The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

warp2125
Hey, yea I have had CBT... its hard work... you have to out in a real effort to get any results.... at first I didnt think much to it... seemed like a wste of time.... now sort of 6 months on Im starting to feel the positive effects.

Im stronger, more confident, calmer... and more focused... I guess it really depends on what you want to get out of it. Hope it works for you.:smile:

I'm glad it's starting to work for you :smile:
At least I know it's not going to be a quick fix I guess, but hopefully in combination with my meds I'll see improvements.
Reply 7981
Original post by dani_88
I'm glad it's starting to work for you :smile:
At least I know it's not going to be a quick fix I guess, but hopefully in combination with my meds I'll see improvements.

Yea np... I wasnt on any meds, lol.. yea I was hoping for the quick fix. hard lesson to learn was there are no quick fixes. There are some good books you can get about CBT.... I always found having one handy just gave me that little extra boost on days where I was feeling down.
i asked the home treatment team for letters to uni accommodation and my department... they draft the letters and give me them to read and sign a consent form... then i go and ask whether the letters are actually going to get SENT and they are like "you never told us you needed any letters! you signed a form ok but you can't just come NOW and ask us for LETTERS!"

GOD I HATE THIS DUDE SO MUCH. i get they're understaffed but just OH my GOD.
Original post by Sabertooth
Both of them messed up my sleep. I can't remember whether the effexor gave me too much or too little but the abilify gave me the worst insomnia ever. It's quite a stimulating antipsychotic which is good because it doesn't tend to make you put on weight although I struggled a lot with sleep on it. It didn't work for me either so that wasn't too good. Good luck with them :smile:

Yeh, I am quite interested to try the abilify because it is a third gen antipsychotic but it doesn't half cost a lot! Got it on private prescription initially.
Original post by littleshambles
i asked the home treatment team for letters to uni accommodation and my department... they draft the letters and give me them to read and sign a consent form... then i go and ask whether the letters are actually going to get SENT and they are like "you never told us you needed any letters! you signed a form ok but you can't just come NOW and ask us for LETTERS!"

GOD I HATE THIS DUDE SO MUCH. i get they're understaffed but just OH my GOD.

Which home treatment team are you with out of interest?
Original post by TimeToSayGoodbye
Yeh, I am quite interested to try the abilify because it is a third gen antipsychotic but it doesn't half cost a lot! Got it on private prescription initially.

Ouch! yeah it does cost a lot. I once got a printout of how much each drug costs for a year, I think it was a subtle hint "look how much you've cost us" :tongue: And yeah, they are ridiculously expensive.

Thankfully for me, one of the drugs I'm on is trifluoperazine so even when I have to pay myself (although insurance should cover it :crossedf: ) it's not going to be too bad as it's really old.

Have you tried any other antipsychotics? I've read a number of studies which refute the idea that the new ones are all that better, and the old ones are most definitely cheaper.
So, good news! :woo:

I have a "care-coordinator" to sort **** out for me, she's going to contact my uni and tell them I'm struggling which, when it comes to handing in my dissertation, could be very useful indeed. :dunce: It's like a dagger in my pride but I guess it's better than being failed for a late submission or something.

She's gonna see about increasing my meds, which is nice I might not have to wait 5 weeks whilst things gradually go downhill getting worse every day.

I'm going to a self-esteem workshop, because apparently I have low self-esteem (I maintain that I don't, I just see the reality. :colonhash:).

I'm going to a badminton group run by the local Mind charity, which I'm ****ting bricks about but could be quite good fun actually. I love badminton, I'm pretty good at it too so hopefully I can kick some ass. :cool:

All in all, pretty good. On the negative side I did a ****ty workout at the gym because I got so distracted and upset by the laughing so I'll have to have a very light lunch to make up for that. Still, annoying as ****. :sad:
IAPT are going to give me a phone call...on the 12th ****ing May...

what good to me is that? Is like a month away :frown:

why does it all take so long ffs?
So, good news! :woo:

I have a "care-coordinator" to sort **** out for me, she's going to contact my uni and tell them I'm struggling which, when it comes to handing in my dissertation, could be very useful indeed. :dunce: It's like a dagger in my pride but I guess it's better than being failed for a late submission or something.

She's gonna see about increasing my meds, which is nice I might not have to wait 5 weeks whilst things gradually go downhill getting worse every day.

I'm going to a self-esteem workshop, because apparently I have low self-esteem (I maintain that I don't, I just see the reality. :colonhash:).

I'm going to a badminton group run by the local Mind charity, which I'm ****ting bricks about but could be quite good fun actually. I love badminton, I'm pretty good at it too so hopefully I can kick some ass. :cool:

All in all, pretty good. On the negative side I did a ****ty workout at the gym because I got so distracted and upset by the laughing so I'll have to have a very light lunch to make up for that. Still, annoying as ****. :sad:

That's so friggin awesome! Finally some progress for you :smile:
I am relatively 'well' at the moment. But I do not know what is real and what isn't ie. what is a true memory and what is a component of psychosis. Like, the memories I have of going to parallel worlds are made of the same stuff as things I feel fairly sure have really happened. I am feeling very disoriented. I am also suffering a lot from derealisation at the moment - do other people have this? My memory and concentration are extremely poor. Even little things confuse me, like last night I went out with a few friends for a meal and when there was a block of cheese with 'cumberland sausage' written on it, I thought it was cumberland sausage and everyone laughed and I felt really confused. I also thought I had walked into someone's living room the other day and cried, it turned out it was an interior showroom in a shop.

Maybe this is because I've stopped taking my meds, but I don't think so. I need to try and cope without meds. I saw my CPN today and she said she can see gradually breaking down and that it is heartbreaking. I haven't slept for 48 hours now. I've taken to drinking copious amounts of wine in order to cope with my problems everyday. I have the house to myself this weekend and I'm quite scared of being on my own.

Blah. Sorry.
Original post by Noodlzzz
That's so friggin awesome! Finally some progress for you :smile:

Thank you. :hat2:

How're you getting on?
Original post by headunderwater
I am relatively 'well' at the moment. But I do not know what is real and what isn't ie. what is a true memory and what is a component of psychosis. Like, the memories I have of going to parallel worlds are made of the same stuff as things I feel fairly sure have really happened. I am feeling very disoriented. I am also suffering a lot from derealisation at the moment - do other people have this? My memory and concentration are extremely poor. Even little things confuse me, like last night I went out with a few friends for a meal and when there was a block of cheese with 'cumberland sausage' written on it, I thought it was cumberland sausage and everyone laughed and I felt really confused. I also thought I had walked into someone's living room the other day and cried, it turned out it was an interior showroom in a shop.

Maybe this is because I've stopped taking my meds, but I don't think so. I need to try and cope without meds. I saw my CPN today and she said she can see gradually breaking down and that it is heartbreaking. I haven't slept for 48 hours now. I've taken to drinking copious amounts of wine in order to cope with my problems everyday. I have the house to myself this weekend and I'm quite scared of being on my own.

Blah. Sorry.

Why have you stopped your meds?
Thank you. :hat2:

How're you getting on?

Been forced to interrupt my studies which is a bittersweet thing - no stress or pressure but first time I've ever 'failed' anything academically. Hmmm. But yeah not bad, kinda living on that line between just functional and sectionable.
Why have you stopped your meds?

I don't know. It's just the right thing to do.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Been forced to interrupt my studies which is a bittersweet thing - no stress or pressure but first time I've ever 'failed' anything academically. Hmmm. But yeah not bad, kinda living on that line between just functional and sectionable.

Hmm, I've done that before, I didn't see it as failing, you're just taking a break. That's not failing.

Have you got anything planned to fill your time?

I don't know. It's just the right thing to do.

I'm not sure it is the right thing to do. I mean if the meds were helping you, and now you're feeling ****, it does seem a bit like it could be caused by the lack of meds.
Another thing - I start my job on Monday and I'm getting super scared about it all. And then a week tomorrow I've got my nursing college interview. Feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment. I want to keep the job and I desperately want to get into college but I've got a very strong feeling that everything's going to go wrong.
Reply 7996
Had a great time at school :awesome:. But somehow not in a very good mood right now :sad:. The bad thoughts are returning again :sadnod:

I'm not sure it is the right thing to do. I mean if the meds were helping you, and now you're feeling ****, it does seem a bit like it could be caused by the lack of meds.

I was just getting super paranoid about doctors etc, but I've just taken them.
I was just getting super paranoid about doctors etc, but I've just taken them.

It's good you've taken them.

I know how scary it can be when you start having paranoid thoughts about doctors, but they're only trying to help you. Please keep taking the medication. You said in your other post about your new job and college course, you need to be stable to have the best possible chance at doing those things and I think if you keep taking your meds that's the best way to stay stable. :hugs:
Original post by Webberino
:console: Hope it goes alright. :hugs:

Thanks. Went to see nurture again but she was in a meeting. When I was looking for her this learning support lady knew my name :eek: Don't know how, she's only been in the room once when I spoke to nurture in about October.
Need to get ready for this college thing and ready to be intimidated by all other girls, fuuuuun. :laugh:
We did a Spanish reading paper about depression and suicide today, that was a joy.
Need to stop being sarcastic :tongue:

How are you? :smile:

Latest