The Student Room Group

Law VS Engineering Vs Economics

Hi, im in year 11 and thinking about future jobs as i have recently picked my A levels and they were History,Maths,Economics,Physics. I picked these without realising what i wanted to do at university. I have an option to change them if i must. Im asking in terms of the future, what is the more useful degree to have for the future and what degree will give me the most options.

Im interested in all three careers and what like your opinion on the negatives and postives of Law,Engineering and Economics.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
A lot of unis will do a combo of both law and economics/business if you want to do both. Law's pretty hard to break into but the money (and corresponding hours) can be insane. Ditto any finance job in the City

Oxford do EEM if you want to combine Engineering with Economics, which given the degree would make you one of the most employable graduates in the country but not sure if anywhere else does something similar.

In terms of options obviously you can't become an engineer with a law or economics degree but you can become a lawyer (mainly patent) or work in finance with an engineering degree. In terms of studying law remember 50% of lawyers don't have a law degree (quite a lot have English/History/Politics degrees but pretty much every discipline is represented).

Best advice? Concentrate on your GCSEs; then see what you enjoy at A level and worry about what to do your degree in this time next year; once you've decided which degree you'll enjoy the most and are starting your second year at uni start worrying about what job you'll do.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Well you have selected excellent A-Levels for all those career paths except for perhaps Further Maths. I wish I had done so :frown:

My sister is a lawyer and she drafts contracts blah blah you need to decided whether you are happy with intense reading and apply existing ideas to similar or slightly varying situations. Then Law is for you.

I don't know much about Engineering but I can say it is less competitive on the whole in comparison to the other subjects at University, this should not influence you decision very much at all.

Economics is what I selected and its is very mathematical perhaps similar to Engineering, more so if you select appropriate modules. Law in comparison has little Mathematics I believe (Accounting that's it).

Ultimately, you should not decide now because it is premature. I thought I wanted to do Computer Science for sure! I took Computing, IT, Maths and Economics. I started loving Economics. I am so happy I went for Economics at University now. :biggrin: Physics is very related to Computer Game Programming so if you started liking Physics look down the Engineering route. If you love History and essay writing in excellent prose then Law is going to take your fancy. Good luck, work hard and make the right choices!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by chelseafan
Hi, im in year 11 and thinking about future jobs as i have recently picked my A levels and they were History,Maths,Economics,Physics. I picked these without realising what i wanted to do at university. I have an option to change them if i must. Im asking in terms of the future, what is the more useful degree to have for the future and what degree will give me the most options.

Im interested in all three careers and what like your opinion on the negatives and postives of Law,Engineering and Economics.

Economics is one of those few degrees that is very quantitative, using alot of statistics and modelling, and is very qualitative, in that you write alot of essays. I think economics would open up most general jobs, but having said that, you can't be an engineer without a degree in engineering.

I guess it boils down to whether you think you'll go down the more sciencey route? There's no doubt you could get into law with an economics degree, might be tricker with an engineering one. If banking or consultancy is what you had in mind, I think you'd be fine with any of them, but better off with economics/engineering.
Reply 5
Original post by hockeyjoe
Economics is one of those few degrees that is very quantitative, using alot of statistics and modelling, and is very qualitative, in that you write alot of essays. I think economics would open up most general jobs, but having said that, you can't be an engineer without a degree in engineering.

I guess it boils down to whether you think you'll go down the more sciencey route? There's no doubt you could get into law with an economics degree, might be tricker with an engineering one. If banking or consultancy is what you had in mind, I think you'd be fine with any of them, but better off with economics/engineering.

This is very true. However, I think you should find out what you enjoy first before making any career decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending