The Student Room Group

AQA AS Level Geography - coastal management case study

Hi everyone,

The problem I have is that I practically don't have a geography teacher for AS Level (long story) and so I receive no guidance on what notes I need.

In the specification for this course, it says that you need two case studies for coastal management in contrasting areas. One hard engineering, and one soft. I've done Lyme Regis for the hard engineering, because I could find lots of information on the advantages and disadvantages to the scheme. But I can't find a decent case study for soft engineering. There are a few, such as Pevensey Bay and (perhaps) the Netherlands, but I can't find much about the benefits and problems on any.

So what case studies has everyone done for the Coastal Zone unit? And have you got ones with specific advantages and disadvantages of the hard/soft engineering strategies used?

Please help, things are getting desperate now! Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by roro_tu
Hi everyone,

The problem I have is that I practically don't have a geography teacher for AS Level (long story) and so I receive no guidance on what notes I need.

In the specification for this course, it says that you need two case studies for coastal management in contrasting areas. One hard engineering, and one soft. I've done Lyme Regis for the hard engineering, because I could find lots of information on the advantages and disadvantages to the scheme. But I can't find a decent case study for soft engineering. There are a few, such as Pevensey Bay and (perhaps) the Netherlands, but I can't find much about the benefits and problems on any.

So what case studies has everyone done for the Coastal Zone unit? And have you got ones with specific advantages and disadvantages of the hard/soft engineering strategies used?

Please help, things are getting desperate now! Thanks a lot :smile:

Hi, I'm currently studying A2 Geography (CIE) but we cover coastal management strategies in some detail. I find the best one for hard engineering is the Holderness Coastline in East Yorkshire, which is experiencing rapid erosion (nearly 2m per year on average) and so they need to find strategies which will drastically reduce the amount of erosion.

The Netherlands would in fact be hard engineering - they are a very low-lying country and they need to ensure that the defences they put in place will work.

In terms of soft engineering, I use Blackwater Estuary along the Essex coastline, where beach nourishment, dune stabilisation and managed retreat are currently in place. It is generally viewed that these methods are more 'in tune' with the environment. Miami, USA is another good case study for beach nourishment.

Hope that helps!
For soft engineering in our school we use the Ebro Delta on the north-east coast of Spain. There's not too much information but there is a 20 page pdf on it somewhere on the internet all you have to do is Google it. For Hard engineering we're doing the holderness coast and there's a 20 page pdf on that from the same website
Reply 3
We did Barton on Sea and the Isle of Wight for a mix of both hard and soft engineering schemes.
There are a lot more case studies in our textbook that go into more detail than I can remember right now. It's the brown AQA AS Geography: Student's guide. It's quite expensive at £20, but there are some cheaper pre-owned ones available on amazon. If you don't have this already I would advise buying it as it is really useful!

Good luck with your exams :smile:
THere was a place in Essex that took down Sea defences, that is always a good one to have, and the name has totally gone out of my head.
Reply 5
Original post by clareramos
THere was a place in Essex that took down Sea defences, that is always a good one to have, and the name has totally gone out of my head.

Abbots Farm, Tollesbury etc.
thanks Natalie. Was Abbots Farm.
Reply 7
Yeah try abbotts hall farm in essex. Basically because the land was only low-value agricultural land they let it flood and create a new area of salt marsh as it was the best alternative and the Essex Wildlife Trust wanted to create more salt marshes anyway. The advantages were that new habitats were created for birds and fish and because it was very successful and there were no disadvantages it is now used as a demonstration project for management retreat. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks to everyone who replied, you've all given me a good idea of what I needed. I ended up doing the Essex area for soft engineering, as I found a lot of stuff on t'internet :smile:

Thanks again, hope exam goes well for everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending