The Student Room Group

Modified Cars

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Walter Ego
£3k and it looks like it was made by an 8 year old in metalwork class.

Try welding Ti and get back to me on how your welding lines look and then say the same about Amuse exhausts...
Reply 81
Original post by iwantcheese5
Just get the J's Racing one :tongue:

I did! I ordered the Js 70rs dual back in January, but in stainless. The delivery time was meant to be 10 weeks, well its now 12 weeks and the latest is that its coming in June, I have the worse luck I swear! I have had to put my original exhaust back on, god its quiet and lost so much mid range without the tuned Amuse :frown: Can't wait to get the aamuse repaired!

Texan,

A group of us on the s2ki forum have had the same thing happen, albeit mine is the worst and emailed and called Amuse and basically because the exhaust was more than a year old and designed to be only used on a race track they were not helpful at all, plus any repairs would have to be done in Japan. So posting a v expensive and fragile exhaust back to Japan and then back to the UK wasn't that appealing or financially viable! It's cheaper to get it repaired here.

My plan is to delete the mid box and just run a bit of straight pipe instead. But sourcing 1mm, 60mm od titanium pipe is easier said than done! But I think I found a place so going to get like half a meter supplied and get my welder to weld it in. As you say, welding titanium is proper hard so you have to find a very competent welder first!

The exhaust is beautifully made so it seems a shame to scrap it when the rest of the welds and metal work is first class, so I will fix it. Just a shame the mid box is not engineered well enough for the vibrations it suffers on shifts I think.
Reply 82
Looks to me like it needs a flex cuff like a turbo system would...
Reply 83
Ooo that's a good idea!!

Now I wonder if you can get them in titanium!? lol
Reply 84
Original post by gbduo
Ooo that's a good idea!!

Now I wonder if you can get them in titanium!? lol

I'm not sure. You should look it up :cool:
Reply 85
Right bit more happened on the car today, Innovative Mounts from the US and a manifold from the US as well! The manifold is a direct copy of the J's Racing header but at a fraction of the cost, £320 delivered via air freight instead of £1400 for the J's delievered by a wish and prayer! The mounts are made by Innovative and replace the engine mounts and transmission mounts with urethane bushes at what they call 75a strength. There are 4 grades, 60a (street), 75a (street/track), 85a (track) and 95a (solid). I went for the 75a after reading loads on s2ki about how they are the best compromise and don't give too much more vibration, only a little more on tick over but massively better feel through the steering and rifle bolt action gear changes which is true!

Anyway, here are some pics, if you need any more, then let me know, I have loads, haha!

Reply 86
Looking good, I really want to do some serious modifications to my car but I struggle to justify spending the money on the car and I don't really have the space/equipment to do anything major. Should be fixing that after the summer; trying to get an industrial unit with some friends to store/work on cars etc in.
Reply 87
Ooo, now that is a good idea! You would have so much space then and with friends it could be quite cheap too.
Reply 88
has anyone here thought about putting a breather or oil catcher on the crankcase vent rather than routing it straight back into the inlet manifold through the air system.

Would avoid the EGR valve and inlet manifold getting clogged up with gunge wouldn't it?

Going to be blanking my EGR shortly, thinking about doing that too to stop all the oily gunge building up again.
Reply 89
Yeh, do you burn a lot of oil then? Only really worth it if you are on a track or your car burns oil through the PCV. In saying that, it is very easy to do so nothing stopping you.
Reply 90
not that much, but all the gunk at the EGR and manifold must be caused by the oil being recirculated, if you took it out the system then there would be less gunk. Just thought it would make maintance easier as you wouldn't have to keep clearing it out/get the drop in performance and fuel economy from the gunk.

Also, if you just but a breather on won't the oil just spray everything inside the engine bay unless you route it away from the engine under one of the wings or something?

Seen someone else do this on my car and completely get rid of the EGR system.
Reply 91
Well the breather is just there to vent oil vapour, so when the engine gets very hot, the oil turns to vapour and then normally it is recirculated into the intake and burnt off, a breather or catch can will either vent the vapour to atmosphere and usually leave you with an oily bonnet or obviously a catch can allows the oil to cool and condense back into oil which can then be discarded.

The EGR is there to make the engine look more efficient than it is, so you may have issues come MOT time when they check the emissions because your CO and hydro carbons will be up. Especially if you decat as well. However, if you can put the system back to normal for that one day of the year or it doesn't make much difference then yeh crack on.
Reply 92
Yeah, though I've been on the talk ford forum and it seems a lot of people have still passed the emissions testing for MOT with the EGR blanked, supposed to be a fair performance/engine longitivity/efficiency gain too (turbo diesel so heard it can make more of a difference than to a n/a petrol engine)
Reply 93
Sounds like a go then!
Vtec Yo!!

Nice work gbdue.

Ever thought about chucking a turbo in?
Reply 95
Yeh thought about it, then calculated the cost at around £6k plus ecu and mapping (another £1.5k) and then stopped thinking about it! It would be awesome as the car would be touching 500whp, but I would rather get a Westfield and put a turbo F20C in that to be honest...
Original post by gbduo
Yeh thought about it, then calculated the cost at around £6k plus ecu and mapping (another £1.5k) and then stopped thinking about it! It would be awesome as the car would be touching 500whp, but I would rather get a Westfield and put a turbo F20C in that to be honest...

I wonder how the F20 will deliver with a turbo comparatively.. could imagine a blower being a lot more useful for the low end kick
Reply 97
Yeh, there are plenty of supercharged/turbocharged engines about. Supercharging maintains the NA characteristics of the engine, just with more grunt throughout the rev range, turbo obviously delivers all in one lump above about 5000rpm, normally when VTEC kicks in as well so it is more laggy, but you get much more power. Supercharging gets you about 500bhp, max, turbocharging you can get up to 800-850 hp if you throw enough money at the engine!

Depends on where you going to drive the car, probably as a daily drive, the supercharger is better, but on a track, you want power so a turbo is good. The main problem with turbo though is heat as everything is quite tight under the bonnet and you normally have to vent the bonnet and put an undertray in to aid in cooling out the top.

Then it all gets very very expensive!
Original post by gbduo
Yeh, there are plenty of supercharged/turbocharged engines about. Supercharging maintains the NA characteristics of the engine, just with more grunt throughout the rev range, turbo obviously delivers all in one lump above about 5000rpm, normally when VTEC kicks in as well so it is more laggy, but you get much more power. Supercharging gets you about 500bhp, max, turbocharging you can get up to 800-850 hp if you throw enough money at the engine!

Depends on where you going to drive the car, probably as a daily drive, the supercharger is better, but on a track, you want power so a turbo is good. The main problem with turbo though is heat as everything is quite tight under the bonnet and you normally have to vent the bonnet and put an undertray in to aid in cooling out the top.

Then it all gets very very expensive!

yeah I Spose it's always the way.. I was toying with charging the XR8 beffore I decided to sell, but I've always been a fan of turbo grunt personally.. did wonder how much space there was to work with under the hood in the 2k, I spose a supercharged one is a bit more dynamic, can imagine that being great fun! A mate of mine has a mugen kitted civvy, but drove a mugen baged and patched s2k on a test drive. god it sounded nice! :lol:
Reply 99
M any
U naffordable
G obsmackingky
E xpensive
N ovelties

:d

I'm more of a Js racing, Spoon Sports and Powerhouse Amuse man over Mugen! The Mugen Civics are uber cool though, just horrendously expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending