The Student Room Group

How much would you pay for a 4 month work placement?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Where does the money go ? (University or Company)

TBD

Original post by BERLO
Conditions: company unknown / organised by Brunel University / price £800
Reply 41
Original post by VintageJasmine
No. They're not.

She mentioned that outside of UCL, Oxbridge, etc. (the 'golden triangle') there's no clear ranking.

The 1994 Group and RG are research-oriented organizations. That you think they represent some sort of 'pecking order' is quite silly when you consider the fact that quite a few 'unaffiliated' universities outrank many of the 1994/RG universities in both the national and international league tables.

When you talk to emplyoers and academia it is quite clear that Russel Group unis are considered more prestigious than Ex-Polys. You can't tell my otherwise. Many employers will even ask for graduates to have degrees from Russel Group Unis.
It is extremely naive to assume that there is no clear ranking (esp. given that there are like at least 7) and that an employer will not differentiate KCL, Reading and Manchester Met.
Should also point out that the RAE assessment pretty litteraly uses a tier system.

I'd like to know what unaffiliated unis you refer to that outrank "many" russel group and 1994 unis.

Anyway, i am confused as to why we have this debate, as I also did not put Brunel into a clear tier. Would everyone be more comfortable if i said "3rd or 4th rate instiution" or "an instiution of lower reputation"? That does not change the meaning of my message at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by TBD
Where does the money go ? (University or Company)

TBD

Don´t know but I guess to the university
Original post by KLL
When you talk to emplyoers and academia it is quite clear that Russel Group unis are considered more prestigious than Ex-Polys. You can't tell my otherwise. Many employers will even ask for graduates to have degrees from Russel Group Unis.
It is extremely naive to assume that there is no clear ranking (esp. given that there are like at least 7) and that an employer will not differentiate KCL, Reading and Manchester Met.
Should also point out that the RAE assessment pretty litteraly uses a tier system.

I'd like to know what unaffiliated unis you refer to that outrank "many" russel group and 1994 unis.

Anyway, i am confused as to why we have this debate, as I also did not put Brunel into a clear tier. Would everyone be more comfortable if i said "3rd or 4th rate instiution" or "an instiution of lower reputation"? That does not change the meaning of my message at all.

More like 'an institution of slightly average reputation'. :P

As for the unaffiliated universities that outrank RG universities...

You have Aberdeen and Dundee, that outrank most universities in the global rankings. You have City and Buckingham, Buckingham having been ranked 21st for a while now. Even the 'lowly' Brunel outranks most RG universities in subject based league tables for courses like engineering. :tongue:

That's not mentioning Aston, which is regularly in the top 20-ish or Kent.
Reply 44
Original post by VintageJasmine
More like 'an institution of slightly average reputation'. :P

As for the unaffiliated universities that outrank RG universities...

You have Aberdeen and Dundee, that outrank most universities in the global rankings. You have City and Buckingham, Buckingham having been ranked 21st for a while now. Even the 'lowly' Brunel outranks most RG universities in subject based league tables for courses like engineering. :tongue:

That's not mentioning Aston, which is regularly in the top 20-ish or Kent.

I guess it depends on how you define average

in the QS ranking, the only RG uni that aberdeen outranks is belfast.
Dundee doesn't outrank any RG univeristy. I didn't look it up in the dictionary, but thats not what the word "most" implies.

But that all is beside the point anyway
Reply 45
I'm sure you can ask someone directly for an internship. Sure, you may not even get a stipend - but you won't have to actually 'pay' (bar a coffee, phonecall etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending