The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SecretCircus
Neither have I :s-smilie:. Schizophrenia and anomalistic, how about you?

Sameee. I'm hoping it'll take less revision than psya3 :s-smilie:
Reply 1781
What has been predicted for gender and cognitive development?

i.hate.this.exam.so.much!!!!! everything is going in...but not staying there!
Original post by ellenmgh
After reading through the forum and looking up all the Q's I'm pretty sure that Biological Rhythms & Sleep is going to feature Restoration Theory (which has never come up) and/or Sleep Disorders - specifically Insomnia (that seems to be the general consensus on here anyway)

- Does anyone have any guesses as to how they'd word a 24marker for Insomnia though? Would appreciate suggestions!

p.s. If anyone's interested I'm doing Biorhythms/ Relationships and Aggression and these are the best predictions I can make;

Restoration Theory and or Insomnia/ Sleep Disorders

Maintenance/ Sexual Selection and Human Reproductive Behaviour

Sociol-Psychological and or Genetic Explanations of Agression

So reassuring that we have exactly the same predictions :smile: off to revise now

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Original post by eloc_ssej

:smile: In theory it should, purely because you can't really revise too much for the research methods section. Anomalistic seems like a big section though, and I hate the fact that it's split into little questions - means you have to know everything inside out because they could ask you on anything.
If anybodys interested ive got an essay on sexual selection its a bit long but its got everything in it :smile:
Reply 1785
How do I go about using the terms emic and etic in my answers?

Is this right?:
This is an etic concept as it is based on the importance of the individual in society. It is therefore difficult to generalise to collectivist countries such as Japan.

This was posted from The Student Roo
Reply 1786
Original post by hhh123
Yeah you could do, but I'd mainly focus on twin/adoption studies and MAOA other wise the examiner may think you're getting confused with neural mechanisms :P

Ohhh Happy Birthday! When was your birthday?!

Are you doing Core 4 too? It sucks doesn't it.

thankyou :biggrin: it was on tuesday! im doing core 3 and core 4, got psych unit 4 too, which iv done practically done no revision yet for! x
Reply 1787
Original post by eloc_ssej

i'm also doing schizophrenia and anomalistic! anomalistic is rubbish, but for schizophrenia, theres 5 essays really to learn! and i prefer anomalistic, because im guessing you dont need to learn big bulky essays, just a few explanations etc, research methods will be fine with the past papers x
Reply 1788
Original post by Bjcross
thankyou :biggrin: it was on tuesday! im doing core 3 and core 4, got psych unit 4 too, which iv done practically done no revision yet for! x

Aha my birthday was on Wednesday :P

And yes I am doing Core 3 and Core 4 too. Don't even get my started -.-
Original post by Bjcross

ah you're doing the exact same exams as me! which exam board you on for maths?
Original post by hhh123
The nature of sleep involves two main aspects: The different stages, and lifespan changes.

Firstly I would outline what sleep is (a different state of unconsciousness where responsiveness to the external cues are diminished).
Then go on to state how EEGs have enabled us to investigate the different stages. Then outline the stages.

Stage 1 - Light sleep where heart rate declines and muscles relax
Stage 2 - Sleep is deeper but sleeper is still easy to awake - Blood preasure and cardiac activity decrease.
Stage 3 - Deeper sleep where blood pressure and temperature decline.
Stage 4 - Metabolic rate is extremely low.

Dement and Kleitmans research is a good example of determining the difference between REM and NREM, so you could outline that to gain AO2 marks.

Life span changes are a crucial determinant in how much sleep we need.
Discuss how they can be influenced by external factors such as co sleepers and crying babies etc.
Then outline different characteristics of sleep for different ages.

EG:

Neonates spend about 16 hours asleep although this isn't necessary continuous as babies have shorter sleep cycles, and wake up to be fed as they have very small stomachs. Babies spend an increased time in REM as they're going through vital developmental changes in their brians, and thus need more time to renew brain changes.

Prepubscent spend about 10 hours in sleep. They spend a decreased time in REM and more time in NREM as they spend a lot of time doing exercise, and exploring. NREM restores bodily processes such as protein synthesis.

Adults spend very little time sleeping - busy doing other things etc. - working shifts. etc.

Older adults - monopause and andriopause makes them tired. - need to sleep more etc.

Obviously all of those points need elaborating..

AO2 is great for lifespan changes. You can talk about aspects such as laboratory research, very little research into middle ages participants, use of EEG's, reductionism, determinism.

Thank you, I can elaborate them, having the basics is great help
I found this. It's ok, has the basics. Might need to expand a lil more.

Lifespan changes essay plan
Reply 1792
Help please! When using research studies as A01, for this not to be counted as evaluation, what sort of language/words should you use? can you say 'for example' or this is 'demonstrated by' as when using it as A02 i would say 'supported by' and if you then methodologically evaluated this, would that turn the research into A02?

Thanks!!

:colone:
For evolutionary explanation of aggression, would it be ok to just talk about infidelity and jealousy or do I have to include murder as well?
Reply 1794
For evolutionary explanation of aggression, would it be ok to just talk about infidelity and jealousy or do I have to include murder as well?

i think infidelity and jealousy are fine as thats all ive been taught to do

Ah, I thought so :smile:. Doctor Faustus and The Crucible, yourself? Kind of hating AQA right now!

Omg me too! Could we possibly help each other as I'm kinda struggling with it :/
I found an essay plan for Nature of sleep aswell:

If you were to talk about murder, here's a quick little paragraph: 'Buss proposed the Homicide adapation theory as an evolutionary explanation for aggression. This states that humans murder in order to ensure that their genes are passed on, and their rivals are not. The best way to ensure this happens is by eliminating the competition. Support for this theory comes from that fact that murder is seen universally, suggesting it has evolved and plays an evolutionary role. Further support comes from that fact that most people who murder are men, and those men who are less-well resourced (e.g. unemployed etc) are more likely to kill as they realise they are not as likely to be chosen as a mate. To ensure gene survival, killing the more resourced opponent is preferrable. However, as with all evolutionary explanations, this is a post-hoc theory. This means it has already happened and therefore there is no way that the theory can be falsified. This decreases its reliability.'
Reply 1798
I've skimmed over it because it'd be really stupid if they did ask it again! I find that a nice section although it'd be very easy to go off topic and start doing a Kohlberg essay for AO2! So if it does come up, I hope it's a little question. I think evolutionary (simply because it hasn't come up at all yet) and/or biosocial will come up :frown:. You don't by any chance have any idea how to link gender dysphoria with the biosocial approach now that it's been moved there?

Nah I'm going to risk it and just not do it! :tongue: I live life on the edge you see :wink:
I don't think Kholberg will come up as it has already come up as a 24 marker, whereas gender schema theory has not; so my bets are on that!

Evolutionary has come up, it hasn't been named but one of the questions did allow you to include evolutionary explanations of gender.

I actually don't :/ I don't get how you can even link the biosocial approach and gender dysphoria together :s so yeah, if anyone can pitch in there that would be great :smile:
Reply 1799
Original post by Grace*
I will be SO annoyed if biological expl. for eating disorders comes up :frown:, seeing as eating disorders came up June 2010 for 24 marks and june 2011 for 5 marks
But i think it might...

Me too! :/ tbh I think it will be a big question on the success and failures of dieting. If biological explanations do come up, I highly doubt it will be a 24 marker - well at least I hope it isn't :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending