The Student Room Group

Chances for Cambridge MPhil Finance

Hello TSR,

as per post title: what are my chances for Cambridge MPhil Finance?
What about Oxford MFE, LSE MSc Finance?

-BSc "Economics and Management", Full Honors;
-GPA: 4.0/4.0;
-Internship at Corporate Banking division of major Financial Institution;

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by thexfactor656

You'll be offered a place at all of them. Guaranteed.

And this is the reason why:

best in my class of about 150
Reply 2
Well, it's kind of obvious you have an excellent chance. However, you still need to take the GMAT and, in my opinion, score 700+, preferably with Q49+. If you score something like 650 the admission team might decide that your undergraduate degree is not very hard.
Reply 3
Well you obviously stand a very good chance, presumably more so for the MPhil than for the MFE. Cambridge don't require you to take the GMAT, and frankly I wouldn't submit a score to them if I were you, unless you score more than 720/730. However, for Oxford and LSE the GMAT may well make a difference and Oxford also places more emphasis on non-academic achievements. Generally, the only thing that could hurt you is the curriculum of your course. Have you taken enough rigorous economic modules, a standard econometric module, stats...? Let us know whether or not they accept you, I've got a similar profile and will apply to aforementioned unis next year, so it's interesting for me how far you get :wink:
Reply 4
Thanks so much for your replies, guys!

Original post by Hank_Moody
Generally, the only thing that could hurt you is the curriculum of your course. Have you taken enough rigorous economic modules, a standard econometric module, stats...?

Hank_Moody:

As for my curriculum, yes, I believe my study track does include the fundamentals you are referring to. And, for what it's worth, I attended all courses in English.

Let us know whether or not they accept you, I've got a similar profile and will apply to aforementioned unis next year, so it's interesting for me how far you get :wink:

Of course, I will most definitely report back with the results of my application. Let's hope for the best! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Hello TSR,

-BSc "Economics and Management", Full Honors;
-GPA: 4.0/4.0;
-Internship at Corporate Banking division of major Financial Institution;

Thanks!

I got accepted to the programme several weeks ago... assuming you have strong reference letters, I would say that you have a good chance. When were you planning to apply?
Reply 6
That's good to hear, thanks.

I applied a couple of days ago. How long did you wait for a response? From what I've seen in this forum, processing time varies quite wildly.
Reply 7
That's good to hear, thanks.

I applied a couple of days ago. How long did you wait for a response? From what I've seen in this forum, processing time varies quite wildly.

I applied on October 15th, got a conditional offer on January 6th, and got accepted to Downing (first choice) on January 20th. Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 8
Hi everyone,

I just checked my account to find this:

"Status: The degree committee is satisfied with your application. However, your offer has not yet been approved."

Not quite sure what this means, but it seems like good news so far. Has anyone else had this status?

FYI: I applied early Nov.

Plus in the status box it says : 'waiting for decision by the board of graduate studies'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi tumult1,

This is excellent news, it is the last step before getting a conditional offer! :smile: I wish you the best and hope to see you there! Keep in touch, it would be nice to know someone when we start.

Original post by tumult1
Hi everyone,

"Status: The degree committee is satisfied with your application. However, your offer has not yet been approved."

Not quite sure what this means, but it seems like good news so far. Has anyone else had this status?

Plus in the status box it says : 'waiting for decision by the board of graduate studies'.
Do you think there any chances for an offer regardless off the quality of the application if you applied for the programm by the end of December?
Reply 11
Yes, of course

Original post by TheConvexity
Do you think there any chances for an offer regardless off the quality of the application if you applied for the programm by the end of December?
Reply 12
Original post by tumult1

Original post by finance
I got accepted to the programme several weeks ago...

Would you guys mind sharing your profile?
Reply 13
Would you guys mind sharing your profile?

Quadruple major, excellent GPA, from a middle-ranked University in the US.
Reply 14
Original post by finance
Quadruple major,

Wow! What are your four majors, if you do not mind me asking, and how long did it take you to complete them?
Reply 15
Original post by finance

Original post by finance
Hi tumult1,

This is excellent news, it is the last step before getting a conditional offer! :smile: I wish you the best and hope to see you there! Keep in touch, it would be nice to know someone when we start.

I got an email confirming my offer today :smile: although my self-service account doesn't show it yet. Yeh definitely keep in touch, pm me your email address (this is only my second post on tsr).
I also got an offer to the MPhil in Finance! Have you decided whether to go to Cambridge or anywhere else?
Reply 17
Original post by sarahboston
I also got an offer to the MPhil in Finance! Have you decided whether to go to Cambridge or anywhere else?

When did you apply?
Reply 18
Original post by tumult1
Hi everyone,

Original post by sarahboston

Hi, can I ask if they sent you an email asking for first semester exam results before giving out the offer?? As in exams since the completion of application, if any.

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Congratulations to all those that have an offer!

Could you all please let us know the date of your application, the date of when it changed from department to degree committee consideration and when you got your offer? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending