The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Waiting for uni of Leeds Decision for Interdisciplinary Science Foundation Year

How do Leeds select the candidates for the Foundation years and how long does it take as I sent off my application to 3 courses at university at Leeds on the 7th of November 2013 and I'm still waiting for a response.

The 3 courses are relatively similar, they are Food Science, Food Science and Nutrition (both are back-up choices with the foundation year as the course I want to get onto) and the Foundation year stated in the title (this would be my firm with the intention to go onto Food Process Engineering on completion).

I am starting to panic slightly as Sheffield Hallam replied back to me very quickly with an unconditional offer which is great as this foundation year will allow me to go onto their new Food Engineering degree. The only problem is that I only have the option of staying home whilst attending university so Leeds has to give me an offer! This is why I'm anticipating my apply from you.

Please can you shed some light on how long I'll be waiting for a response! Thanks in advance!
Hi

Just to let you know I've contacted both the ISF and Food Science admissions teams - so I'll be able to get back to you with a specific response.

Amanda
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Hi,

So the Interdisciplinary Science Foundation year - you need to meet the academic criteria as per our website (http://www.llc.leeds.ac.uk/courses/interdisciplinary-science-foundation) and priority is given to applicants who meet at least two of our widening participation criteria as listed on our website. We don’t consider applications from applicants who are already studying the relevant Science A Levels to gain direct access on to their chosen degree but who don’t have high enough grades in this instance we recommend re-sitting A Levels and reapplying for direct access the following year.

To check the status of your application, if you can email the team directly ([email protected]) with your name and UCAS ID and they'll be able to let you know what stage your application is at.

I hope that helps!

Amanda
Reply 3
Thanks a lot Amanda!

How will they know whether I meet the criteria for widening participation? As they didn't require this information for the UCAS application.
Hi,

The Widening Participation criteria are:

Postcode -your permanent address is in a neighbourhood with low progression to higher education

School - you attended a school which achieved less than the national average of 5 A*-C passes at GCSE

Care - you grew up in public care

Family in education - you will be the first member of your immediate family (excluding older brothers or sisters or your own children) to achieve a degree

Disrupted studies - your studies have been adversely affected by circumstances in your personal, social or domestic life.

Income - the residual income of your household is less than £25,000

We get information on the first four (postcode, school, care and family education) from your UCAS Form (for Care and Family Education you can choose "prefer not to answer"). If you meet one of these four, the ISF team will then send you an additional form which covers all six areas, so we can get a fuller picture of your circumstances.

I hope that helps,

Amanda
Reply 5
Thankyou, you've helped loads!
Reply 6
Original post by University of Leeds
Hi,

So the Interdisciplinary Science Foundation year - you need to meet the academic criteria as per our website (http://www.llc.leeds.ac.uk/courses/interdisciplinary-science-foundation) and priority is given to applicants who meet at least two of our widening participation criteria as listed on our website. We don’t consider applications from applicants who are already studying the relevant Science A Levels to gain direct access on to their chosen degree but who don’t have high enough grades in this instance we recommend re-sitting A Levels and reapplying for direct access the following year.

To check the status of your application, if you can email the team directly ([email protected]) with your name and UCAS ID and they'll be able to let you know what stage your application is at.

I hope that helps!

Amanda

I don’t really understand what this means sorry, I want to do dentistry and applying for interdisciplinary science and study biology, chemistry and psychology. I have matched at least 2 of the criteria would I be taken into consideration my predicted grades are CCC ?
Original post by University of Leeds
Hi,

I hope that helps!

Amanda

Do you have any chance of getting in without meeting any of The Widening Participation criteria or is there a 0% chance?
Hi is anyone studying or studied this is course ?
Reply 9
Original post by Gk_sharm101
Hi is anyone studying or studied this is course ?

Hi bit late but do you do this course now? Would love to know how the course is and what the interview is like xx
Original post by berrybeom

Hi bit late but do you do this course now? Would love to know how the course is and what the interview is like xx

did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest