The Student Room Group

What feminine clothing itens wkll become commonplace for men to wear in the future?

I think It is ridiculous that clothing is gendered and is acceptable for women to wear masculine clothing but not the other around. Male and female body shapes are similar and there are guys with large breasts and women with tall and large structure.

So do you think that men Will wear feminine clothing items in the future? Some items I think that men Will wear are:

Desses;

Skirts;

High knee boots;

Lingerie;

Bras( could be useful for men with manboobs);

I mean not only the clothing items but all textures, colors and styles women wear I think men could wear as well. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think might not be exactly clothing but some makeup like concealer to cover up ache will become more common in guys
all of it, eventually. how long term is your "future"?
Tights.
I think it depends on the change in the aesthetic appeal of such apparel, as not many people think that much feminine apparel look good on men.
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
all of it, eventually. how long term is your "future"?

As early as 20 years as it can be in the distant future like 200 years. I think gender roles are ridiculous they should not exist. For me gendered clothes is pure Marketing and it sorts restricts what people wanted how to dress.
Original post by Sabrine Crystal
As early as 20 years as it can be in the distant future like 200 years. I think gender roles are ridiculous they should not exist. For me gendered clothes is pure Marketing and it sorts restricts what people wanted how to dress.

in the next 20-50 years imo we'll probably have more "feminine" everyday clothes for men. wider color ranges, skirts, leggings etc., but they'll probably still be regarded as gnc. it will probably become more commonplace eventually. what do you think?
Probably everything. Guys wear crop tops and mini skirts now.
Original post by Moonlight Rain
Probably everything. Guys wear crop tops and mini skirts now.

I think the crop tops are actually a thing from the 80s making a return.

Guys technically do wear different clothes even now, but it's sometimes against the dress code and people do give a lot of funny looks. I'm not sure I'd say it's acceptable or normalised.
Men look bad in a lot of women's clothing. Some of those things can already be masculine (kilts are effectively skirts, cowboy boots are knee-height). I can't think of any dresses that could be masculine, and women's underwear will never be worn by men (men who aren't perverts, at least).

A lot of women who wear "masculine" clothing wear feminine versions of masculine clothing. Until masculine versions of feminine clothing are available, I can't see that men will wear it.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'll stick to my Scottish roots and don a kilt methinks.
Original post by Sabrine Crystal

Gendered clothing exists because clothing is designed to accentuate people's features, and men and women seek to accentuate different features.
Idk what'll be commonplace, and I'm not too interested in it myself, but I don't see a reason to restrict any clothing by gender. "Masculine" and "feminine" are just social constructs anyway.

By the way, all of the non-conforming straight guys I know have girlfriends, so the attractiveness argument doesn't always hold up.
Original post by Theloniouss
Gendered clothing exists because clothing is designed to accentuate people's features, and men and women seek to accentuate different features.

This. The fact that gender may or may not be a social construct doesn't deny biological reality. Women, in general, tend to be shorter than men, with a larger difference between waist and hip width. There is a reason most smart female dress codes include heels - I don't think it's social.

However it is quite common for women to buy men's clothing for comfort purposes.
Original post by mypwnsupport
Idk what'll be commonplace, and I'm not too interested in it myself, but I don't see a reason to restrict any clothing by gender. "Masculine" and "feminine" are just social constructs anyway.

theres always one of you lot on these threads :lol:
Original post by rockrunride
This. The fact that gender may or may not be a social construct doesn't deny biological reality. Women, in general, tend to be shorter than men, with a larger difference between waist and hip width. There is a reason most smart female dress codes include heels - I don't think it's social.

However it is quite common for women to buy men's clothing for comfort purposes.

Some women (politicians, businesswomen) also wear masculine clothing like suits because it makes them look more masculine and therefore more powerful and serious.
Guys already wear all all this stuff now
Original post by EU Yakov
theres always one of you lot on these threads :lol:

What's "you lot"?
handbags would be a useful item for guys and make up as well! other than that I don't think colours, fabric or patterns should be gendered but I would personally be somewhat uncomfortable seeing a guy wearing form-fitting tights or leggings but other clothing are perfectly fine
I think "men's" clothing is already unisex. If you go into the men's section in a department store everything there is already being worn by women in a similar style or can be worn by women without the same stigma of men wearing women's clothing. It certainly hasn't gone unnoticed by me over recent times how I've got up, got dressed in hoodie, t shirt, jeans and DM boots only to go downstairs and find my gf wearing the same thing, often matching colours as well! It's only a matter of time before women's clothing will be gender neutralised as well, my guess within 20 years.

Quick Reply

Latest