The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4320
Original post by Unconventional.
Saw a GP today. Got put on 20mg of Citalopram for the next two weeks, then I have to go back to see the doctor again. How quickly do side effects usually start? I took my first tablet at about 11am this morning. Also, if I take a tablet in the morning, would I be fine to drink by the evening?

Usually within a day or two, and you are advised not to drink on it at all, when you take the tablet won't change how that works.
Original post by 35mm_
Ah, brilliant, how'd you manage to get a place on a mental health ward? Erm, I'm not sure what I'll be doing but it's ward based across the whole hospital. And thanks; feel a little more optimistic now :smile:

The consultant psychiatrist at my early intervention team put in a good word for me as did my CPN :smile: Said they thought I'd be well suited for it, had an interview with the hospital and they agreed. Really looking forward to it.

That's good that you feel a bit more optimistic. My CPN has always told me not to worry about police sections i.e. 136's. So long as you can demonstrate you're much better now in the present, they wont dwell on the past too much. Half the time enhanced checks don't even bother listing them anyway :tongue:
Original post by Idle
Usually within a day or two, and you are advised not to drink on it at all, when you take the tablet won't change how that works.

I drink on my meds all the time :colondollar: Makes for a really cheap night out.

I DO NOT CONDONE MY BEHAVIOUR.
Reply 4323
Original post by 35mm_
I drink on my meds all the time :colondollar: Makes for a really cheap night out.

I DO NOT CONDONE MY BEHAVIOUR.

That's why I said advised :tongue:
Original post by fire2burn
The consultant psychiatrist at my early intervention team put in a good word for me as did my CPN :smile: Said they thought I'd be well suited for it, had an interview with the hospital and they agreed. Really looking forward to it.

That's good that you feel a bit more optimistic. My CPN has always told me not to worry about police sections i.e. 136's. So long as you can demonstrate you're much better now in the present, they wont dwell on the past too much. Half the time enhanced checks don't even bother listing them anyway :tongue:

That sounds brilliant. Well done! :smile:

I've recently been referred to the EIT. Haven't been aasessed yet, apparently my consultant is waiting for funding :s-smilie:
Does anybody else suffer from dissocation? It's happening several times a day now for hours at a time, and it's really scaring me.
Original post by Idle

...oh. I'm meant to be going out for my friend's 18th on Friday night. :frown:

Thank you though!

Edit: an NHS webpage says: "...citalopram and escitalopram are unlikely to significantly increase side effects from drinking alcohol." <- so...does that make it ok? :')
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by siani-chan
I'm a lurker, I probably shouldn't be posting but I wanted to vent. :redface:

I've been okay-ish for about a month. I'm having fewer nightmares on citalopram and I'm stressing less about my work. I'm not necessarily feeling better in myself, but I haven't been sinking to the usual lows so I'm taking it as a good sign. However two of my housemates told me last night they've been worrying about me for about a fortnight. They told me they'd noticed I hadn't been eating or even appearing in the kitchen most nights. I'd stopped going swimming, I'd barely left my room, and even though I was saying I was fairly happy they still thought something wasn't right.

I thought about it a little bit and then realised that what they were saying was true, and it shocked me a little that I didn't notice. I can't work out why I'm doing this to myself, and I guess it's upsetting me that I don't know why I'm so unhappy. I love food, I love swimming, and I love seeing my housemates, so why am I shutting myself away?

I told myself before I went to bed that I would get up and have a better day today, but I woke up in a state and I felt even worse than yesterday. My housemate tried to get me to eat breakfast but I could only manage half of a banana, which is completely not normal for me. I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed, let alone shower. And all I can think about is this time in year 11 where I felt exactly the same way - I shut myself in my room for a fortnight, I wouldn't even open my curtains. I refused to eat and I pushed everyone away. There was a reason back then but I can't think of anything now.

I'm meant to be working on a lab report, a computer program and an application form but I cannot concentrate. I feel as if it's just laziness and I'm getting angry at myself for it but a part of me tells me it's something else. I'm worrying about everything and nothing and I just want to get away from it all, so I was thinking of going for a walk, but I can't think of anywhere peaceful enough. And I don't want to get out of bed. Why is this?! :frown:

I wish I had some words of advice but I'm crap at that, but I do hope you feel better soon :hugs: I think a lot of us in here can relate to the lack of concentration, motivation and enthusiam for life in general. You don't want to get out of bed, i'm guessing, because you're still quite depressed. When I'm at my worst I'd spend 17 out of 24 hours a day in bed; not sleeping, but just lying there staring at the ceiling. It's a horrible time for you and I understand completely what you're going through. Feel free to post on this society whenever you want, because it does help (it's helped for me anyway) and everybody in here is really nice and friendly :smile:

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. You need somebody like superwolf to answer you really :colondollar:
Reply 4328

Thank you though!

Edit: an NHS webpage says: "...citalopram and escitalopram are unlikely to significantly increase side effects from drinking alcohol." <- so...does that make it ok? :')

Only have a couple of drinks, see how you react, some people are OK where as some get drunk extremely quickly or have side effects. Then depending on how you react you can do whatever another time.
Trying so incredibly hard not to distance myself from people too much, but I can't help it - that's exactly what I feel like doing. Hiding somewhere by myself, no interactions with anything that lives, no one knowing I'm there and just staying there forever until I...die.

Thank you though!

I drank on citalopram and lived. It might make your night out much cheaper so just go slowly until you figure out how you'll react. My meds now make it so that I can drink a bottle of wine and feel nothing, but one pint of cider and I'll be laughing at the shape of my hand or something equally stupid.

Original post by 35mm_
Does anybody else suffer from dissocation? It's happening several times a day now for hours at a time, and it's really scaring me.

I do. It usually happens if I'm feeling wobbly and start typing or doing other really tactile activities. It's like too much sensory input throws me out of my body. Lying on a hard floor and 'connecting' to each part of my body (as in "this is my finger; it can feel the breeze. this is my hand; it can feel the floor" etc.) is the only thing that stops me from becoming hysterical (in yoga: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/482) but I have to be very careful because as I come 'back' it throws my senses into overload and my symmetrical OCD kicks in and I'll sit there doing patterns on my body until I even out.

I had awful dissociation at yoga two weeks ago and became hysterical while in child pose. I could have actually died from shame. It's no fun at all so you get all of the sympathy.

ETA: I find my girlfriend talking about it can trigger the feelings too. Useful when her entire PhD is based on disorders :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Citalopram makes me get drunk a lot quicker, and makes me much more impulsive when I am drunk, but that's it.

I'm thinking about asking for my dosage to be upped, but I dunno how well that'd go down with the doctor. I don't feel like 20mg is doing anything at all now, I'm just as bad as I was before I went on anything.

Boyfriend has gone mental and split up with me on Friday completely out of the blue, with no explanation, and now seems incredibly angry at me and wants me to never speak to him again, despite me having done nothing :s-smilie: people are weird.
ParadoxSocks
I drank on citalopram and lived. It might make your night out much cheaper so just go slowly until you figure out how you'll react. My meds now make it so that I can drink a bottle of wine and feel nothing, but one pint of cider and I'll be laughing at the shape of my hand or something equally stupid.

Idle
Only have a couple of drinks, see how you react, some people are OK where as some get drunk extremely quickly or have side effects. Then depending on how you react you can do whatever another time.

Ok, will do. I have a low tolerance to alcohol anyway so I will make sure to take things really slow. I'll tell a few of my friends so they can be aware of it as well. Does it tend to make hangovers worse too? I was just browsing internet forums and saw some people say that about it too. -.-

Also, just as a general question, how long are people usually on anti-depressants for?
Original post by LostHorizons
Citalopram makes me get drunk a lot quicker, and makes me much more impulsive when I am drunk, but that's it.

I'm thinking about asking for my dosage to be upped, but I dunno how well that'd go down with the doctor. I don't feel like 20mg is doing anything at all now, I'm just as bad as I was before I went on anything.

Boyfriend has gone mental and split up with me on Friday completely out of the blue, with no explanation, and now seems incredibly angry at me and wants me to never speak to him again, despite me having done nothing :s-smilie: people are weird.

I've just gone to the doctor before and asked for an increase and he's been completely fine with it. If you think it'll help then go for it. It's your body after all! The increased dose was the best thing I ever did.

And that is awful about your boyfriend! What a complete bastard! Sounds like you'll be better off without him.
Ok, will do. I have a low tolerance to alcohol anyway so I will make sure to take things really slow. I'll tell a few of my friends so they can be aware of it as well. Does it tend to make hangovers worse too? I was just browsing internet forums and saw some people say that about it too. -.-

Also, just as a general question, how long are people usually on anti-depressants for?

I've been on antidepressants since I was twelve and still haven't found one that works for me. But generally people are on them for a few years. Even if you start to feel better it's generally discouraged to just stop them all together because the depression may come back if not medicated. That said, some people don't need to be on them for long.
I've written another letter for my psych to read tomorrow. Does anybody mind reading it for me? It's quite personal.

Usually about 6 months after your depression goes away. Sometimes longer. Sometimes indefinitely. It's completely individual.

And yeah, the hangovers can definitely be quite rough. It's a good idea just to tell a few people if you're drinking on them so they can watch out for any odd behaviour. I become incredibly talkative with alcohol and lose my 'thought filter'. My girlfriend calls me Kreacher sometimes because I'll just sit around mumbling about the people around me :redface:

My DSA suppliers are trying to contact me for the training I should have had. I got my equipment around this time last year. Can they not take the hint and leave me alooooone?

I've never really had hangovers anyway, and citalopram doesn't seem to have changed that at all.

I assume it varies between anti-depressants, but I've been told I'll be on citalopram for 6 months after I'm 'back to my normal self'.

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I've just gone to the doctor before and asked for an increase and he's been completely fine with it. If you think it'll help then go for it. It's your body after all! The increased dose was the best thing I ever did.

And that is awful about your boyfriend! What a complete bastard! Sounds like you'll be better off without him.

That's reassuring :smile: I'm definitely going to ask about it the next time I go. I accidentally double-dosed yesterday (not really sure how, but something with my pill box went wrong) and had a very confusing, sleepy day resulting in a 5 hour nap, so I'm not looking forward to the potential side effects of upping the dosage, but hopefully they'll get better over time again.

I agree! It's just frustrating at the moment. I was shocked and upset when he split up with me (mainly because it was done via a very short phone call and was completely unexpected), but I felt alright about it because I'd been having doubts about the relationship anyway and thought I'd be better off by myself. He, however, seems to think this has devastated me, and when I've been trying to talk to him about it (he refuses to give any explanation) I get the impression he thinks I want to talk to him so I can beg him to take me back. I would've liked us to stay friends, but he's been so...weird about this, I can't be bothered with talking to him any more.
Original post by 35mm_
I've written another letter for my psych to read tomorrow. Does anybody mind reading it for me? It's quite personal.

I don't mind :smile:
I think the government want me to be fat. :holmes: I haven't worked out exactly why yet, but I suspect it's so my girlfriend breaks up with me and leaves me totally alone at their mercy. Everytime I try to go out for a run there's a man who stands on the corner across the road then follows me, as well as people in cars following me, totally freaking me out. I always turn round and come back now because I'm too scared of them. Can't go for a run = gonna get fat. Can't really eat less as I'm already eating like 1100kcals a day. Hmmm, this is most annoying.

Latest