The Student Room Group

Bath or Newcastle psychology

Hi, was wondering if anyone knew which uni was better to firm out of Bath or Newcastle? Wondering which has the better course, better prospects and better student life. I have a conditional offer from both and am trying to decide between them.

Any help would be nice. Thank you
(edited 1 year ago)
Bump
Original post by 1122334454
Hi, was wondering if anyone knew which uni was better to firm out of Bath or Newcastle? Wondering which has the better course, better prospects and better student life. I have a conditional offer from both and am trying to decide between them.

Any help would be nice. Thank you

I can't comment on which has the "better student life", as that a tad too subjective, but I can tell you the Bath has a reputation for having one of the best Psychology courses in the country (regularly ranking in the top 5 on multiple league tables).

According to The Uni Guide, 84% of Psychology students at Bath are satisfied overall with the quality the course, compared with 77% at Newcastle. In terms of degree outcome, 98% at Bath get a 2:1 or above, compared to 93% at Newcastle. The average salary for Psychology graduates from Bath is £21,263 six months after graduating; at Newcastle it's £18,000. (Source: Bath and Newcastle.)

For the "better" course and prospects: Bath.
Original post by DataVenia

According to The Uni Guide, 84% of Psychology students at Bath are satisfied overall with the quality the course, compared with 77% at Newcastle. In terms of degree outcome, 98% at Bath get a 2:1 or above, compared to 93% at Newcastle. The average salary for Psychology graduates from Bath is £21,263 six months after graduating; at Newcastle it's £18,000. (Source: Bath and Newcastle.)

For the "better" course and prospects: Bath.

I am more familiar with the Bath psychology courses, but know both cities well. I don't think it's a straight fair comparison.

Bath is in the south of the country and Newcastle is in the North, which has local pay differentials especially for graduates that stick around in the short term. Bath has a placement year, and takes 4 years, which has massive implications. It can lead to great contacts, hard to acquire work experience and can even earmark you for future roles (if you play your cards right). It's also far more expensive than Newcastle, and that extra placement year at Bath (which may or may not be paid), may be a total waste if you don't know what you want. I can think of at least one person who pretty much spent a placement year doing very little and would have been better off working in any generic job. The nightlife in Newcastle is amazing but less so in Bath.

On one hand if you are motivated you can end up with a very similar outcome for far less money if you went to Newcastle, so economics may be a consideration. Or if you really need a specific placement that is hard to get otherwise, Bath would be better for you.

Quick Reply

Latest