The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VanessaXD
it hasn't =\
it is still in there

I'm sure in the new specificationv it said parent, child and peer relationship is no longer a requirement , which insinuated to me thatt the sections taken out. Just like how the second argument to parental investment theory was removed....you can rechech SPEC if you fwannt
Reply 381
Original post by Eternal*
Only 20? Y so little?

probably a few more, 6 for eating, 9 for sleep, 8 for gender x
Original post by y.yousef
I'm sure in the new specificationv it said parent, child and peer relationship is no longer a requirement , which insinuated to me thatt the sections taken out. Just like how the second argument to parental investment theory was removed....you can rechech SPEC if you fwannt

yep it changed it to the "The influence of culture on romantic relationships"

you still need to know it (:
Effects of early experience and culture on adult relationships:
The influence of childhood on adult relationships
The influence of culture on romantic relationships

Me too. I got a C in PSYA4 in Jan

Haha same . I got c for unit three after answering one and s half qustions :tongue:

Look at my response to vanessa about the childhood experiences . I'll be honest I'm cinfused so someone will have to check the culture oone for me. I'm cute tat has already came up :/

Exact wording on 2012 spec - Vanessa is correct
Yousef please check the spec for all your topics, we wouldnt want you losing out due to a misunderstanding

Oh rigght thatnks for the clarigication. Bbut I'm sure that has already came in 2011 correct me if I'm wrong :tongue:

Exact wording on 2012 spec - Vanessa is correct
Yousef please check the spec for all your topics, we wouldnt want you losing out due to a misunderstanding

Haha cheers.

I'm trying to cheat ma way. And now I hav to revise that part as well. Arr
Oh rigght thatnks for the clarigication. Bbut I'm sure that has already came in 2011 correct me if I'm wrong :tongue:

Jan - Describe and evaluate two or more theories of the formation of romantic relationships.
June - Discuss the influence of childhood and/or adolescent experiences on adult relationships

No culture!
I tend to misunderstand a lot of things since I attempt to self teach. And never ask my teacher for help cos in confident evrrytime she never knows the anseer
Haha cheers.

I'm trying to cheat ma way. And now I hav to revise that part as well. Arr

Learning Essays is not cheating!
guys just because it came up last june doesn't mean it can't come up again !!!!

They have started to split the questions so you need to watch out (:

It is unlikely the long questions from jan 2012 will come up though but yeah
guys just because it came up last june doesn't mean it can't come up again !!!!

They have started to split the questions so you need to watch out (:

It is unlikely the long questions from jan 2012 will come up though but yeah

AQA do this alot. They like to repeat questions randomly. So its possibly. No shortcuts
Reply 393
Original post by Mephestic
No dont really bother with outlining as it will waste your time and you dont have much in this exam. I finished with about 3 minutes to spare somehow and forgot to write tons; just concentrate on ao2 points.
For this you pretty much throw in research that supports it or goes against it and evaluate the research for its impact on the theory itself (the evolutionary theory in question) and outline any weaknesses in the theory.
This is where IDA's also come in;
Determinism, Reductionist, role of free-will and ability of conscience thought ignored, Post-hoc explanations (evolutionary theories explain behaviour after it has happened and cannot accurately predict future behaviour well generally; also evolutionary theories are difficult to falsify and prove or disprove for certain meaning they are unscientific.
Popper argued such theories remain speculative until proven so.

For example saying group displays of aggression is evolutionary is difficult to prove as it could equally be argued from both sides; e.g. group aggression could be said to be evolutionary by maintaining the dominant groups status and reproductive opportunities, resources etc (white people staying in power) - however from an evolutionary perspective greater variety in gene pools by working alongiside outsider groups results in healthier children through greater genetic diversity and resistance to illnesses through mixing.

So it can be argued both ways and difficult to prove for sure.

However having said all this; you wouldnt be asked to simply evaluated evolutionary explanations without having to outline it first. It may be split such as one question stating:
-Outline an evolutionary explanation of aggression
-Evaluate evolutionary explanations of aggression (or the one you have liste).

In which case you treat it as simply a 24 marker and split the outline for the first question and all the evaluation for the second.

-Meph

Just quoting this mainly for reference! :tongue: Your points sound very helpful, thank you! :smile:

Original post by hhh123
Do you guys reckon I could shorten the word "participants" to "p's" in this exam? Or because it is an A2 exam would they penalize me for my laziness/lack of appropriate spelling and grammar etc?

Sounds incredibly lazy of me but I seem to repeat this word over and over again and my arm just feels like it's going to drop off and it's not even the exam yet.

My teacher told us that if we write it out once and write the abbreviated term next to it then we can use the abbreviated through out the rest of the answer.

E.g.

The participants (pps) blah blah blah.
[second paragraph]Also the pps blah blah blah

i were thinking
evolutionary
and
dysphoria. <--split question...(12) mark.

For dysphoria, I don't seem to have much notes. We had to teach ourselves a topic and were taught 2 topics. (Although one of the teacher basically made us self-teach anyway but anyway) This was my self-taught topic, and the textbook had like half page of info on it :s-smilie: What could they ask just on dysphoria?

Original post by Bri8
hey guys if you change 'cultural bias' to 'ethnocentric' you can have GRENADES, which is a little easier to remember..

G- Gender bias
R- Reductionist
E- Ethnocentric
N- Nature/Nurture
A- Animal Use
D- Determinism
E- Ethics
S- Scientific

:biggrin:

This is for Ao2 marks, when criticising the studies, right? I feel like this is a very stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
AQA do this alot. They like to repeat questions randomly. So its possibly. No shortcuts

I knowwww can't wait to burn my psychology books after this exam. :angry:
Original post by Tpos

This is for Ao2 marks, when criticising the studies, right? I feel like this is a very stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway! :tongue:

Criticising studies and/or theories

I knowwww can't wait to burn my psychology books after this exam. :angry:

lets have a burning party!
Criticising studies and/or theories

lets have a burning party!

can't wait :biggrin:
can't wait :biggrin:

Lets practice

Spoiler

Original post by Tpos

For dysphoria, I don't seem to have much notes. We had to teach ourselves a topic and were taught 2 topics. (Although one of the teacher basically made us self-teach anyway but anyway) This was my self-taught topic, and the textbook had like half page of info on it :s-smilie: What could they ask just on dysphoria?
:tongue:

Just to outline what it basically is, gtive a study to support it, and give an evaluation..
Heres some notes....

EXPLANATION OF GENDER DYSPHORIA -(individuals experience of feeling uncomfortable with the gender assgined to them at birth, which may result in sex change or gender reassignment.)

-Psychological explanations
Gender dyphoria related to mental illness that came from a childhood trauma/maladaptive upbringing. Coates et al case history of a boy who developed GID, made him conclude that this is a defensive reaction to his mother's depression following an abortion. The trauma occurred when the boy was three, a time iin development when a child is particularly sensitive to gender issues. He suggests that the trauma may have led to a cross-gender fantasy as a means of resolving the ensuing anxiety.

Stoller (1975) proposed that GID results from distorted parental attitutes and, in clinical interveiws with individuals diagnosed with GID, observed that they displaye overly close mother-son relationship which would be likely to lead to a greater female identification and confused gender identity.

Commentary: cole et al studeies 435 individuals experiencing gender dysphoria, and reported that the range of psychiatric conditions displayed was no greater than found in a 'normal' population, which suggests that gender dysphoria is generally unrelated to trauma and patholigical families.

-Biological explanations

Insecticides DDT contain oestrogens which may mean that males are prenatally exposed to unduly high levels of these female hormones leading to a mismath between genetic sex and hormone influences.

Another may be that prenatal hormonse levels may be affected by genetic conditions and this may lead to a mismatch between hormonse and genetic sex. AIS (adrogen insensitivitty syndrom) and CAH (congenital adrenal hyperlasia) may result in intersex condition when external genetalia do not match genetic sex,and an individual may be assigned to the wrong sex at birth..

Commentary: hormonal abnormalities: research suggests that most intersexes are content with their sex of rearing. dessens et al studies 250 genetic females with CA?H who were raised as females and, depsite prenatal exposure to male hormones, 95% were content with their female gender role while 5% expeirenced serious gender dysphoria. among the 33 patients raised as mail, 12% experienced serious gender problems..

To conclude, gender dysphoria remians a mystery despite intensive research, and concludes that is it likely to be due to an interaction of psychological and biological factors..

how do you get the link like that in writing? :K:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending