The Student Room Group
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website

HPAT Ulster 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
When I emailed to enquire about applying for SLT, the lady told me that a high score on the HPAT was their "main criteria". Seems a bit lazy to me, probably just saves them from sorting through all the applications they receive TBH. It's not like doing well on a random test means you'd make a good speech therapist or physio or whatever.
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by BillyBrid
When I emailed to enquire about applying for SLT, the lady told me that a high score on the HPAT was their "main criteria". Seems a bit lazy to me, probably just saves them from sorting through all the applications they receive TBH. It's not like doing well on a random test means you'd make a good speech therapist or physio or whatever.

I presume the reason they focus so much on the HPAT is that Northern Ireland is too small a place to be holding interviews in. The chance that somebody interviewing you or reading your personal statement might know you is higher than in mainland Britain.

That's just a guess mind. Certainly it's the main reason why a UCAS type system could never work in the Republic.
i have applied for SLT and diagnostic radiography .... got 58 and 55% .... Does anyone know if I have any chance with radiography? .. I know SLT is high 90's! Soooo nervous! I know people last year got in with low marks in their Hpat. How do they distinguish?
Reply 63
Original post by DK_Tipp
I presume the reason they focus so much on the HPAT is that Northern Ireland is too small a place to be holding interviews in. The chance that somebody interviewing you or reading your personal statement might know you is higher than in mainland Britain.

That's just a guess mind. Certainly it's the main reason why a UCAS type system could never work in the Republic.

The republic of ireland does have a UCAS type system its called CAO (http://www.cao.ie/).
Reply 64
Original post by cmg1994
The republic of ireland does have a UCAS type system its called CAO (http://www.cao.ie/).

I know that. I went through it (I'm from the South). The CAO differs in that there is no subjective element at any stage, no Personal Statement, no interviews, just a straight points race. In some ways it's fairer than UCAS but I think UCAS encourages students to put a lot more thought in to picking a career and a college.
Reply 65
Original post by DK_Tipp
I know that. I went through it (I'm from the South). The CAO differs in that there is no subjective element at any stage, no Personal Statement, no interviews, just a straight points race. In some ways it's fairer than UCAS but I think UCAS encourages students to put a lot more thought in to picking a career and a college.

Oh sorry it just because i was considering a down south university but never got as far as actually starting an application because i would have required a GCSE in a lanugage which was not english :frown:, so as much as i had seen of it, it seemed very much like ucas only a little bit more confusing because of the fact it was in leaving certs. And i don't think either queens or university of ulster do interviews because i got an offer for queens for pharmacy without an interview and an offer from colerine (lol i can't spell it) for biomedical without an interview and then my radiography doesn't require an interview only the H-PAT. But the two i applied to in britan (england and wales) require an interview for pharmacy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cmg1994
Oh sorry it just because i was considering a down south university but never got as far as actually starting an application because i would have required a GCSE in a lanugage which was not english :frown:, so as much as i had seen of it, it seemed very much like ucas only a little bit more confusing because of the fact it was in leaving certs. And i don't think either queens or university of ulster do interviews because i got an offer for queens for pharmacy without an interview and an offer from colerine (lol i can't spell it) for biomedical without an interview and then my radiography doesn't require an interview only the H-PAT. But the two i applied to in britan (england and wales) require an interview for pharmacy.

i applied for a number of unis in southern ireland and i had to send a personal statement, i am a mature student mind, maybe its different for me. They dont give u as much guidance through cao like i have had to email a number of people from the uni to get an idea of when i might hear from them, its way later than ucas so i will have to firm a offer for leeds when i would actually still quite like to go to cork.
Reply 67
Original post by Sophie1985
i applied for a number of unis in southern ireland and i had to send a personal statement, i am a mature student mind, maybe its different for me. They dont give u as much guidance through cao like i have had to email a number of people from the uni to get an idea of when i might hear from them, its way later than ucas so i will have to firm a offer for leeds when i would actually still quite like to go to cork.

At least you have leeds as a back up :smile:. but some universitys here keep you waiting 2 i know a couple of people still waiting for offers or rejects even now but up until a certain date they are allowed to keep us waiting but some univesitys like to send them out early then send them emails and letter to show there interst in the student, presuade us to chose there university :P. I thought as a mature student it will making it eaiser for them to decide as you already have the grades.
Reply 68
Anyone think we will hear today, and if so what time do they normally contact you.
Reply 69
Just phoned UUJ, she told me offers will be out by this afternoon, good luck everyone!
Reply 70
I just got two unconditionals from UU - one each for diagnostic and therapeutic radiography!!! Anyone else going for these??
Reply 71
I got into SLT! :biggrin: So happy.
Reply 72
Original post by BillyBrid
I got into SLT! :biggrin: So happy.

Congrats!!!! :smile:
Reply 73
Got Into OT :biggrin: :biggrin: ah
Reply 74
I got an unconditional offer on friday for dietetics, anyone else doing it?
Reply 75
Offer for Physio in this morning :biggrin:
Reply 76
Congrats to you too, nachtjenevel! Cara27, do you mind me asking how you did on the HPAT? I have a friend in the 57th percentile and he hasn't heard back yet...
Reply 77
Original post by Sophie1985

Yeah, mature students in the south have to send more info and usually do interviews. However I think that most colleges actually have a minimum number of places set aside for mature students.

What is the course in Cork? It's a pretty nice city.
Got a conditional offer for Diagnostic Radiography (scored 56 overall and 43rd percentile if anyone wants reference in regards to HPAT and offers), though I don't think I can match up to the conditions required lol looks like Zoology will be my firm and Biomedical Science at University of Ulster (Coleraine) will be my insurance! Really excited for uni, best of luck to all doing any of the health sciences! :biggrin:
Reply 79
Hey,

for anyone who wants to know what hpat result got me an offer-
I git 65 overall score and 86 %

Quick Reply

Latest