The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misplacedshadow
Out of curiosity, do you learn names of any of the researchers in your essays? I used to learn every single one for AS but when I got to A2 I decided to not even try and didn't bother at all. I'm doing exactly the same the same for PSY3 (except for one or two main ones like Bandura, Buss, Kohlberg) but there's so much info I'm not overloading my brain with them.
Do you bother learning researchers names?

I'm trying to but I'm not stressing about it. I've seen a lot of people say you need to but both my teachers said you didn't have to, and I've had a skim through some examiners reports and nothing was mentioned about remembering names. Like you say I'm learning the big ones but "research has shown" will do for me!
Criticising a questionnaire study by talking about social desirability factors. Is that effecting reliability or validity?
Reply 1182
Original post by SashaLuLu
Yep, you would talk about the visual cliff study etcc and all the other studies relating to perceptual development. You would focus your essay on neonatal studies - there is a topic in that. With regards to cross cultural studies i think personally, that would only be relevant if you relate it to the question. You could probably use it in a debate - nature vs nurture. I think there is enough info present in development of perception to not need to go to the cross cultural stuff, but i suppose if you're struggling you could but just ensure it is related to the question. Some of the studies do show support for perceptual development

Ok well im looking at the AQA textbook and "Neonate studies" comes under the nature-nurture debate which we dont have to cover anymore, according to the spec. I just glanced back at the spec and it actually separates the two which i didnt realise before. It says: The development of perceptual abilities - depth/distance etc

Perceptual development - cross cultural/infant studies

So according to the spec i would use cross cultural and infant as that exam question includes "perceptual development" in it, just like the heading in the spec. Im so blind sometimes. Thanks though for your input. By the way if a question came up like "consider what research has shown about bla, bla"... and it's for 16 marks would that mean i would have to evaluate the research?
Original post by misslaura_bee
Can someone please explain to me what happens in the sleep stages? e.g. stage one = alpha waves disappear and are replaced by low voltage slow waves. Heart rate declines and muscles relax. I get so confused!!!

There are 5 stages during sleep. The first 4 stages are called NREM (non-eye rapid movement)sleep and the 5th is called REM sleep. These ultradian rhythms take about 90 minutes to complete, which follow a fixed sequence. Most people complete about 5 cycles per night.

Stage 1: This is characterised by a combination of beta waves and alpha waves. These waves become synchronised unlike wakefulness. This is a shallow stage of sleep, and body temperature and heart rate are dropping.

Stage 2: This is characterised by a greater amount of alpha waves and some theta waves. Body temperature and heart rate are dropping even more, and there are occasional sleep spindles.

Stage 3: This is made up of increased theta waves and up to 50% delta waves. These wave forms have a lower frequency and greater amplitude. This is a deeper stage of sleep.

Stage 4: This is characterised by over 50% delta waves and is important as growth hormones are released during this stage of sleep.

Stage 5: After a person has gone through stage 1-4, they begin to go into REM sleep. The waves become less syncronised and the beta waves resurface. This stage is called paradoxical sleep, as the brain and eyes are still active, but the body remains paralysed.

Hope this helps, got this stuck into my head yesterday lol :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mkigz77
Ok well im looking at the AQA textbook and "Neonate studies" comes under the nature-nurture debate which we dont have to cover anymore, according to the spec. I just glanced back at the spec and it actually separates the two which i didnt realise before. It says: The development of perceptual abilities - depth/distance etc

Perceptual development - cross cultural/infant studies

So according to the spec i would use cross cultural and infant as that exam question includes "perceptual development" in it, just like the heading in the spec. Im so blind sometimes. Thanks though for your input. By the way if a question came up like "consider what research has shown about bla, bla"... and it's for 16 marks would that mean i would have to evaluate the research?

ok, well i did this exam last year too. I wasn;t actually aware the specification removed the nature nurture debate - so thanks for pointing that out. I did the jan 2012 paper as a mock and was awarded 21/24. I didn't include any cross cultural research, which is may be why i lost out on 3 marks? I'm not sure...
Reply 1185
Original post by SashaLuLu
ok, well i did this exam last year too. I wasn;t actually aware the specification removed the nature nurture debate - so thanks for pointing that out. I did the jan 2012 paper as a mock and was awarded 21/24. I didn't include any cross cultural research, which is may be why i lost out on 3 marks? I'm not sure...

Yeah i dont think its because u didnt mention cross cultural, as 3 marks is far too small for such a big theory. You would have lost more if that was the case. So what did you talk about instead?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1186
Original post by blackstarz245
There are 5 stages during sleep. The first 4 stages are called NREM (non-eye rapid movement)sleep and the 5th is called REM sleep. These ultradian rhythms take about 90 minutes to complete, which follow a fixed sequence. Most people complete about 5 cycles per night.

Stage 1: This is characterised by a combination of beta waves and alpha waves. These waves become synchronised unlike wakefulness. This is a shallow stage of sleep, and body temperature and heart rate are dropping.

Stage 2: This is characterised by a greater amount of alpha waves and some theta waves. Body temperature and heart rate are dropping even more, and there are occasional sleep spindles.

Stage 3: This is made up of increased theta waves and up to 50% delta waves. These wave forms have a lower frequency and greater amplitude. This is a deeper stage of sleep.

Stage 4: This is characterised by over 50% delta waves and is important as growth hormones are released during this stage of sleep.

Stage 5: After a person has gone through stage 1-4, they begin to go into REM sleep. The waves become less syncronised and the beta waves resurface. This stage is called paradoxical sleep, as the brain and eyes are still active, but the body remains paralysed.

Hope this helps, got this stuck into my head yesterday lol :biggrin:

FAMMMMMMMMMM safe for this, man was getting bare gassed over this for time! JHEEZE

Which sixth form do you go to in North Weezy?

LOL

Obviously I don't talk like this in person but you get easily influenced by everyone around chattin bare breeze :P
Reply 1187
Does anyone please have an essay that they could send me on explanations of gender dysphoria? thats over 20/24 marks? would be soo grateful!!!
Reply 1188
Original post by bethq
Does anyone please have an essay that they could send me on explanations of gender dysphoria? thats over 20/24 marks? would be soo grateful!!!

it's very unlikely they'd do that!
Reply 1189
ive got essays that are around 20/24 on gender aggression + relationships to send it return!

just could do with good essays on explanations of gender dysphoria, evolutionary explanations of gender AND biological explanations for gender

i do have essays for them but its when i wasnt doing them timed and they are WAY too in detail and too long so i dont even know which bits are relevant and which to take out etc...

please please please! :smile:
Reply 1190
Original post by Bjcross
it's very unlikely they'd do that!

how come?
Reply 1191
I've just spent 1 hour procrastinating by reading examiner reports etc.

However I'd call this productive procrastination. I now know what annoys examiners! I'd recommend everyone to check them out on the AQA website :-)
Reply 1192
Original post by bethq
how come?

not enough material x
Original post by misplacedshadow
Actually, they can specifically ask you for a 24 marker on Ultradian Rhythms.
For that you'd want to include Stages of Sleep and Neurochemical Activity.

Are you sure? At least on my end I don't have nearly enough Ao2 points for Inftradian or Ultradian on there own...
Reply 1194
Original post by bethq
ive got essays that are around 20/24 on gender aggression + relationships to send it return!

just could do with good essays on explanations of gender dysphoria, evolutionary explanations of gender AND biological explanations for gender

i do have essays for them but its when i wasnt doing them timed and they are WAY too in detail and too long so i dont even know which bits are relevant and which to take out etc...

please please please! :smile:

I'll send you some on gender :smile: pm me your email or something x
Original post by bethq

Could I pester you for some Aggression essays? Sadly, I don't do gender so I cannot help you there. :frown:
Reply 1196
Original post by PieEatingHorses
Could I pester you for some Aggression essays? Sadly, I don't do gender so I cannot help you there. :frown:

yeah sure :smile: just pm me with your email and which ones you want + ill do my best!
Reply 1197
Hey does anybody know what i could say about Freud's theory when evaluating the functions of sleep?
Reply 1198
Original post by mkigz77
Hey does anybody know what i could say about Freud's theory when evaluating the functions of sleep?

I've never come across Freuds theory?!

I thought the functions of sleep were just restoration and evolutionary?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hey, has anyone got any essay predictions on Agression, Relationships or Eating behaviour?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending