The Student Room Group

Financial support to internationals

Hello everyone,

I recently got an offer from Imperial College to study Physics (MSci). I was classified as 'overseas' despite the fact I have EU citizenship; I believe it might have happened because I will not have lived in the EU three years prior to the start of my course - only two years I will have completed - that is why I don't think it is worth trying to challenge their interpretation.

Anyway, I am now looking for financial support for internationals but it turns out to be much less than I expected. Does anyone know any possible source for financial aid?
Do you know if I am eligible for a student loan?

I have Brazilian and Portuguese citizenships if that matters.

btw, do you know when we are supposed to pay our tuition fees? Because it is quite a lot of money and my father wants to start preparing for it.

Thank you everyone!
Reply 1
Given you will have only been in the EU for 2 years prior to the start of your course then you will not be eligible for any financial support from SFE I'm afraid. You should look into any international bursaries your specific uni may have, but competition for any funding available (if there is any) will be fierce.

You would be best contacting the uni to find out exact payment dates but the usual is either the whole year's fees at the start of the first term, or some may allow you to pay half in September and half in January.
Reply 2
Original post by Shani
Given you will have only been in the EU for 2 years prior to the start of your course then you will not be eligible for any financial support from SFE I'm afraid. You should look into any international bursaries your specific uni may have, but competition for any funding available (if there is any) will be fierce.

You would be best contacting the uni to find out exact payment dates but the usual is either the whole year's fees at the start of the first term, or some may allow you to pay half in September and half in January.

Thank you very much!

Apparently my uni (Imperial College London) does not have any specific support to internationals. I sent them an e-mail about a week ago and they still haven't replied.

Do you know if it is possible for my status to change over the period of the course? Because from the second year onwards I will have lived for 3 years in the EU.

Thanks again!
Reply 3
Original post by guigao
Thank you very much!

Apparently my uni (Imperial College London) does not have any specific support to internationals. I sent them an e-mail about a week ago and they still haven't replied.

Do you know if it is possible for my status to change over the period of the course? Because from the second year onwards I will have lived for 3 years in the EU.

Thanks again!

no it isnt. you have to have been in the EU for 3 years from the start of the course
Reply 4
The above poster is correct. Your status will remain the same as it is at the start of your course, and cannot change part way through unless you can prove it was incorrect at the very start of your course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending