The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2013

Anyone thinking of doing chemistry and applying next year?
Put down your grades and the unis you are thinking of.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
em grades : CDD( retaking the D's to get them up to atleast B's). grades im aiming for in the summer exams are ABC / BBB. hoping to apply to nottingham trent, reading, , huddersfield and a few others (not sure yet)
Reply 2
Original post by Fuzzy12345
I might be possibly, kind of a toss up between Chemistry, Physics and Engineering...

GCSEs: 8A*s, 5.5As
IB - HL: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Geography. SL: English, Spanish ab initio
Thinking of: Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Edinburgh, Warwick

Cambridge don't do chemistry or phys, but they do Natural sciences
Reply 3
Chemistry Mchem/Msci
Unis: York, UEA, Sheffield, Bath, Bristol, Newcastle, Leeds, Cardiff and Nottingham.
GCSEs: 3A, 5.5B, 2C+C in FSMQ
AS: AAA (FMath, Chemistry+Biology)
Got 1 week work experience sorted, further reading, 1 week chemistry summer school and doing EPQ in physical chemistry.
Original post by cuckoo99
em grades : CDD( retaking the D's to get them up to atleast B's). grades im aiming for in the summer exams are ABC / BBB. hoping to apply to nottingham trent, reading, , huddersfield and a few others (not sure yet)

If you get even BBB, you could certainly look at Sheffield and York. Somehow got an interview from both when my AS's were BBCD.
Reply 5
Original post by .snowflake.
If you get even BBB, you could certainly look at Sheffield and York. Somehow got an interview from both when my AS's were BBCD.

oh really ? are you in year 13 then or are you already at uni? i havent looked at sheffield and i think york is a bit too far away :/ im also thinking of sussex but to do biochemistry instead but not sure yet. what are ya predicted for your A2's?( if you're in year 13)
Original post by cuckoo99
oh really ? are you in year 13 then or are you already at uni? i havent looked at sheffield and i think york is a bit too far away :/ im also thinking of sussex but to do biochemistry instead but not sure yet. what are ya predicted for your A2's?( if you're in year 13)

Year 13. Predicted AAB, need ABB for Sheffield. If you're applying for biochemistry AND chemistry in the same cycle, think about how you'd get both into your personal statement.
Reply 7
Year 13. Predicted AAB, need ABB for Sheffield. If you're applying for biochemistry AND chemistry in the same cycle, think about how you'd get both into your personal statement.

ah nice :smile: oh i wasn't planning on applying for both i was considering either going for the chemistry route or the biochemistry route, depends on how well my biology exams go :smile: if they go better than chemistry then i will consider biochem :smile:
Original post by Luppy021
Chemistry Mchem/Msci
Unis: York, UEA, Sheffield, Bath, Bristol, Newcastle, Leeds, Cardiff and Nottingham.
GCSEs: 3A, 5.5B, 2C+C in FSMQ
AS: AAA (FMath, Chemistry+Biology)
Got 1 week work experience sorted, further reading, 1 week chemistry summer school and doing EPQ in physical chemistry.

Hey, where'd you find work experience from?
Reply 9
Original post by InadequateJusticex

Pharmacy lab (medicinal based chemistry using pharmaceutical maths)
Original post by InadequateJusticex

It's not the end of the world if you haven't got w/e for Chemistry.
Pharmacy lab (medicinal based chemistry using pharmaceutical maths)

Oh OK, thanks :smile:

It's not the end of the world if you haven't got w/e for Chemistry.

Yes, I'm aware. But I want one anyway because I don't have a lot of extracurricular activities.
AS grades: AAAA
predicted grades: A*A*A
potential unis: edinburgh, bristol, oxford(maybe), nottingham, manchester
got a week w/e at bath uni in the labs there, done an open uni course as well.
any other suggestions for work experience ideas?
so hard to find w/e for chem!!
Reply 13
Original post by williams1994

How come your applying for 2013 entry, can't really suggest anything for work experience the only way I was able to get some was through knowing people...
How come your applying for 2013 entry, can't really suggest anything for work experience the only way I was able to get some was through knowing people...

having a gap year next year so applying this september.
yeah it seems like that is the only way to find any!

anyone else got any work experience ideas?
Reply 15
Nuffield science bursary

I know its difficult. I only got mine by knowing people. Having just the week may well be enough, considering the fact it is so hard to get.
Reply 17
My dream course is Chemistry involving some sort of French :smile:
Potential unis: Durham (I wish!), Manchester, Edinburgh, Imperial college & Birmingham
Not sure about AS level grades until results day though
having a gap year next year so applying this september.
yeah it seems like that is the only way to find any!

anyone else got any work experience ideas?

Chemistry research groups at local universities. Works best if you have a russell group uni relatively close.
Looking to study Natural Sciences with a pathway in Biology and Chemistry.

GCSE's: 7 A*, 3A's
AS levels (likely predictions): AAAAA-AAABB (includes critical thinking as a potential B
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending