The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography Unit 1 and 2 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
ur entitled to your opinion
Reply 181
yes I am, and for one I don't trust a random person in the slightest.
Reply 182
I am in serious trouble for the exam tomorrow. I've been trying hard to revise but I don't know what to revise.

What are the main key areas I need to revise also how and what do I need to know for my case studies? Should I just focus on the 15mark questions to try and get the most marks I can?

I'm in this trouble in the first place due to my teacher being absolutely terrible and she has missed around a month's worth of lessons.

:confused:
Reply 183
Original post by MP2011
I am in serious trouble for the exam tomorrow. I've been trying hard to revise but I don't know what to revise.

What are the main key areas I need to revise also how and what do I need to know for my case studies? Should I just focus on the 15mark questions to try and get the most marks I can?

I'm in this trouble in the first place due to my teacher being absolutely terrible and she has missed around a month's worth of lessons.

:confused:

I only started learning today. Learn the case studies. They represent 50% of the paper and if you get full marks in the case studies you only need 10 other marks for an A if the grade boundaries are like jan, or 60 marks is enough if the exam is like 2009
China One Child Policy; WHAT ARE THE BEST THINGS TO REMEMBER!?

can someone give me 5 or so points? this is the one case study I am struggling with..
Reply 185
Original post by Axion
I only started learning today. Learn the case studies. They represent 50% of the paper and if you get full marks in the case studies you only need 10 other marks for an A if the grade boundaries are like jan, or 60 marks is enough if the exam is like 2009

Thanks, I'm aiming for a B in this exam.

What should I learn on each of the case studies?
Bloody hell...geography would be SOOOOOOO easy if I'd just started revising earlier! *Sigh* Learnt pretty much all the case studies now, the coastal ones are a bit of a pain...how in depth does our knowledge have to be? And how many (and which) case studies are ppl doing for coasts?
Original post by A Wise Ninja

can someone give me 5 or so points? this is the one case study I am struggling with..

Mao thought population served as resource, so encouraged a growing population.

This landed China in hot waters, due to overpopulation and threat of a Malthusian population crash.

1 Child Policy came into effect in 1979.

Fines imposed for those who have more than 1 child. Granny police enforced, to look out for families trying to have two children. And family planning boards were set up. Forced abortions were also around for a while, but soon abolished.

However, the policy has been relaxed a bit since the 90s due to Western influence.

Accommodations made for minorities and rural citizens, as to "preserve" minorities and enable rural families to sustain their farming livelihoods with a son to carry out the manual labour (if their first child is a daughter).

Has lead to rise in gender imbalance and infanticide (Chinese families prefer boys, and they're more useful on farms). Lead to little emperor syndrome where the only child lives a cosseted and spoilt life. In future, will cause ageing population - unsustainable. Fertility rate down from 3 (in 1977) to 1.6 (now).
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Mao thought population served as resource, so encouraged a growing population.

This landed China in hot waters, due to overpopulation and threat of a Malthusian population crash.

1 Child Policy came into effect in 1979.

Fines imposed for those who have more than 1 child. Granny police enforced, to look out for families trying to have two children. And family planning boards were set up. Forced abortions were also around for a while, but soon abolished.

However, the policy has been relaxed a bit since the 90s due to Western influence.

Accommodations made for minorities and rural citizens, as to "preserve" minorities and enable rural families to sustain their farming livelihoods with a son to carry out the manual labour (if their first child is a daughter).

Has lead to rise in gender imbalance and infanticide (Chinese families prefer boys, and they're more useful on farms). Lead to little emperor syndrome where the only child lives a cosseted and spoilt life. In future, will cause ageing population - unsustainable. Fertility rate down from 3 (in 1977) to 1.6 (now).

Thank you very much! :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 189

Sorry Im not doing that case study so can't help
I now have China One Child Policy and Kerala, India as two case studies for population- with a little to mention about Singapore too..
Got stats in the morning, so I don't have much time for last minute prep either..
Reply 192
Got stats in the morning, so I don't have much time for last minute prep either..

Me too. Fun times.
Original post by Axion
Me too. Fun times.

Apologies for deviating (pardon the pun) away from the topic, but with hypothesis testing do we have to use the the probability tables in our formula books, or can we just use nCr Pr Qn-r?
Reply 194
Do I need to know two case studies for population control? I already have the One Child Policy but I wasn't going to really revise the Romanian pro-natal policy? Do I need it?
Reply 195
Original post by niamh067
Do I need to know two case studies for population control? I already have the One Child Policy but I wasn't going to really revise the Romanian pro-natal policy? Do I need it?

Yep, we need both. Most likely to get the pro-natal as they've asked for anti-natal in the past. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear, I know how it feels haha! :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Reply 196
Apologies for deviating (pardon the pun) away from the topic, but with hypothesis testing do we have to use the the probability tables in our formula books, or can we just use nCr Pr Qn-r?

either
Original post by roro_tu
Yep, we need both. Most likely to get the pro-natal as they've asked for anti-natal in the past. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear, I know how it feels haha! :s-smilie:

Surely a 15 marker wouldn't be just about a pro-natal, it'd be comparing both?
Reply 198
Surely a 15 marker wouldn't be just about a pro-natal, it'd be comparing both?

Yeh, perhaps. Or the level of success?

Reply 199
Can someone explain the hjulstorm curve in a REALLY simple way please, I really don't get it , especially the deposition and transport bits

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending