The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 ~ 21 May 2012 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

I was wondering where Effkay had been, but it turns out he's been banned :frown: (If you were in the biol1 thread you would probably remember him, if not ignore this :laugh:)
Original post by Mocking_bird
I was wondering where Effkay had been, but it turns out he's been banned :frown: (If you were in the biol1 thread you would probably remember him, if not ignore this :laugh:)

I realised this a few days ago. It piqued my curiosity for a moment as I wondered what he had done to earn a ban.
Original post by Tullia
I realised this a few days ago. It piqued my curiosity for a moment as I wondered what he had done to earn a ban.

His feistyness probably got the better of him :tongue:

Ooo, whilst you're here Tullia, do you by any chance have any good diagrams for the condensation reaction of beta glucose? I'm getting ever so confused with it and none of the diagrams ive seen have helped :frown:
And so the BIOL2 begins >:biggrin:

mock tomorrow o.0
So what does everyone think the raw mark will be for 140 UMS? I got entered for Unit 1 in Jan when I didn't want to because I hadn't got used to the exam technique... 76/100 -.- 4 points off an A goddamn it!

Obviously we don't know the ISA boundaries until results day and they seem to go up every year so I think I'm going to drop down on that too, so to be sure that I definitely get an A overall, I'm aiming for around 125 -134 in this unit... stupid ISAs.

What raw mark do you think that would be around? I'm quite pleased that it's generally easier to get a higher grade in unit 2 than unit 1, same with chemistry, I thought you'd still have to get pretty high so I was desperately trying to get like 80/85 on past papers, but apparently not :colone:
Reply 385
Original post by NatashaxMay
So what does everyone think the raw mark will be for 140 UMS? I got entered for Unit 1 in Jan when I didn't want to because I hadn't got used to the exam technique... 76/100 -.- 4 points off an A goddamn it!

Obviously we don't know the ISA boundaries until results day and they seem to go up every year so I think I'm going to drop down on that too, so to be sure that I definitely get an A overall, I'm aiming for around 125 -134 in this unit... stupid ISAs.

What raw mark do you think that would be around? I'm quite pleased that it's generally easier to get a higher grade in unit 2 than unit 1, same with chemistry, I thought you'd still have to get pretty high so I was desperately trying to get like 80/85 on past papers, but apparently not :colone:

For full UMS it is usually very low, actually! A couple of papers we have done you've only needed 72/85 marks to get 140UMS.

Yeah don't worry about it, I'm in the same position re. ISAs. I do OK in exams then the UMS for the ISAs are awful! lol, but it'll be ok! I'd say for around that UMS, aim for high 60s/85. Misworded - aim for full marks but it'd be around high 60s I'd guess. Go for it!
Original post by extons
For full UMS it is usually very low, actually! A couple of papers we have done you've only needed 72/85 marks to get 140UMS.

Yeah don't worry about it, I'm in the same position re. ISAs. I do OK in exams then the UMS for the ISAs are awful! lol, but it'll be ok! I'd say for around that UMS, aim for high 60s/85. Misworded - aim for full marks but it'd be around high 60s I'd guess. Go for it!

A paper I just did, think it was jan 11, it was something like 64 for full ums! :eek: so low!
Original post by Mocking_bird
A paper I just did, think it was jan 11, it was something like 64 for full ums! :eek: so low!

Upon hearing this, my expression is not far from this: :u:
Reply 388
I got 74 (B) UMS marks in Unit 1, and have achieved 95% in my ISA coursework. Anyone far cleverer than me care to help me out with regards to what UMS/Raw mark I need for an A overall in this exam?

Would be much, much appreciated!!!!
Original post by Meme4
I got 74 (B) UMS marks in Unit 1, and have achieved 95% in my ISA coursework. Anyone far cleverer than me care to help me out with regards to what UMS/Raw mark I need for an A overall in this exam?

Would be much, much appreciated!!!!

Disclaimer: I'm not answering because I'm arrogant and noticed they asked for someone far cleverer than themselves to answer.

I'll take 95% on the ISA to be 47 marks. Based on the June 2011 grade boundaries, this would have gotten you 60 UMS.

74 + 60 = 134 UMS

You need 240 UMS for an overall A grade, and so you would require 106 UMS in BIOL2 to achieve an overall A grade.

Sticking with June 2011 data, this would have been 59/85.

Edit: I replied with data for Chemistry thinking this was the Chemistry thread, and then had to edit it to show Biology.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi guys.

So over the past 2 weeks or so, I've compiled a list of mark schemes for many of those 6 marker questions at the end, and many commonly-asked questions. I saw one online for Unit 1 which helped A LOT with questions, especially for me since I tend to ramble a lot but there wasn't one for Unit 2, so I decided to make one.

As the syllabus is huge, it doesn't cover everything (for example, there aren't too many answers relating to mitosis aren't there, because a lot of the questions are AO2-based with diagrams/tables, so it'd be a tad hard to put mark schemes for that - but just make sure you know the steps and understand how it works, and then you'll be fine). But there definitely is a lot of stuff in there. Not everything is compiled in categories though (i.e you may find there'll be a mark scheme on oxygen affinity, then the next one will be something completely different, and a few mark schemes later it's back to oxygen affinity), so apologies for that.

Obviously, I suggest you revise the syllabus first so you actually understand the course. Compared to your books/notes, the mark schemes won't be of much use in AO2 questions.

For those who download it, I hope you find it useful :-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
Hi guys.

So over the past 2 weeks or so, I've compiled a list of mark schemes for many of those 6 marker questions at the end, and many commonly-asked questions. I saw one online for Unit 1 which helped A LOT with questions, especially for me since I tend to ramble a lot but there wasn't one for Unit 2, so I decided to make one.

As the syllabus is huge, it doesn't cover everything (for example, there aren't too many answers relating to mitosis aren't there, because a lot of the questions are AO2-based with diagrams/tables, so it'd be a tad hard to put mark schemes for that - but just make sure you know the steps and understand how it works, and then you'll be fine). But there definitely is a lot of stuff in there. Not everything is compiled in categories though (i.e you may find there'll be a mark scheme on oxygen affinity, then the next one will be something completely different, and a few mark schemes later it's back to oxygen affinity), so apologies for that.

Obviously, I suggest you revise the syllabus first so you actually understand the course. Compared to your books/notes, the mark schemes won't be of much use in AO2 questions.

+ Rep, this will be very helpful thankyou :smile:
Also, officially finished the spec today :eek:
The exam is crawling closer and closer!

Quick question though, does anybody have a good diagram of the condensation reaction of beta glucose? Showing like, where the H2O comes from and stuff? I just cant seem to get my head around it!
Mocking_bird
Quick question though, does anybody have a good diagram of the condensation reaction of beta glucose? Showing like, where the H2O comes from and stuff? I just cant seem to get my head around it!

I wasn't ignoring your last request. I think I may have a helpful diagram somewhere in my notes, but they're not actually all that well organised at the moment and so I'll have to rummage for it for you later on.

I'll check for you, but just in case I don't have one, couldn't you go and see your teacher and get them to mock up a diagram that you understand which you can then use as reference when revising?
Reply 394
Hi guys.

Wow these notes are amazing. Thanks :smile:
Reply 395
Hi guys, just wondering on the topic of oxygen dissociation/the bohr effect, do we have to know all the different equations? like:

Carbonic anhydrase: CO2 + H2O <-> H2CO3 <-> H+ +HC O3-
and: Hb08+ H+ <-> HH b + 4O2

just wondering, this is in the collins student support materials by aqa.
Has it come up in the past before/likely to come up?
Or is the furthest i'll have to go is just explaining the bohr effect without the equations?
Thanks
Reply 396
Not sure if this is BIO1 or BIO2 :tongue: So I thought I would post it here. It's an osmosis based question.

-How does salt increase blood pressure?

-What does 'no net movement' actually mean?
Original post by sach21sk
Hi guys, just wondering on the topic of oxygen dissociation/the bohr effect, do we have to know all the different equations? like:

Carbonic anhydrase: CO2 + H2O <-> H2CO3 <-> H+ +HC O3-
and: Hb08+ H+ <-> HH b + 4O2

just wondering, this is in the collins student support materials by aqa.
Has it come up in the past before/likely to come up?
Or is the furthest i'll have to go is just explaining the bohr effect without the equations?
Thanks

You don't require to know either of those as neither is in the specification.
Reply 398
Hi guys.

Also thanks for this! I was about to do something very similar :tongue: I see some familiar mark scheme answers:wink: but you're right it's all about exam technique and saying what they want you to say!!
Reply 399
Original post by Tullia
Disclaimer: I'm not answering because I'm arrogant and noticed they asked for someone far cleverer than themselves to answer.

I'll take 95% on the ISA to be 47 marks. Based on the June 2011 grade boundaries, this would have gotten you 60 UMS.

74 + 60 = 134 UMS

You need 240 UMS for an overall A grade, and so you would require 106 UMS in BIOL2 to achieve an overall A grade.

Sticking with June 2011 data, this would have been 59/85.

Edit: I replied with data for Chemistry thinking this was the Chemistry thread, and then had to edit it to show Biology.

Thanks a lot for the help, may I ask how to managed to work it out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending