The Student Room Group

Bod Mod Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hey, my friend was telling me that there is an age limit on a neck tattoo because it's so close to your spinal cord and can leave you paralysed.. does anyone know anything about this?

I'm thinking of waiting till my hair gets a little longer so it's easier to hide...
Quita
Hey, my friend was telling me that there is an age limit on a neck tattoo because it's so close to your spinal cord and can leave you paralysed.. does anyone know anything about this?

I'm thinking of waiting till my hair gets a little longer so it's easier to hide...

Erm, the age limit to get a tattoo on you neck is the same as it is to get one done on any other part of you. Some tattooists might suggest a different location for someone's first tattoo, just to be less visible, but that's about it.
The needles in a tattoo machine shouldn't be going anywhere near deep enough to pose that sort of risk anyway, only a particularly hamfisted scratcher would be pressing anything like that hard.
Reply 182
Thank God for that... Coz now i've thought about it i really want it done!!

It's not my first tattoo.. it'll be my second, i hope depending on whether i get my lower back done first or not...
yeyness (lol). so glad i found this soc :p: i've always appreciated self expression in the form of body mods but only recently started to get into it more. i'm a member of BME too. i only have my lobes and a left labret with a ring at the moment. i'm getting my first tattoo on thursday morning! i've had this particular design in mind for about 6 or 8 months...my mum said she will disown me, hmmm. i'm excited though. i have more planned but i couldn't do *flash*. i can see why people do suspension but i don't think it's for me. oo and i just found out we now have a scarification artist locally! which is cool, but i'm not ready for that! i can appreciate it, but i'm not planning scarification right now! oo i'm gunna request to join-cool soc.

peace x
I'm thinking of getting a scaffold/Industrial piercing maybe :smile: Wondering if anyones had one done?
Reply 185
Monkey_Maiden
I'm thinking of getting a scaffold/Industrial piercing maybe :smile: Wondering if anyones had one done?

I had one from September till January/February.
Long story short:
Slept on it too soon, got knocked around too much, hypertrophic scarring developed on the bottom hole and caused the bottom hole to migrate a bit, putting a loooad of pressure on it, and I had to retire it.
Haha.
Even with all that, it's my favourite piercing and I'm getting it redone - in the other ear though.
It might be better to get it pierced with 2 shorter barbells originally (not CBRs, they suck) instead of the long one because it does get knocked around a lot and the long barbell can put some extra pressure on it. Although saying that, I'll probably get a long barbell next time I get it done anyway and just look after it a lot better.

It's quite painful but not too bad. Can take up to a year to heal though, but that's the same for most cartilage piercings really.
Kate.
I had one from September till January/February.
Long story short:
Slept on it too soon, got knocked around too much, hypertrophic scarring developed on the bottom hole and caused the bottom hole to migrate a bit, putting a loooad of pressure on it, and I had to retire it.
Haha.
Even with all that, it's my favourite piercing and I'm getting it redone - in the other ear though.
It might be better to get it pierced with 2 shorter barbells originally (not CBRs, they suck) instead of the long one because it does get knocked around a lot and the long barbell can put some extra pressure on it. Although saying that, I'll probably get a long barbell next time I get it done anyway and just look after it a lot better.

It's quite painful but not too bad. Can take up to a year to heal though, but that's the same for most cartilage piercings really.

Yeah I have been told to get it pierced without the bar to start off with, less pressure.
I think its groovy but everyone I know thinks its horrible, kinda worried but oh well
Reply 187
Monkey_Maiden
Yeah I have been told to get it pierced without the bar to start off with, less pressure.
I think its groovy but everyone I know thinks its horrible, kinda worried but oh well

Haha, same. My parents think it's weird. Although right now they're finding my stretched lobes a lot weirder - though they're only at 6g right now (4mm) :P
Kate.
Haha, same. My parents think it's weird. Although right now they're finding my stretched lobes a lot weirder - though they're only at 6g right now (4mm) :P

Yeah I thought stretched lobes did look odd to start off with but they are pretty funky :smile:
Havn'tread through this thread really, so how many piercings do you have?
Reply 189
Hey everyone...

<3 body piercing although I'm not so hot on tattoos. I can admire them, I just don't think they're for me!

Currently have 10 piercings - 3 in each lobe, a left rook, a right tragus, navel and tongue web. Oh and the bottom hole in my right lobe is stretched to 6.5mm (even though I always insisted I hated stretching!).

I'm itching with the piercing bug again at the moment... thinking about a right side labret. Although maybe a little further down that 'conventional' so it doesn't harm my instrument playing (clarinet/flute/sax/blah)... I so BADLY want my tongue done but that really would wreck everything!

But yes... right side, with a bar. I like the spirals where it has a spike on one end and curls round your lip, like a navel spiral. But that'd mean it'd have to be further up... hmm...

Anyone have much experience with instruments and lip piercings?

<3 piercings!
hey, has anyone gotten tattoos and clashed with their parents? my mum's trying to guilt me out of having mine done! even though i'm 19 and paying for it, hmmm
The mom hassling over tattoos never stops. I'm 21 and my mom still argues with me every time I mention the t word!

I'm currently planning my next piercing..it's going to be a triangle. I don't know anyone else who has one so that's pretty cool. My VCH will have a buddy. I'm also going in tomorrow to have a consultation for my latest tattoo. Interesting symbol from a Luis Royo piece of artwork..I adore his stuff!
Reply 192
Pink_Chick
yeyness (lol). so glad i found this soc :p: i've always appreciated self expression in the form of body mods but only recently started to get into it more. i'm a member of BME too. i only have my lobes and a left labret with a ring at the moment. i'm getting my first tattoo on thursday morning! i've had this particular design in mind for about 6 or 8 months...my mum said she will disown me, hmmm. i'm excited though. i have more planned but i couldn't do *flash*. i can see why people do suspension but i don't think it's for me. oo and i just found out we now have a scarification artist locally! which is cool, but i'm not ready for that! i can appreciate it, but i'm not planning scarification right now! oo i'm gunna request to join-cool soc.

peace x

glad your glad you found the soc (does that even make sense?) When I was younger I wasn't too hot on bod mods but as I got older I found it was the perfect way to express my feelings about stuff... hence my love of tattoos (although I don't want to be covered!) Good luck with your first tattooo... I was advised on my first one to take some lollipops or a can of coke or sumthing just to keep your blood sugar levels up! But you probably no that already!!! As for your mum disowning you my mum freaks any time I say I want a new tattoo... I've got two designed at the moment and keep saying I want them done.. but going to wait till I'm off college or get a day off work.
Reply 193
Monkey_Maiden
Yeah I thought stretched lobes did look odd to start off with but they are pretty funky :smile:
Havn'tread through this thread really, so how many piercings do you have?

I have 14 - 9 lobe piercings (2 stretched), tragus, rook, helix (well, the top hole from my retired industrial), navel & inverse navel.

emzilee - Jealous of your tongue web. Argh I want one so badly. I don't know if I'd actually be able to get one though - I have a little web, haha.
Pink_Chick
hey, has anyone gotten tattoos and clashed with their parents? my mum's trying to guilt me out of having mine done! even though i'm 19 and paying for it, hmmm

The opposite in fact, after I got my tattoo my mum wanted to get one!
Pink_Chick

Mine were fine with the first 4, but apparently the next one tips the scale into "too much". Ah well, I'm getting them for me, not for them.
Reply 196
Monkey_Maiden

i had one.
i got it about three years ago.
i loved that peircing but had to take it out about a month ago cos of work :frown: :mad:
when i got it done i got both holes peirced and got the bar put in straight away tho ive heard from other people that get it done that at first they get two seperate small bars put in they when it healed the peircer but their bar in :confused:
i dunno i guess there are different ways of getting it done but yeah i never had any problems with it to be honest and it also didnt take that long to heal too.
tho one thing that was abit annoying was after id got it done when it was healing puss or whatever it is you get that comes out when you get peircings would always somehow end up all over the bar in the middle when youd think that it just be around the ball bit since thats the bit closest to the hole.
hmm i dunno how it go there. i just had to make sure i cleaned it everyday with savon antiseptic spray
Sheen
i had one.
i got it about three years ago.
i loved that peircing but had to take it out about a month ago cos of work :frown: :mad:
when i got it done i got both holes peirced and got the bar put in straight away tho ive heard from other people that get it done that at first they get two seperate small bars put in they when it healed the peircer but their bar in :confused:
i dunno i guess there are different ways of getting it done but yeah i never had any problems with it to be honest and it also didnt take that long to heal too.
tho one thing that was abit annoying was after id got it done when it was healing puss or whatever it is you get that comes out when you get peircings would always somehow end up all over the bar in the middle when youd think that it just be around the ball bit since thats the bit closest to the hole.
hmm i dunno how it go there. i just had to make sure i cleaned it everyday with savon antiseptic spray

Thanks loads :smile:
Yeah that does sound bit odd:p:
Reply 198
Kate.
emzilee - Jealous of your tongue web. Argh I want one so badly. I don't know if I'd actually be able to get one though - I have a little web, haha.

Awh, I'm sure it'll go in! I went and got my done at a place in Sunderland but my mouth's so small *ahem* he could get the ball on the bar because he couldn't get his hands in my mouth! So I went home and it healed over...

That was a Friday, following Monday I went out, bought a bar (little eyebrow bar), sterilised a needle, got some ice and some latex gloves and off I went. Heard a little pop as it went through. I drooled everywhere and had a hell of a time getting the ball on!

Its been happily there for 2 years now... and the parents still don't know! :biggrin:
I have my tongue web done, and have had it for over a year :smile: Doesn't hurt one bit, you just drool EVERYWHERE. Tis great, I have a small ring with a turquoise gem in it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest