The Student Room Group

LSE MSc in Finance & Private Equity vs. MIT Master of Finance

Hi everyone,

I have a decision to make that is, for me, huge and extremely difficult -
I have offers from MIT for the Master of Finance and from LSE for the MSc in Finance and Private Equity

I have until Feb 15 to reply to the MIT offer.. Further, I have applied to the MSc in Financial Economics at Oxford, the MPhil in Finance at Cambridge and the MSc in Finance at the Stockholm School of Economics.

What are your thoughts on what I should do? I could accept MIT and go there; or turn it down and wait what I hear back from Oxford and Cambridge and then do either one of those in case I get in or LSE.

The most important factors for me are:
- program specifics: what electives does the program offer? Are the classes challenging? Is there substantial academic depth? Can I tailor the program to fit my personal areas of interest in finance?
- cost - is it worth it paying much more for MIT than for LSE? will it pay off for a career in Europe (intend on coming back)
- my future goals - I am not necessarily looking for a career in banking; have worked in VC/PE before and essentially can see myself either in a startup or in a VC fund, but plan on starting my career in Consulting maybe

I know this is a long an confusing post - I have been thinking about this for so long and still do not know what to do!

Any help, insight, advice is highly appreciated

Thanks so much!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is an opinion only, but my opinion is that in this field the MIT name trumps all the others. This would be more clear-cut if you were staying in the US though, and even having said the above, you're not going to go wrong with any of LSE, Oxford or Cambridge. They are all top names. I would be pretty sure the programs all have academic depth and challenging classes, so ultimately the choice is down to your personal interests and which course has the options that you think aligns best with what you wnat to do. (Not sure how much this helps...?!)
Reply 2
What GMAT score did you get? They are some crazy offers, I'd probably take MIT over LSE, MIT seems better than the others you applied to, oxford is solid though, Cambridge is definitely the weakest.
Reply 3
All great, I think we can all agree when I say that you aren't going to go far wrong with any of them. Really I think in this sort of situation it should come down to what you feel is best for you. My advice, as cliche as this sounds, flip a coin. It doesn't matter where it lands, but in the moment while that coin is in the air you'll know which outcome you are really hoping for.

Go with your gut is what I'm trying to say I suppose :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for your answers!

I think my guts will tell me to stay in Europe even though it hurts as hell turning the MIT opportunity down - but with planning on coming back I am just not sure whether the additional cost of at least 20,000 is worth it.. really reluctant to take such a huge loan..

Thanks for the hint about flipping coins - that is a great idea!

Anyone who would say go to LSE instead of MIT?? (considering the huge difference in tuition, the fact that I am planning on coming back to Europe, and one really stupid argument that MIT would start in July and I was planning on doing a trip through Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam and Cambodia that I would have to skip for MIT)

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 5
LSE is probably just as well know in business in the UK. I would even argue (perhaps controversially) that LSE would be more relevant to many European employers as they probably have more experience with their graduates. You aren't giving up your life going to LSE, I studied there briefly and it was fantastic. The facilities are mindblowing, it feels like you're part of something when you're there. You almost get the impression that one day you and your piers will go places, you're in a city that never sleeps, where you can walk down a street and not hear english spoken, a place where the world has come to do business and find work... best of all not only are you in the centre of that, but you're training to one day potentially run it :wink:

I know that's hideously subjective and loads of people will disagree, but seriously... LSE won't disappoint.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks!! That helped me feel comfortable in case I choose LSE :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by sarahboston
Thanks!! That helped me feel comfortable in case I choose LSE :smile:

Any of those choices would be great ones.

I just think... I mean, the MIT finance faculty has a Nobel prizewinner as well as the author of one of the best-known corporate finance textbooks on it. Don't know if either of them would be teaching the masters course?
Reply 8
Hi everyone,

I have a decision to make that is, for me, huge and extremely difficult -
I have offers from MIT for the Master of Finance and from LSE for the MSc in Finance and Private Equity

I have until Feb 15 to reply to the MIT offer.. Further, I have applied to the MSc in Financial Economics at Oxford, the MPhil in Finance at Cambridge and the MSc in Finance at the Stockholm School of Economics.

What are your thoughts on what I should do? I could accept MIT and go there; or turn it down and wait what I hear back from Oxford and Cambridge and then do either one of those in case I get in or LSE.

The most important factors for me are:
- program specifics: what electives does the program offer? Are the classes challenging? Is there substantial academic depth? Can I tailor the program to fit my personal areas of interest in finance?
- cost - is it worth it paying much more for MIT than for LSE? will it pay off for a career in Europe (intend on coming back)
- my future goals - I am not necessarily looking for a career in banking; have worked in VC/PE before and essentially can see myself either in a startup or in a VC fund, but plan on starting my career in Consulting maybe

I know this is a long an confusing post - I have been thinking about this for so long and still do not know what to do!

Any help, insight, advice is highly appreciated

Thanks so much!!

Congratz on the offers! I was wondering what GMAT score do you have?
Reply 9
study in europe if u wanna work in europe.

study in US if u wanna work in US.
Reply 10
Original post by LSEfreak
Congratz on the offers! I was wondering what GMAT score do you have?

Thanks,
my GMAT score is 730
Seriously, firm your MIT offer. Apart from the reasons already mentioned here, you will have a great network in the future, not to mention with those students @ Harvard, which is pretty close to MIT. Good luck with making your choice though! A splendid future awaits you :smile:
Reply 12
Thanks for the advice! But MIT is so much more expensive and I would have to take a huge loan to afford it...
Reply 13
MIT trumps all the others, certainly LSE.
LSE is known worldwide, same for all the others, including MIT. But if you want quality education then comparing LSE to MIT is like Volkswagen to BMW/Audi.

MIT's electives/overall program (in my opinion, but if you make your choice based on purely finance criteria then it's just a fact) is way better. The only downside is that your returning to Europa, however MIT is such a huge name that you practically can't go wrong.

Of course Oxford could be a better choice considering your future EU plans, but of all choices I certainly would not choose LSE if your accepted to any of the other mentioned programs.
Reply 14
Original post by Tcastle
is like Volkswagen to BMW/Audi.

VW and Audi are pretty much the same cars. Many of the components are actually used in models from both. As for BMW, they are significantly poorer build quality than VW. I get what you're trying to say, but VW make some seriously great cars. Not that I would own one, but I have owned cars made by the same manufacturing group. In fact, for a while I borrowed a Porsche Cayenne which is based heavily on a VW Touareg, I was quite impressed. Wow... this got off topic. So in conclusion, I swear by VW group, I mean they make Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Bentley and Skoda... what's not to love! :P
Reply 15

I am not necessarily looking for a career in banking; have worked in VC/PE before and essentially can see myself either in a startup or in a VC fund, but plan on starting my career in Consulting maybe

Ignoring all else and focusing on what you want to do after you graduate I'd say go to MIT. In my opinion getting into VC/PE would be much easier from MIT. On the other hand, consultancies would love your profile: girl+MIT+foreign experience = gold. LSE would have been a better choice if you were set on banking in London. Flying 10+ times Boston-London for interviews and ACs would be tiring and very expensive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Hanshen
VW and Audi are pretty much the same cars. Many of the components are actually used in models from both. As for BMW, they are significantly poorer build quality than VW. I get what you're trying to say, but VW make some seriously great cars. Not that I would own one, but I have owned cars made by the same manufacturing group. In fact, for a while I borrowed a Porsche Cayenne which is based heavily on a VW Touareg, I was quite impressed. Wow... this got off topic. So in conclusion, I swear by VW group, I mean they make Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Bentley and Skoda... what's not to love! :P

I'm sorry, and this is off topic, but there is a world of difference between a VW and Audi/BMW when you drive them. VW is a good car, but it is just not in the same league!

My 2cworth to OP is if you can get a loan to MIT, do it. Unlike a car of any marque, the M.I.T degree won't depreciate :wink: . Maybe look at it this way: figure out a realistic estimate of what you might be earning in say 5 years' time. Look at the fee differential, compare it to that, and consider if you will still think that the extra money was not worth it. What feels like a lot of money when you are a student, isn't always that way a few years down the line. All that said, they are all good unis and you won't really go wrong with any of them.
Reply 17
Original post by sj27
I'm sorry, and this is off topic, but there is a world of difference between a VW and Audi/BMW when you drive them. VW is a good car, but it is just not in the same league!

My 2cworth to OP is if you can get a loan to MIT, do it. Unlike a car of any marque, the M.I.T degree won't depreciate :wink: . Maybe look at it this way: figure out a realistic estimate of what you might be earning in say 5 years' time. Look at the fee differential, compare it to that, and consider if you will still think that the extra money was not worth it. What feels like a lot of money when you are a student, isn't always that way a few years down the line. All that said, they are all good unis and you won't really go wrong with any of them.

I drive porsches, but use to have a go in a friends Golf quite often, feels like driving a marshmellow, totally love them. I had an Audi A3 for about a week because I hated it so much. As for BMWs, the 3 series just never seemed to click with me. Then again, I always felt Mercedes were always shocking build quality for what you paid, so perhaps I'm just a horrible judge of car quality. That said, yeah I agree, Audi make some great cars, perhaps I just had a bad experience and am letting that tint my view. You're probably right.

Anyway, that was hideously off topic.

Onto more important matters, do you guys really feel that M.I.T. will offer so much more as to warrant substantial debt? I understand that it may help you get a job, but if you're going to try for a grad entry you'll be on the same starting salary nonetheless. Besides, in the current job market where experience counts for everything I'm not so sure that you can really put yourself down for not taking an MIT offer.

I totally agree that MIT is a superb course, superb institution and probably the best offer on that table, but the OP has mitigating circumstances which may prevent it from becoming a reality. I would just say that, don't beat yourself up about not taking MIT. Not only is university choice incredibly subjective and deeply personal, but none of those universities are ex-polytechnics let's just put it that way! Sloan is a great school, but LSE, Oxford and Cambridge can offer you something as well. Although, I would have to agree with the other guys in the thread that MIT is probably the better school.
Reply 18
Original post by Hanshen
do you guys really feel that M.I.T. will offer so much more as to warrant substantial debt?

In my opinion, it is worth it because the course at MIT is much more exclusive. At LSE there are MSc in Finance, Finance&PE, Finance&Economics, Accounting&Finance = 370 students. There is only one such course at MIT, the class size is not very big and there aren't that many Europeans in it. Each year there are probably more than 3000 LSE students applying for finance jobs in London. At the same time, I'd be surprised if more than 100 MIT students apply for London. Further, if you have an European passport, going from a top US university to Europe would be very easy, whereas the opposite - from a top European university to the US even if you have a US passport- is incredibly hard. Recruiting in the US is done on campus and networking is much more important so you have to be there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Thanks again to all for so many answers - I am still so unsure what to do, but am sure will figure it out somehow; and then again, I try not to put too much weight on it as it's both schools that I really like, programmes I am interested in and cities where I'd love to live for a while!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending