The Student Room Group

What subject to drop at A2?

Hi guys :smile:

I'm half way through AS year, currently studying Medieval History (Edxecel), Combined English (AQA Spec B), Biology (OCR) and Media Studies (WJEC). At the moment, I'm being targetted to achieve at the very minimum AABB in the summer (A's in English and History), and I'm planning on studying Ancient History at university.

I'm having real problems working out what I should drop for A2. I love Biology, but it's the subject that I'm struggling with the most at the moment, and after looking through the A2 syllabus, I'm worried that I might struggle even worse. I hate Media, but it's a subject I can do, and I know I'd end up with a half decent grade in at the end of the day.

I know Media is seen as a "soft" subject, but it has more relevance to an Ancient History degree than Biology does. However, Biology would open up more options for me, as well as being much more traditional. I'm toying with the idea of taking up an extra AS next year alongside my 3 A2's, but it would entirely depend on what I dropped.

Which of these options do you think would be better?

A) History, English, Media and an AS in Classical Civilisations
B) History, English, Media and an AS in Philosophy
C) History, English, Biology and an AS in Classical Civilisations
D) History, English, Biology and as AS in Philosophy
E) History, English, Biology on their own

I am a total loss as to what to do. Is it better to get a high grade in Media alongside History and English, or a lower grade in Biology that would allow me to apply to more places?

Thanks for any help guys! :smile:
Reply 1
I think if you are struggling with biology at AS, then taking it to A2 could cause more stress and you would have to be willing to put in extra effort to achieve, also if you did decide to continue with bio then I wouldn't advise taking up another AS level as this would be added work. :/

But really, biology is unlikely to open up many more doors simply because you are not taking any other science based a-levels and any university degrees in the science domain usually ask for more than one science based a-level.

As for Media being seen as a 'soft subject', that is just misconception as Universities understand that all a-levels require a high standard of work and accept it just the same as any other a-level course.

Really it depends on whether your love of biology would enable you to put in the extra effort and do well. If you really wanted to take up another AS level during A2s then I would drop Biology, but thats just me.
If you're struggling with Biology then I suggest you drop it, trust me it gets a lot harder. Also even though you're enjoying it, it doesn't seem as though it will be of use in your further plans as you want to study Ancient History.
Drop the subject you enjoy the least.

Quick Reply

Latest