The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL: teaching quality, facilities, career services, legal clinic

I hold an offer for the LLB at KCL starting in Sep. 2024. I'm most curious about three things from people who have attended the law department at KCL: 1) teaching 2) facilities 3) career services. Using this to choose between KCL and QMUL, leaning towards the former. Got rejected from Cambridge law post-interview at Hughes Hall, and these were the factors I was most excited about by going there, so hoping to still land at a good quality alternative.

Teaching: Do the lecturers/professors create space and time for engagement with students, both during and outside the lectures?

Facilities: Do you personally enjoy the facilities at the law department? as in - is it well maintained, is there a lot of natural lighting? Also, what's the access like of law students to the somerset house?

Career services: Does the career services feel like a supportive/comprehensive service to you?

Legal clinic: have you found this to be an interesting experience? Does it allow you to engage with clients/communities in any way?
hi, first year in kcl.

teaching: the teaching is honestly excellent. I know law at KCL is top-notch, but most of my lecturers and teachers have been great. they also care a lot how you're progressing.

KCL law has plenty of contact hours, 12-13 hours per week, so more than the other London unis and most unis that offer law. of that is around 4 two-hour lectures and 4 one hour seminars (or tutorials as KCL calls it). these are class-based discussions on questions set which you are meant to prepare for with reading. involves problem questions and stuff. some lecturers are fairly interactive, others not so much. but overall, they're good at lecturing. one module I would argue is not so great though is European law - the main lecturer I've had kinda sucks, but that is the norm in like every uni to have one bad lecturer.

facilities: so the building which houses the law department - Somerset House is great. it's beautiful and historic, and the classes inside are cool too. two common rooms and a lot of natural lighting. law students can access Somerset House at any time.

however, I have to tell you that in first year you won't be in Somerset House unfortunately. you'll be in the Waterloo Campus, across the bridge from Strand. Waterloo Campus is not very pretty, and the building is more like a college or sixth form than a university, and hardly a campus - more a lone building on the side of the road. it sucks, but 2nd and 3rd year are in Somerset house on strand campus. you can also go to strand anytime to study in your own time and go to events and what not that societies hold.

career services: admittedly haven't used this much yet since I'm in first year, so I don't know too much. they do have a lot of useful information regarding careers though.

all in all, very good. but the big drawback is first year being in Waterloo Campus. not pretty. but it's right in the middle of London anyway, across the bridge from the main Strand campus and the bridge has arguably some of the best views of London

legal clinic: also haven't since I'm in first year, sorry. this can be picked as a module though in 2nd/3rd year.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Anonymous #1
hi, first year in kcl.

teaching: the teaching is honestly excellent. I know law at KCL is top-notch, but most of my lecturers and teachers have been great. they also care a lot how you're progressing.

KCL law has plenty of contact hours, 12-13 hours per week, so more than the other London unis and most unis that offer law. of that is around 4 two-hour lectures and 4 one hour seminars (or tutorials as KCL calls it). these are class-based discussions on questions set which you are meant to prepare for with reading. involves problem questions and stuff. some lecturers are fairly interactive, others not so much. but overall, they're good at lecturing. one module I would argue is not so great though is European law - the main lecturer I've had kinda sucks, but that is the norm in like every uni to have one bad lecturer.

facilities: so the building which houses the law department - Somerset House is great. it's beautiful and historic, and the classes inside are cool too. two common rooms and a lot of natural lighting. law students can access Somerset House at any time.

however, I have to tell you that in first year you won't be in Somerset House unfortunately. you'll be in the Waterloo Campus, across the bridge from Strand. Waterloo Campus is not very pretty, and the building is more like a college or sixth form than a university, and hardly a campus - more a lone building on the side of the road. it sucks, but 2nd and 3rd year are in Somerset house on strand campus. you can also go to strand anytime to study in your own time and go to events and what not that societies hold.

career services: admittedly haven't used this much yet since I'm in first year, so I don't know too much. they do have a lot of useful information regarding careers though.

all in all, very good. but the big drawback is first year being in Waterloo Campus. not pretty. but it's right in the middle of London anyway, across the bridge from the main Strand campus and the bridge has arguably some of the best views of London

legal clinic: also haven't since I'm in first year, sorry. this can be picked as a module though in 2nd/3rd year.

HUGE thanks to you for taking the time to share your experience in detail!! Exactly the kind of input im looking for. Also acknowledging your honesty - I hear the drawback about the Waterloo campus, and I get that not every lecturer can be an ace. Luckily those short comings don't make me any less excited. Overall sounds like a first-class experience! Wishing you a good rest of your academic year 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest