The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oromis263
Over 4 subjects? Probably extremely rarely.

How about over 3?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Samriddha
How about over 3?

Again, very rarely. Why do you ask? :smile:
Original post by Oromis263
Again, very rarely. Why do you ask? :smile:

Curiosity :P the fear of competing with a batch of students who all have 100% UMS :L
I have a friend doing medicine there and he talked about it like there were several people with that standard of as levels and it just sounded ridiculous

EDIT: by there I meant Cambridge :smile:

Original post by bíborcsiga
Hi,

Congrats on your results! :smile: At Oxbridge every 3-year course is listed as a BA for traditional reasons. Here they list PBS az a science, which would mean averaging your three most relevant: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/. However, I'm not even sure which would be more relevant to you course out of RS an Economics. Your best bet might be to email King's admissions about this, I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

As for the TSA, not taking Critical Thinking won't really be a disadvantage. You can only really know how good you'll be if you do one of the past papers under timed conditions. I'd say that if you can get 35+/50 it won't hinder your chances, if you can get 40+, it's amazing, but you'd perhaps like to reconsider King's if you can't get over 30. These are just rough guidelines, though, and many people say that they don't attach much significance to the TSA, so you should simply choose the college you like most. (Btw there's a good book suggested on the website called Thinking Skills, which should more than compensate for your lack of CT A-Level.)

Anyhow, best of luck with your application. :smile:

Thank you. :smile: I will be sure to do that.

As for the TSA, I took the full 50-question test and completed it with a few minutes to spare. It said my score was 82%, so I guess 41, and that the mean was 63%. So King's is still an option it seems. Hooray! :tongue:

And thanks for your response! Best of luck with your application also, are you applying to Cambridge?
Hi,

I'm hoping to apply this year for Medicine and I was wondering is anyone else doing IB instead of A-levels... ?(well, in Poland I didn't have much choice. It was either IB or normal Polish Matura which sucks)

I was at the Open Days in 2010 and since then I didn't want to apply to any college other than Peterhouse. Recently I've been considering Newham instead... And for now I really don't know. Any tips/ideas to help me decide between these two? :rolleyes:
Reply 3985
Original post by lastlullabyy
Hi,

I'm hoping to apply this year for Medicine and I was wondering is anyone else doing IB instead of A-levels... ?(well, in Poland I didn't have much choice. It was either IB or normal Polish Matura which sucks)

I was at the Open Days in 2010 and since then I didn't want to apply to any college other than Peterhouse. Recently I've been considering Newham instead... And for now I really don't know. Any tips/ideas to help me decide between these two? :rolleyes:

Have you looked at the pros and cons on the wiki? And the relevant pages on the alternative prospectus?
Original post by gymrat
Same! hope they made a mistake with our papers but I doubt it :frown: maths is so objective unless they didn't mark everythng or missed out marks, are you close to the next grade up? What do you need?

2 ums from two papers for the A ! what about you
Original post by DJMayes
What sort of extracurricular activities did you have when applying for Maths? Are they particularly important?

I probably did more than your average Mathmo because I was originally going to apply for medicine. So I have things like volunteering in a home for people suffering from dementia, Duke of Edinburgh etc. but I only spent 1 line of my PS talking about those. I had also gone to an engineering taster week so I talked a bit about that, and I helped a maths teacher with a Year 9 class every week for about a year or so.

They aren't important. For maths, what is far more important is having read a couple of books as further study - you should talk about what areas of maths have interested you specifically due to reading these books. A good starter book is 'A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics' by Martin Liebeck.

Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
Congrats on getting in!

How did your STEP go? (well, I presume?)

As CD315 said, not brilliantly :tongue: I got a 2 in STEP II and 1 in STEP III. I don't think I performed at my best. Whilst I don't think I'm one who could easily squeeze out triple figure scores in each exam - I think I was very capable of getting 1, 1 or even S, 1 - I did let the pressure get to me a bit, especially in II (I was pretty close to the S in III).

Original post by Jammie Dodgers
I posted this earlier in the thread, just looking for more opinions before I decide to commit. ( Anyone else you wishes to give me advice, that would be great :smile: )

Academically you look great to be honest. 94% in chemistry is great, as is your maths score (damn you, beat me on C3 by 1 UMS :wink:) your biology is still very good so I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go. You should almost certainly get an interview so then it comes down to how you perform there and how you present your extra curriculars etc. :smile: I'd definitely say you should apply if you want to - you've got a good shot. :smile:
Original post by hassi94

As CD315 said, not brilliantly :tongue: I got a 2 in STEP II and 1 in STEP III. I don't think I performed at my best. Whilst I don't think I'm one who could easily squeeze out triple figure scores in each exam - I think I was very capable of getting 1, 1 or even S, 1 - I did let the pressure get to me a bit, especially in II (I was pretty close to the S in III).

That's still wicked! And who cares they let you in, life's good!

Original post by hassi94
For maths, what is far more important is having read a couple of books as further study

This is untrue, reading books is far less important for maths than for other subjects. Just doing an EPQ is sufficient, and most admission officers say its not necessary to read books as all they care about is your passion and talent for the subject. It can look good reading a book, but its definitely not important. Plus an EPQ just does the same job, in fact probably better as you can do complicated calculations in your EPQ whereas 'your opinion on a book' really doesn't show how capable mathematician you are, you might just enjoy reading.

Just to clarify, do university admissions see ALL module scores individually.

I'd much prefer that to a faceless computer that spits out this "magical average of 3 most relevant UMS".

Plus I am awaiting a response from a college admissions director but would appreciate your thoughts too. (See back a couple of pages for my full scores etc).

Bio Practical - 48/60 80% UMS, this is my worst % score, will the exams hold more weighting when considering individual scores. (My Bio exam record is 236/240).
Maths D1 - 82/100 my second worst score, I'm applying for BioNatSc simlar question as above, will this module be considered "less relevant" than say C2 where I scored 95/100?
Original post by Alex Bampton
Just to clarify, do university admissions see ALL module scores individually.

I'd much prefer that to a faceless computer that spits out this "magical average of 3 most relevant UMS".

Plus I am awaiting a response from a college admissions director but would appreciate your thoughts too. (See back a couple of pages for my full scores etc).

Bio Practical - 48/60 80% UMS, this is my worst % score, will the exams hold more weighting when considering individual scores. (My Bio exam record is 236/240).
Maths D1 - 82/100 my second worst score, I'm applying for BioNatSc simlar question as above, will this module be considered "less relevant" than say C2 where I scored 95/100?

They will see individual ums scores

Original post by JordanSadler2012
This is untrue, reading books is far less important for maths than for other subjects

He never said it was "as/more important than in other subjects", he said it was more important than most extracurriculars.

all they care about is your passion and talent for the subject. It can look good reading a book, but its definitely not important. Plus an EPQ just does the same job, in fact probably better as you can do complicated calculations in your EPQ whereas 'your opinion on a book' really doesn't show how capable mathematician you are, you might just enjoy reading.

I'd say reading books is a very good indicator as to how passionate someone is, especially with Maths. People who "just enjoy reading" would definitely not buy a maths book. Also, many of these books are written by illustrious mathematicians of today; I'd say you would learn more from one of these people (whether we are taking proper maths, or what maths is all about, or whatever) than by doing an EPQ.

PS: maths is hardly about "doing complicated calculations" anyway.
Original post by lp386
Have you looked at the pros and cons on the wiki? And the relevant pages on the alternative prospectus?

Of course I did, still can't decide... During the Open Days I haven't been to Newham so maybe that's the thing - I can't picture it properly...
Original post by Alex Bampton
Hello all again!

I'm pretty sure I will apply (BioNatsci) as my AS UMS scores are reasonable, particularly in relevant subjects / modules.

AAAA Average of 90% across all 4 Bio, Chem, Math, Phys. 91% top 3 and 90% most relevant (excluding physics).

Bio - 95% (98.3% excluding stupid practicals!)
Chem - 87%
Math - 88% (An 82% lowered score in a D1 applied module)
Phys - 91%

So I think that stands me in good stead? Admittedly I did retake 2 Jan Modules that both were on the same "blip" day but have recieved an A on every single module since which hopefully demonstrates consistency.

Seen some crazzzy UMS scores on here, anyone that has made it this far well done! And good luck, I look forward to your company on this journey :smile:

Well done on that boyo! :smile:
I have a fairly similar breakdown:
Bio - 92.7% (Due to 84% in my january exam)
Chem - 96.3%
Maths - 95.3% (Due to a 91 in S1)
Phys - 98.7%

I think you should be fairly happy with that :smile: You'll easily get an interview, where you have a chance to dazzle with your show skills :wink:

What college are you going for?

And for everyone, PLEASE help me decide!
I'm really stuck between Trinity Hall and Pembroke :-S
Both are really lovely places (Pembroke maybe slightly nicer, but doesn't have a river etc); great atmospheres (Trinity Hall is INCREDIBLY friendly, but because of being a small college with a smaller central site and annexes that are spread out, I thought it might not have as close a community atmosphere); Pembroke is apparently known for Bio NatSci (which would be useful for supervisions etc) and Trinity Hall has (the amazing) Dr Andrew Murray :smile:
Both seem similar for sports and academic prowess alike...

Anyone got any comments at all PLEASE! It's driving me crazy :rolleyes:
Any tiny comment on accomodation, atmosphere, supervisions, traditionalness or ANYTHING will be very very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 3995
Original post by lastlullabyy
Of course I did, still can't decide... During the Open Days I haven't been to Newham so maybe that's the thing - I can't picture it properly...

Sorry, that may have sounded more pointed than it was meant to be! It was just a couple of suggestions.

I find a lot of people have this problem - they can narrow it down to two/three/four quite well and then get really stuck. I solved this problem by switching from Oxford PPE with less than a month left and never actually visiting Cambridge, then picking the college that didn't want Further Maths or a TSA, had close links between the economics and geography departments, was good for my subject, accepted men (too much effort otherwise!), was medium-sized, had a choir that took on applicants that weren't choral scholars, and had relatively cheap accommodation and food prices. And it was central (so not Girton or Homerton). Those were my criteria (in no particular order, with the sillier ones added to narrow things down).

In the end you just have to pick one and hope for the best, even if it's for a silly reason! I know of one person who picked Jesus just because they could send letters telling their friends that they had a friend in Jesus...

Almost everyone finds they love their college - a college I visited exactly once before starting (for the interview) has pretty much become my home and I have an almost embarrassing level of pride in it.

More practically - what's attracting you to Newnham and what's worrying you about Peterhouse? Are these just last-minute jitters or is there something that's unsettling you?

In short (because this was a long post) - you'll probably be happy wherever, and in the end you just have to pick one, even if the reason seems really dumb and inconsequential. There is no one right answer!

Good luck.
Reply 3996
Original post by Lost And Confused
Well done on that boyo! :smile:
I have a fairly similar breakdown:
Bio - 92.7% (Due to 84% in my january exam)
Chem - 96.3%
Maths - 95.3% (Due to a 91 in S1)
Phys - 98.7%

I think you should be fairly happy with that :smile: You'll easily get an interview, where you have a chance to dazzle with your show skills :wink:

What college are you going for?

And for everyone, PLEASE help me decide!
I'm really stuck between Trinity Hall and Pembroke :-S
Both are really lovely places (Pembroke maybe slightly nicer, but doesn't have a river etc); great atmospheres (Trinity Hall is INCREDIBLY friendly, but because of being a small college with a smaller central site and annexes that are spread out, I thought it might not have as close a community atmosphere); Pembroke is apparently known for Bio NatSci (which would be useful for supervisions etc) and Trinity Hall has (the amazing) Dr Andrew Murray :smile:
Both seem similar for sports and academic prowess alike...

Anyone got any comments at all PLEASE! It's driving me crazy :rolleyes:
Any tiny comment on accomodation, atmosphere, supervisions, traditionalness or ANYTHING will be very very much appreciated :smile:

Good grades, congratulations! See my above post, it applies to you too. You'll be happy wherever you go (and I think you know that), but the hard part is picking one. There's no right answer, unfortunately, and one piece of information won't be enough to settle your nerves...

...but there will be a legion of Pembroke students in here in a moment to say nice things about their college, so your mind may be made up in a couple of hours!
Original post by Lord of the Flies
He never said it was "as/more important than in other subjects", he said it was more important than most extracurriculars.

I'd say reading books is a very good indicator as to how passionate someone is, especially with Maths. People who "just enjoy reading" would definitely not buy a maths book. Also, many of these books are written by illustrious mathematicians of today; I'd say you would learn more from one of these people (whether we are taking proper maths, or what maths is all about, or whatever) than by doing an EPQ.

PS: maths is hardly about "doing complicated calculations" anyway.

Well ive been to cambridge for two open days and a summer school and everytime theyve said reading isnt important or necessary. And i hate reading doesnt mean one bit that i dont have a passion for maths, it just means i dont have a passion for reading. I show my passion through other things like tutoring gcse students, doing an epq on a mathematical topic, helping out at open days to show year 11 students the importance and fun of mathematics etc. not saying theres anything wrong with reading, i even said it probably would look good, but theres many other things that can do the same job and its certainly not important. The important things are your ums and your interview thats all im saying

This is untrue, reading books is far less important for maths than for other subjects. Just doing an EPQ is sufficient, and most admission officers say its not necessary to read books as all they care about is your passion and talent for the subject. It can look good reading a book, but its definitely not important. Plus an EPQ just does the same job, in fact probably better as you can do complicated calculations in your EPQ whereas 'your opinion on a book' really doesn't show how capable mathematician you are, you might just enjoy reading.

It's by no means essential, but it is still far MORE important than extra-curricular activities. And yes, your PS should be pretty much all talking about your passion for the subject - you can't demonstrate much talent through writing about maths. Having books to talk about means you're not just saying 'I'm really passionate about maths. I really enjoy problem solving blah blah'. Instead you can say 'one aspect of maths I really built up an interest for is set theory. I pursued this interest by reading blah blah where I learnt blah blah and gained ....' - you get the point.

You clearly have never read a real maths book if you're going to make statements like that: you need mathematical talent to understand them. The only reason reading a book would be useless is that the ps is virtually irrelevant, but it still improves your understanding.

If anything, an epq is also useless as there's no way you can do anything remotely interesting/challenging in it. Performing 'complex calculations' doesn't demonstrate mathematical aptitude (and it's definitely not what you're going to be doing at uni).

Finally I would warn you against taking anything that individual admissions tutors say as gospel: they give tons of contradictory advice :wink:

(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending