The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 ~ 21 May 2012 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by britash
Has anyone got any basic notes/mark scheme answers on 'how antibiotics work' and 'antibiotic resistance'?
Text book notes are confusing me, and my notes talk about 'transcription and translation' =/

Antibiotics basically:

- prevent the formation of bacterial cell walls
- some bind to bacterial ribosomes which inhibit protein synthesis.
- some disrupt DNA synthesis during DNA replication.
- some disrupt cell membranes.

All you need to know for antibiotic resitance:
A mutation is present for antibitotic resistance.
This produces an allele for antibiotic resistance.
Non resistant bacteria die.
Bacteria containing resistant bacteria survive and reproduce.
This process is called vertical gene transmission.
This increases the frequency of alleles for bacteria to be passed on to future generations.
Original post by britash
x

Antibiotic resistance
- Mutation for the resistance allele
- Antibiotics kill bacteria which are not resistant, resistant bacteria survives, reproduces, without competition passes allele onto next generation/offspring via horizontal gene transmission (conjugation, plasmid is transferred through pilus, is replicated - through different species) or vertical (down the same species, asexual reproduction so the plasmid replicated - passed onto daughter cells)
- Over time the frequency of the allele for resistance is increased.
Not sure if stupid idea or not but... would anyone find it useful to do like a group skype call so we can do the Q&A outloud? (obviously still use this thread too for those who arent able to use skype) :smile:
Original post by Mocking_bird
Not sure if stupid idea or not but... would anyone find it useful to do like a group skype call so we can do the Q&A outloud? (obviously still use this thread too for those who arent able to use skype) :smile:

Don't have a mic =/
What about scriblink ? An online white board where you can draw/type stuff with other users.. etc

whats your skype
Original post by EffKayy
Don't have a mic =/
What about scriblink ? An online white board where you can draw/type stuff with other users.. etc

Awh :frown:

& Thats just the same as doing it on here really:tongue:
do we have to know the pressure changes that occur in the mouth of fish that lead to water flow over the gills, and the various structures that play a role in the process?
Reply 1187
I'm struggling to understand something...
How is glycogen more compact than starch if it has 1,6 glycosidic bonds which are alot more frequent than the 1,6 bonds in amylopectin. Surely it should be less compact?
Awh :frown:

& Thats just the same as doing it on here really:tongue:

But its more fun and interactive! hahaahhhhhhhhhh i want to do itttt :'(
Reply 1189
Original post by AtomicMan
do we have to know the pressure changes that occur in the mouth of fish that lead to water flow over the gills, and the various structures that play a role in the process?

NO! Don't do this, my teacher taught us this but its not in the spec its because he hasn't done new power points from old spec.

Also the antibiotic resistance thing, we only need to know the effect of osmotic lysis on weakened cell walls (cross linkages inhibited from forming in growing bacteria, weakened cell wall lower wp in bacteria water moves in by osmosis, no resistance to expansion and can't withstand pressure ——> lysis/bursts). Does my head in when teachers give a load of old questions that include other stuff...
Original post by EffKayy
But its more fun and interactive! hahaahhhhhhhhhh i want to do itttt :'(

:lol:
Lets then!
Reply 1191
Original post by AtomicMan

You don't have to know the pressure changes, that was in the old syllabus. All you have to know is that water passes over the gills, and you have to know the stucture of the gills (fillaments, lamallae etc) :smile:

I love it when you talk Biology to me. :sexface:

Sorry M_B, I couldn't resist. :tongue:
Original post by Tullia
I love it when you talk Biology to me. :sexface:

Sorry M_B, I couldn't resist. :tongue:

It would be helpful! :tongue:
Man I hate biol2
got 48/85 on June 2010
and 41/85 on Jan 2011

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!?!?! (except from everything)
awkward moment when im the only one there hahaha
Original post by EffKayy
awkward moment when im the only one there hahaha

If this was Skype it would have been ironic, as it would've meant that they were all talk. :laugh:

I'm really relaxed given the exams looming on Monday and Wednesday. Got to be a good sign. :smile:
I left the room by accident and now its full :laugh:
I left the room by accident and now its full :laugh:

You're not missing much...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending