The Student Room Group

Men of all ages ! What girly music do you listen to?

Scroll to see replies

Shania twain...Man i feel like a Woman!

can't..help...myself
Original post by sunexotic
Well I think you need to diversify your music taste.

Start with the song I linked :wink:

What song?

I like hip-hop & rock... Not many women make music in either genre.

The White Stripes are the closest thing I have to a female artist.
Reply 62
Original post by Newbie123
What song?

I like hip-hop & rock... Not many women make music in either genre.

The White Stripes are the closest thing I have to a female artist.

Yeah, I guess those genres are male dominated, but hey try out some other genres.. not sure what this one's called though.

It's by Christina Perri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_4O44sfjM&ob=av2e
Yeah, I guess those genres are male dominated, but hey try out some other genres.. not sure what this one's called though.

It's by Christina Perri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_4O44sfjM&ob=av2e

Meh.

It sounds like a funeral song.
Reply 64
I'm amazed no one has said Maroon 5!! (Not their later crap: Moves like jagger eugh!)

[video="youtube;l_CqMFKak1c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_CqMFKak1c[/video]
Cat Power (I'm proud about this one.. seriously check her out)

Cat Power's music is in no way 'girly', she's just a woman. I think it's quite masculine, in fact, in the same respect as PJ Harvey as they both have the 'rock n roll sensibility' often attributed to machismo.

It's hard to put your finger on exactly what constitutes 'girly' music but I think there is a certain emotional resonance through lots of music and lyrics that definitely has an effeminate quality to it. I listen to loads of female folk artists, none of which produce 'girly' music. Artists themselves cannot be 'girly' either but can produce 'girly' songs as well as 'manly' songs.
Reply 66
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Cat Power's music is in no way 'girly', she's just a woman. I think it's quite masculine, in fact, in the same respect as PJ Harvey as they both have the 'rock n roll sensibility' often attributed to machismo.

It's hard to put your finger on exactly what constitutes 'girly' music but I think there is a certain emotional resonance through lots of music and lyrics that definitely has an effeminate quality to it. I listen to loads of female folk artists, none of which produce 'girly' music. Artists themselves cannot be 'girly' either but can produce 'girly' songs as well as 'manly' songs.

I'm very much like you, I enjoy listening to female folk artists, of course these folk artists are often most famous for a particular song which can be described as effeminate. That's because their songs will appear in Twilight or something similar.

Cat Power is definitely not girly, like you said. I'm looking forward to her new album this year. 'Maybe Not' is probably my favourite song by her and that is one of the most powerful, manly songs there is. (This is a tangent.. but I haven't really met a fellow Cat Power fan) However.. when I tell people about her, all they hear is the name 'Cat Power' (Which tbh is a girly name). They youtube her and listen to her cover of 'Sea of Love'... which is brilliant.. but also not the most masculine of songs.

But there are definitely girly artists in my opinion, whose songs and image are made for girls.

The girls that Disney have 'produced', ring a bell here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Seriously, no one's said this yet?
[video="youtube;Cwkej79U3ek"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwkej79U3ek[/video]
Reply 68
Like a few Taylor Swift songs...
Reply 69
I'll admit I'm a massive fan of Taylor Swift.

And Avril Lavigne, various symphonic metal bands (Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil), Kate Bush, Florence+the Machine, Ellie Goulding, Marina, a bit of Emmy the Great, The Good Natured, Diana Vickers, Regina Spektor, A Fine Frenzy, Imogen Heap.

In retrospect, most of the bands (except for some true rock/metal classics and power ballads) I like have female singers...
Reply 70
^ Completely forgot about Regina Spektor !

Do all these people also watch the 'chick flicks' I've watched..

500 days of Summer anyone?
Reply 71
[video="youtube;8v_4O44sfjM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8v_4O44sfjM[/video]

This is the song that first prompted me to start this thread.

Someone else please say it's as addictive as I find it ...

i love this song!
Reply 72
Taylor Swift will forever have my heart; her songs sing my soul!
Reply 73
Original post by cl_steele
i love this song!

^^ Thaank You
Reply 74
Original post by Jamal B
Seriously, no one's said this yet?
[video="youtube;Cwkej79U3ek"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwkej79U3ek[/video]

Tune.
Reply 75
My sister just walked into me watching Christina Perri... commenting on my music choice.

I feel so ashamed :eek:

This actually did just happen :frown:
Reply 76
One Direction.

I don't even care.
Some of this music isn't 'girly' (whatever the **** that's supposed to mean anyway). It's just performed by women. And people have seriously tried to claim that female musicians have it just as easy as male musicians... I think this thread proves otherwise.
Reply 78
Original post by ArtGoblin
Some of this music isn't 'girly' (whatever the **** that's supposed to mean anyway). It's just performed by women. And people have seriously tried to claim that female musicians have it just as easy as male musicians... I think this thread proves otherwise.

Perhaps whether a song is girly (yes.. who knows what that means?) or not is personal to you.

Some men try to extremely cool and only ever admit to listening to the likes of Oasis, Rolling Stones etc..

Most people don't mention their occasional guilty pleasure.

And I don't know where your second point comes from..
Have so many guilty pleasures. Taylor Swift, Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Regina Spektor, to name but a few.

Quick Reply

Latest