The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F322 Chains, Energy and Resources Wed 23 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Why are people struggling on the last question!? I found that one of the easier ones!! :O I found the enthalpy questions tricky. But I got an answer, just didn't know whether I got the positive or negative sign the right way around :frown:(
Reply 1581
I got 1-iodo-2methylpropane for B .. 2-mehtylpropanoic acid for D... and 2-methlypropanol for C :s
Original post by Namod
there was a very broad O-H peak due to carboxylic acid

I read on mark scheme based on a spectrum identical to that, that it didn't classify as a carboxylic acid because it wasn't curved enough, and the peak was due to C-H. Otherwise, I would've put carboxylic acid for sure! :tongue: Last time I listen to any of those mark schemes. :mad::mad:

Oh well, my reasoning from that was valid, so I shouldn't lose too many marks. >_<
Reply 1583
for the margarine question, there was a similar in jan 2011 7d, answers were react with hydrogen and use a nickel catalysts

so you had to say react unsat compounds in plant oils with hydrogne n use a nickel cataylsts
Reply 1584
Original post by Nick_
i put infrared spectrometry instead of infrared spectroscopy, damn

I put infrared radiation in a hurry.. can it get any worse :frown:
Original post by FailedMyExams
Can somebody talk me through the Percentage Yield question please?

I got 184 and knew that wasn't right so I flipped the equation and got 58.6 or something.

Annoys me because I used my intuition to predict that it wouldn't be the first answer, but if I left it as I did I probably would've got 2/3 marks instead of 1/3.

You calculated the moles of each one, bearing in mind the ratio. And sub over eachother, was like 90odd percent?
The last one the spectrum was of a c acid definitely and it was methyl propanoic acid, alcohol was methyl propan-1-ol and halogenolakane was 1-iodomethylpropane
Original post by FailedMyExams
Can somebody talk me through the Percentage Yield question please?

I got 184 and knew that wasn't right so I flipped the equation and got 58.6 or something.

Annoys me because I used my intuition to predict that it wouldn't be the first answer, but if I left it as I did I probably would've got 2/3 marks instead of 1/3.

You had 200x10^6g of methane. Find the moles of that.
You had 68.4x10^6 of 3H2, so divide 68.4tonnes by 3 then find the moles.
(Moles of methane/moles of hydrogen) x100
Original post by Dizzie31
Can someone also explain how you got the D to be butanoic acid?
i got methanoic and im baffled about that.

i gt methanoic acid too
Reply 1589
ddid anyone get +82 kjmol-1 for the delta H reaction thing ??
Original post by aallaa
what people got for %yield? and cracking question. Margarine was easy nickel catalyst 150 C and hydrogen from unsaturated making saturated margerine

i drew out the equation lool...
i coouldnt explain it in worlds...thankgoodness its chemistry and you can do equations
Original post by IAmMclovin
It was 1-iodomethylpropane, and methylpropan-1-ol, how else could methylpropene have been formed by the dehydration reaction?

I wrote , iodomethylpropane and methylpropanol is that the same molecule or will I not get the marks?
Original post by anuradha_d
THATS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT! thats my answer... but there was no sensible structure for it, because C was methylpentanol...
I just didnt draw a diagram for it :/

Oh good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who did it :P

On all the google images of carboxylic acid IR spectra, there is a slight smooth curve to them, there wasn't one in this though. :s-smilie:

Had major issues about converting C to methylpentene because of that. Not clear either way!
Reply 1593
i got 237% or something for percentage yield :'(
Work out moles for reactant, multiply by 3 (1:3 ratio)
Work out moles of H2,

H2 moles / Reactant moles x 100
92.1% or something

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1595
i thought i did good but now i feel like i made way too many silly mistakes to get an A :frown:
How do you all think the grade boundaries will be? i think they'll be low or normal depending on how many people found it difficult! I don't think they'll be high though and definitely not higher than Jan 2012!
Original post by godknows
i got 237% or something for percentage yield :'(

Had to divide by 3, you missed out the ratios..

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1598
Original post by med123
for the margarine question, there was a similar in jan 2011 7d, answers were react with hydrogen and use a nickel catalysts

so you had to say react unsat compounds in plant oils with hydrogne n use a nickel cataylsts

I just put the equation and the catalyst used
Reply 1599
Original post by YB101
I could have SWORN the question said that the product was split into 2 portions, one reacting with something (i can't remember) to form methylpropane and the other reacting with the [O] therefore wouldn't that HAVE to make Butanoic acid seeing as C was CH3CH2CH2OH?

i think that is where the problem lies. The paper did say it was split into two and each portion reacted with different things

i put butane instead of propane -o-
will they give no marks-o-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending