disconcerting but it shows how the system works.

Thanks for your reply. Sounds fun. I really want to get this placement :smile:

Sorry, one more question. I've got a training day in a few weeks for six hours. Did you have to do that? Again, what kind of things does it involve? I assume they're not going to teach me how to wash my hands for six whole hours :redface:
Original post by 35mm_
What's the essay on?

"Select five justifications of punishment. Discuss the definitions, how these are applied, how effective they might be and criticisms of them."

I suppose it's not that hard, it's just have I have so little motivation.
Original post by 35mm_

Ooo what area of the hospital are you looking to volunteer in? :smile: I ask because I'm also starting a volunteer placement at my local hospital in the next few weeks. I'm going to be on the acute mental health ward. Wouldn't worry about the CRB check I have a section 136 dating back from October 2010. My last enhanced CRB check it was never mentioned, but for this current placement it did show up. Hospital wasn't in the least bit bothered by it. They said having an experience of mental health problems is a plus rather than a negative for the area I'll be working in.
Original post by xbethany
"Select five justifications of punishment. Discuss the definitions, how these are applied, how effective they might be and criticisms of them."

I suppose it's not that hard, it's just have I have so little motivation.

three things that help motivate me:

caffeine
a ridiculously imminent deadline
chocolate

if you're having trouble with it don't sit dwelling on it, looking at it etc knowing you're going to do nothing, just walk away from it for a bit, maybe try some task or chore a bit less taxing and come back to it later, even if it is quite close to the deadline if it's not happening its not happening. i know how annoying it is when people give you advice on things to do to help when you're depressed that you can't bring yourself to do because you're too depressed so sorry if this is one of those times.
Original post by fire2burn
Ooo what area of the hospital are you looking to volunteer in? :smile: I ask because I'm also starting a volunteer placement at my local hospital in the next few weeks. I'm going to be on the acute mental health ward. Wouldn't worry about the CRB check I have a section 136 dating back from October 2010. My last enhanced CRB check it was never mentioned, but for this current placement it did show up. Hospital wasn't in the least bit bothered by it. They said having an experience of mental health problems is a plus rather than a negative for the area I'll be working in.

Ah, brilliant, how'd you manage to get a place on a mental health ward? Erm, I'm not sure what I'll be doing but it's ward based across the whole hospital. And thanks; feel a little more optimistic now :smile:
Original post by SeaJay
4000 times? dude - :five:

Did he not seem concerned by your lack of sleep? I read your later post about the quetiapine not working :frown: I know this might sound dim, but how does quetiapine interact with zop? Could you try just taking the quetiapine and see if it works on its own?

Wish I could send you some sleep over the internet, but alas I do not have a lot to spare... Got 4 hours last night, better than normal :biggrin: (:s-smilie:)

No, he wasn't concerned. I'm not raving about conspiracies constantly or something therefore I'm fine. :rolleyes: I didn't take the zopiclone until about 3am whereas I took the quetiapine at 9pm, having expected it to work. It made me feel spacey but not sleepy which is a bit of a kick in the balls.

4 hours isn't bad at all. Wish I managed that :tongue:

Sorry to hear about your uncle :hugs:
I'm a lurker, I probably shouldn't be posting but I wanted to vent. :redface:

I've been okay-ish for about a month. I'm having fewer nightmares on citalopram and I'm stressing less about my work. I'm not necessarily feeling better in myself, but I haven't been sinking to the usual lows so I'm taking it as a good sign. However two of my housemates told me last night they've been worrying about me for about a fortnight. They told me they'd noticed I hadn't been eating or even appearing in the kitchen most nights. I'd stopped going swimming, I'd barely left my room, and even though I was saying I was fairly happy they still thought something wasn't right.

I thought about it a little bit and then realised that what they were saying was true, and it shocked me a little that I didn't notice. I can't work out why I'm doing this to myself, and I guess it's upsetting me that I don't know why I'm so unhappy. I love food, I love swimming, and I love seeing my housemates, so why am I shutting myself away?

I told myself before I went to bed that I would get up and have a better day today, but I woke up in a state and I felt even worse than yesterday. My housemate tried to get me to eat breakfast but I could only manage half of a banana, which is completely not normal for me. I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed, let alone shower. And all I can think about is this time in year 11 where I felt exactly the same way - I shut myself in my room for a fortnight, I wouldn't even open my curtains. I refused to eat and I pushed everyone away. There was a reason back then but I can't think of anything now.

I'm meant to be working on a lab report, a computer program and an application form but I cannot concentrate. I feel as if it's just laziness and I'm getting angry at myself for it but a part of me tells me it's something else. I'm worrying about everything and nothing and I just want to get away from it all, so I was thinking of going for a walk, but I can't think of anywhere peaceful enough. And I don't want to get out of bed. Why is this?! :frown:
Saw a GP today. Got put on 20mg of Citalopram for the next two weeks, then I have to go back to see the doctor again. How quickly do side effects usually start? I took my first tablet at about 11am this morning. Also, if I take a tablet in the morning, would I be fine to drink by the evening?

Latest