The Student Room Group

Muslims please help- I`m confused

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
hi

I didnt know where to put this so i thought this would be the best place. sorry if tis in the wrong place

basically I`m a muslim girl, brought up as a muslim, quite happy, I pray (well sometimes now), wear hijab, sing qawalis and spiritual music with guitar, and read alot about spirituality

recently though I AM QUESTIONNING MY FAITH. what is wrong with me?
i dont have any muslim friends so its like i have no1 to ask this to, it`s kind of like i dont belong and all the muslims around me are so messed up. some people claiming to be religeous be mean, put people down and make people feel really horrible. this isnt what i believe in?
AND, my version of religeon- the one based on purity, spirituality, and cleansing of the heart isnt what others believe in... they have it based of figures/acts you have to do/ my version of religeon is of love... am so confused.
so much that am not quite sure whether im even muslim anymore

so, what should I do?
I mean i could leave faith, but i know i`ll regret it later...

i was a muslim...but went through that phase....only difference was i had alot of mates who tried making me be more religious....in the end...im happy being an atheist.....

ppl react differently...some people need "hope/faith" in their lifes.....i realised i didnt...

just all depends on you....dont listen to anyone else....do what feels right to you.....

u should know deep down
Reply 21
thanks, but i cant help letting others put me down. i feel religeously isolated?...

Aww, i'm sorry that you feel like this! Visit some islamic forums or if you want you can pm me about anything :smile:
Reply 22
hi

I didnt know where to put this so i thought this would be the best place. sorry if tis in the wrong place

basically I`m a muslim girl, brought up as a muslim, quite happy, I pray (well sometimes now), wear hijab, sing qawalis and spiritual music with guitar, and read alot about spirituality

recently though I AM QUESTIONNING MY FAITH. what is wrong with me?
i dont have any muslim friends so its like i have no1 to ask this to, it`s kind of like i dont belong and all the muslims around me are so messed up. some people claiming to be religeous be mean, put people down and make people feel really horrible. this isnt what i believe in?
AND, my version of religeon- the one based on purity, spirituality, and cleansing of the heart isnt what others believe in... they have it based of figures/acts you have to do/ my version of religeon is of love... am so confused.
so much that am not quite sure whether im even muslim anymore

so, what should I do?
I mean i could leave faith, but i know i`ll regret it later...

I understand the confusion you are facing. I know lots of people who know how to act in Islam and go on about how they believe in it but then do horrible actions and criticise others. However, I try not to think about all of these actions carried out by other people (which is hard considering I analyse everything) and aim to interpret my own version of Islam which is similar to yours - it's not like a points system but how well you treat others and submit to Allah S.W.T. I think it may also be harder because you don't have many muslim friends - it does make it easier, although this isn't to say go and befriend every muslim in sight!
Reply 23
Original post by catjaum
i was a muslim...but went through that phase....only difference was i had alot of mates who tried making me be more religious....in the end...im happy being an atheist.....

ppl react differently...some people need "hope/faith" in their lifes.....i realised i didnt...

just all depends on you....dont listen to anyone else....do what feels right to you.....

u should know deep down

interesting, so what made you decide it was not for you, and how long did the "transition" take?

also, how did family and those around you react? i mean i have not really discussed this with my parents as i know they`ll give me the "its the right way" lecture and if i decided it was not for me, they`d be peed off but with time they`d adjut, i just have to work out what i want :confused:

Original post by Issy123
Aww, i'm sorry that you feel like this! Visit some islamic forums or if you want you can pm me about anything :smile:

thanks perhaps i should try

Original post by ipr
I understand the confusion you are facing. I know lots of people who know how to act in Islam and go on about how they believe in it but then do horrible actions and criticise others. However, I try not to think about all of these actions carried out by other people (which is hard considering I analyse everything) and aim to interpret my own version of Islam which is similar to yours - it's not like a points system but how well you treat others and submit to Allah S.W.T. I think it may also be harder because you don't have many muslim friends - it does make it easier, although this isn't to say go and befriend every muslim in sight!

i guess so, but i always thought religeon never created doubt, you can only practice if you whole-heartedly believe, and im kind of not feeling it.
Reply 24
firstly i dont see the point of negs? i want an opinion, and everyones entitled to their own.

Original post by Bukhatir
بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The Prophet Muhammad (S) said: "Faith wears out in the heart of any one of you just as clothes wear out, so ask Allah to renew the faith in your hearts.
Try them out
1. Recognise and Repent
2. Perform Salah Regularly
Allah Almighty says in the Holy Qur�an:
"The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses -this Qur�an- are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their
3. Quranic Recitations-start with surah Yassen every morning if your capable
4. Engage in Dhikr (that is to remember Allah 24/7)
5.Voluntary Fasting
6.Remembering Death
7.Having Trust in Allah
8.Gaining knowledge

i used to spend alot of time doing these things, and for a while it seemed right, i mean there was even one quotation which i spend a full year focused on. the one where God himself says "take one step for me, and ill take 3 to you" and even when true love aspires "we become 1" as was the case for shibli during jalaluddin rumi`s conversion to mysticism

but i feel really hypocritical if that makes sense, ideas of death although are scary, i just accept their inevitability.

Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Nothing is wrong with you. It's called being an intelligent, critical human being. In my opinion you should keep questioning your faith. Question everything. You will either end up doing two things: you will love your faith more, or you will realise it is pointless, doesn't answer any of life's dilemmas, limits the human life experience for no reason etc etc.

It is likely the second will occur if you properly question your faith. This is because the answers you will receive when questioning your faith will be unsatisfactory. They are never satisfactory if you apply a critical outlook. That is why so many people are turning away from faith and why there are so many more atheists now more than ever before: people are more educated and are free to think the way they want.

Don't let anyone tell you not to question your faith.

What you are describing is a person who wishes to live an enjoyable 'moral' (whatever that is) life, but does not care as much about mysticism and arbitrary organised religion nonsense. There's nothing wrong with this. You can live a happy moral life without religion.

Good luck in life!

questionning does really begin to challenge your whole morality and your interpretation of right and wrong, which is good as i`ll hopefully find what`s right for me. whatever that may be.
Reply 25
interesting, so what made you decide it was not for you, and how long did the "transition" take?

also, how did family and those around you react? i mean i have not really discussed this with my parents as i know they`ll give me the "its the right way" lecture and if i decided it was not for me, they`d be peed off but with time they`d adjut, i just have to work out what i want :confused:

i realised deep down i dont really believe in religion....its as simple as that...the more i researched it...the more i actually didnt believe in it.....

if u look at how far back religion dates...if i was born about 1200 years ago i probably would have been religious...cos in those times life must have been tough/boring compared to now based on all the luxuries we have now of cars/planes/technology and the way of life is just soo different now....i honestly believe in those times people needed religion to have the hope life was worth living and there was a reason we were here..something better was to come from the struggles of life....

i dont need that....

and no i didnt tell my parents cos they would never understand...... i dont wana hurt their feelings.... and they would feel as though they have done something wrong in my upbringing and just blame themselves....i dont want that....

thanks perhaps i should try

i guess so, but i always thought religeon never created doubt, you can only practice if you whole-heartedly believe, and im kind of not feeling it.

URGH! I hate that excuse so much! It just results in me believing less in Islam.

I think I identify with being a Muslim since I grew up as one but I think my religious beliefs steer a bit towards deism.
Reply 27
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Nothing is wrong with you. It's called being an intelligent, critical human being. In my opinion you should keep questioning your faith. Question everything. You will either end up doing two things: you will love your faith more, or you will realise it is pointless, doesn't answer any of life's dilemmas, limits the human life experience for no reason etc etc.

It is likely the second will occur if you properly question your faith. This is because the answers you will receive when questioning your faith will be unsatisfactory. They are never satisfactory if you apply a critical outlook. That is why so many people are turning away from faith and why there are so many more atheists now more than ever before: people are more educated and are free to think the way they want.

Don't let anyone tell you not to question your faith.

What you are describing is a person who wishes to live an enjoyable 'moral' (whatever that is) life, but does not care as much about mysticism and arbitrary organised religion nonsense. There's nothing wrong with this. You can live a happy moral life without religion.

Good luck in life!

This has actually helped clear quite a few things for me and my questioning of Islam...Thank you
This has actually helped clear quite a few things for me and my questioning of Islam...Thank you

You're very welcome! Hope things go well for you.
Reply 29
Original post by catjaum
i realised deep down i dont really believe in religion....its as simple as that...the more i researched it...the more i actually didnt believe in it.....

if u look at how far back religion dates...if i was born about 1200 years ago i probably would have been religious...cos in those times life must have been tough/boring compared to now based on all the luxuries we have now of cars/planes/technology and the way of life is just soo different now....i honestly believe in those times people needed religion to have the hope life was worth living and there was a reason we were here..something better was to come from the struggles of life....

i dont need that....

and no i didnt tell my parents cos they would never understand...... i dont wana hurt their feelings.... and they would feel as though they have done something wrong in my upbringing and just blame themselves....i dont want that....

aww that`s really sweet- not telling your parents because you know it`ll hurt them, but how can you hide your beliefs?

Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
URGH! I hate that excuse so much! It just results in me believing less in Islam.

I think I identify with being a Muslim since I grew up as one but I think my religious beliefs steer a bit towards deism.

this is how my confusion began i must admit

i have decided that for the next few months- i have no beliefs. i`m going to look into all types of beliefs and their reasonings, and find what i guess i am looking for.

I am not going to tell anyone around me because i want this to be a personal journey, and until Ive made up my mind i`ll probably be flucutating to varying extremes.

thanks for all your help :smile:

P.S could both sides (athesist/god-believing) both some links on here- i need a starting point!!

thanks again
Reply 30
aww that`s really sweet- not telling your parents because you know it`ll hurt them, but how can you hide your beliefs?

i dont really hide them....i still only eat halal food (its become a habit now...i physically couldn't eat haram food)

i jus never pray...and my parents jus think im lazy.....but do still believe im a muslim at heart.....and if a situation comes and i have to pray i will.... just to keep them happy

and theirs some friends of mine who are really religious and i wont bother telling them im an atheist cos i cant really be asked hearing the lectures....

my advice...live your life how u wana....if u do wana be an atheist dont broadcast it to the world or members of your family who are extremely religious...

and your asking for links.....

hate to break it to you....but there are no proofs that any religion is correct...... or any proofs that religions dont exist (apart from common sense imo).....

the way i see it.....if you go looking for proof religion religion exists....you'll find something to cling on to and restore your faith........whereas if you go looking for contradictions and things to disprove religion you'll find things to re-assure yourself your right....

it all depends on your mindset......
Original post by catjaum
i dont really hide them....i still only eat halal food (its become a habit now...i physically couldn't eat haram food)

i jus never pray...and my parents jus think im lazy.....but do still believe im a muslim at heart.....and if a situation comes and i have to pray i will.... just to keep them happy

and theirs some friends of mine who are really religious and i wont bother telling them im an atheist cos i cant really be asked hearing the lectures....

my advice...live your life how u wana....if u do wana be an atheist dont broadcast it to the world or members of your family who are extremely religious...

and your asking for links.....

hate to break it to you....but there are no proofs that any religion is correct...... or any proofs that religions dont exist (apart from common sense imo).....

the way i see it.....if you go looking for proof religion religion exists....you'll find something to cling on to and restore your faith........whereas if you go looking for contradictions and things to disprove religion you'll find things to re-assure yourself your right....

it all depends on your mindset......

It's sweet that you've decided not to tell your parents you're not a muslim because you don't want to hurt their feelings... but what are you going to do when they expect you to marry a muslim woman? Also, what are you going to tell a girlfriend when she says she wants to meet your parents and accuses you of not taking the relationship seriously enough otherwise?
There are a lot more examples I can think of too, because like the OP my parents are muslim and I'm not sure I'm religious myself (although I think I consider myself agnostic rather than atheist) and telling them is something I've been putting off for quite a while now.
Reply 32
It's sweet that you've decided not to tell your parents you're not a muslim because you don't want to hurt their feelings... but what are you going to do when they expect you to marry a muslim woman? Also, what are you going to tell a girlfriend when she says she wants to meet your parents and accuses you of not taking the relationship seriously enough otherwise?
There are a lot more examples I can think of too, because like the OP my parents are muslim and I'm not sure I'm religious myself (although I think I consider myself agnostic rather than atheist) and telling them is something I've been putting off for quite a while now.

when it comes to me marrying someone... i would prefer if their muslim so my parents would be happy...but if i end up marrying someone that isn't....i know my parents would accept them anyway.....cos more then anything they would put my happiness first.....

and non of my ex girlfriends have ever asked to see my parents :s-smilie: .... and there are other ways out there to prove if your serious....that dont involve parents....

best case scenario is to marry someone else whos pretending to be muslim aswell.....keeps both families happy...and the kids can be fake muslims aswell to keep the grandparents happy...lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending