The Student Room Group

BBC rap at Waterloo Road’s knife storyline

THE BBC has been bombarded with complaints about Waterloo Road for glamorising KNIVES.

Bosses have defended the drama's storyline which sees thugs running rampage through the school while trying to find new recruits for their gang.

Critics claim the controversial ongoing storyline will have an impact on watching children.

The shocking scenes have prompted 65 fans to complain to the BBC.

On Twitter, Jenny O'Reilly slammed the award-winning show's seventh series, tweeting: "Waterloo Road just promotes knife crime and drugs."

A parent added: "This storyline should never have been shown children are very impressionable. They might start to think it is unsafe if they are not carrying a knife."

A BBC spokesman said the storyline was researched with the help of charity Crimestoppers and the Met Police.

She said: "Every time violence and knives are used we ensure that we demonstrate that justice is served and explore the consequences of the crime.

"By the time the series completes, viewers will be left in no doubt of the danger of carrying knives."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4184221/Waterloo-Road-news-BBC-rap-at-knives-storyline.html

Scroll to see replies

They're ignoring the more pressing issue here: Waterloo Road promotes **** TV.
Reply 2
Jesus wept I watched the episode they didn't glamourise I ****ing hate these mums that want to destroy anything that could possibly harm their kids, they are the sort that will blame society if there innocent sweet kid does anything wrong, you get these kinds on that bloody mumset website **** off and let your child grown up in the real world.
Nobody wants to copy what the characters on Waterloo Road are doing. Nobody.
Reply 4
Original post by Shabalala
Jesus wept I watched the episode they didn't glamourise I ****ing hate these mums that want to destroy anything that could possibly harm their kids, they are the sort that will blame society if there innocent sweet kid does anything wrong, you get these kinds on that bloody mumset website **** off and let your child grown up in the real world.

This.

More importantly, it's only 65 complaints. Let's look at the ratings for those who watched the show and then let's compare it to the number of complaints. It's meaningless, miniscule, and these complaints only deserve to be in one place; the bin.
Reply 5
:facepalm2:
Seriously, What?
So a story line obviously, designed to confront the reality of knife crime is glamorising knifes? Next I suppose we won't be able to feature characters dealing with depression because it might make the kiddies feel a bit sad!
Reply 6
little children should be in bed at 8 o clock , and if you care so much then why even let them watch it
Once again, incapable parents blaming everything but themselves.
Reply 8
They're right, they should be playing Call of Duty instead
Reply 9
Original post by RobML
They're right, they should be playing Call of Duty instead

Ha ha! Exactly, video games promote more violence and crime than Waterloo Road. People like to complain about anything, though.
Reply 10
Isn't that Waterloo Road is there for? To show real issues like gang culture, how drugs can affect people, how eating disorders can affect teenagers? I personally think it does a very good at highlighting such issues.

And that article is from the Sun. Need I say anymore?
Why do people even watch Waterloo Road?
Reply 12
65 People complain, 65 million didn't. QQ.
Waterloo Road doesn't glamourise anything, Skins is the one that should be knocked. It's absolutely awful these days, and all it involves is ridiculous plots filled with drugs, drugs and more drugs - with the odd illegal drug operation, fighting club and a random guy that makes all his life decisions by rolling a die. :rolleyes:
Bet those 65 people are all Sun journalists.
surly if anything its showing knife crime is bad
Original post by shephi
65 People complain, 65 million didn't. QQ.

That's a very optimistic analysis of Waterloo Road's viewing figures.
Reply 17
Original post by SleepySheep
That's a very optimistic analysis of Waterloo Road's viewing figures.

I think it was more a rough estimate of the UK population, but i imagine theirs still a lot that didn't complain that did watch anyhow.
OH NOES NOT EVIL SCARY KNIVESES!! Better ban all those cooking programmes that feature people using knives, often demontrating their ability to slice through flesh, afterall we dont want to "glamourise" those evil knives now do we? And what about TV shows like Ray Mears Bushcraft, he carries knives, axes and machetes with him all the time, what sort of a message is that sending out to the poor impressionable children? :rolleyes:

----------

Going off topic slightly, am i the only one who finds it extremely sad how so many people these days view knives almost exclusively with fear and contempt, all because a tiny minority of people abuse them? The knife is the oldest (bar perhaps the hammer) most versatile, most widely used and most useful tool the human race has ever invented. It deserves so much more respect than people currently give it, without it our species would not be where we are today.

So heres to, "the knife". Mans real best friend. :wink:
Remove knife storyline: BBC criticised as weak, pathetic; ignoring real life issues in dramatic series.
Continue knife storyline: BBC criticised as spending TV licence money badly, being authoritarian and ignoring public demands; exposing children to real life issues.

Some people will find an excuse to criticise anything at any time. Most critics of the BBC fall into this category (and, additionally, the category of being stupid)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending