The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography Unit 1 and 2 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axion
I did it and it seemed ok :s-smilie: :confused:

I am starting proper revision for geography tomorrow and ending it 20 mins before the exam :biggrin:

I know but I think that is when the new spec started and people couldn't refer back to past papers for practice :P

I did this exam last year :P Good luck (:
Reply 121
Original post by VanessaXD
I know but I think that is when the new spec started and people couldn't refer back to past papers for practice :P

I did this exam last year :P Good luck (:

Thanks :smile: you too, I havent done any past papers and don't plan to , just learn my notes and case studies :P
Reply 122
does any body have a case study for how population change can affect the character of an urban area? :h:
Reply 123
Original post by blade63
Any 15 Marker predictions?

My teacher seems pretty sure hard/soft engineering for coasts will come up, so fingers crossed because I know that well :P
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
That's so true. I get the same problem, no one takes it seriously at my school...but tbf, it's not a hard subject...there's a lot to learn, but I really wouldn't call it a hard subject - definitely not a doss. Kinda wish I'd chosen something like English Lit. instead now :frown:

Geography is a pathway subject for this reason, testing many of the skills you'd have to learn in English/History/etc as well as ones from the likes of Maths/Science when it comes to data analysis.

There's much less to learn compared to English Lit though, and the exam is easier.
Compared to my other AS levels (maths, computing and business) geography syllabus seems big enough for AS AND A2!

so much to revise, I hate cramming haha
Original post by mikeorchard
GEOG2 is a skills paper, half skills based questions on one of the two core topics (Jan 2012 was population) and half questions about your fieldwork (I'm assuming you've done field work?).

You need to know everything on page 16 of the specification under the skills checklist and details of your fieldwork, such as trends, methods, sampling techniques used, spearman's rank and so on.

Sorry I meant I was doing the unit 1 paper!
Original post by lauraaaaa
Sorry I meant I was doing the unit 1 paper!

Haha, unlucky for you. GEOG1 is everything, basically. Question 1 and 5 are compulsory on Rivers and Population. Then you pick one extra question for each side depending on what you've covered. For example, I am doing the Cold Environments and Energy Issues questions. You need to know the case studies for each of these questions. They all follow the same pattern though, which funnily enough starts with a question on pattern... or distribution or a graph, and progress to a 15 mark mini essay.

Hope this helps.
Original post by A Wise Ninja
Compared to my other AS levels (maths, computing and business) geography syllabus seems big enough for AS AND A2!

so much to revise, I hate cramming haha

Compared to maths EVERYTHING has a lot of cramming lol. in 20 bullet points of 1-3 sentences i could tell you EVERYTHING to learn for C1 and C2 :P
around 15 bullet points for C3 :L
I have been revising for about a week now and I feel that I don't have the mental capacity to remember everything and be able to write it all down in 2 hours!
I am doing:
Rivers
Deserts
Population
Health...
Does anyone have any suggestions for what specifically to revise for?
Reply 130
Original post by Mandamange
I have been revising for about a week now and I feel that I don't have the mental capacity to remember everything and be able to write it all down in 2 hours!
I am doing:
Rivers
Deserts
Population
Health...
Does anyone have any suggestions for what specifically to revise for?

A week?! I've got two days to revise! Focus on the case studies, that's what gains you the most marks :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Reply 131
Original post by Mathew123
Does anyone know what we actually need to know for the population areas case study ie, the inner city area, suburbs etc etc. All i can see is transport and dependancy ratios. It seems like a hell of a lot of learning just for something that may not even come up! :frown:

for the pop case studies you need two contrasting areas for example inner city vs. suburbs. you need to know how their characteristics differ, things like types of housing, age structure, ethnicity, employment, wealth and the provision of services. you need to mention case studies and figures to back your points. ive done Preston, North west england and ive compared its inner city area (FISHWICK) and Rural area (longton). hope that helped
Reply 132
Does anyone know what case studies to put for Health? confused.com :frown:
Original post by blade63
Any 15 Marker predictions?

My teachers seem to think they'll be a 15 marker on salt marshes for coasts. I don't see how though - there's not really much you can write about it.
Reply 134
i have literally revised population for 2 hours today and that is it!!!
do you think I can still get an A?? honestly?

I think ive revised rivers, cold environments and food supply well
Original post by liabhimani
I'm doing Rivers, glaciation (it's IMPOSSIBLE), Population and Health.. yeah can someone explain rejuvination of rivers please?! The population questions are structured so confusing-ly! Like they find way to ask the same question with weird wording :frown: Apparently AQA are quite generous about the MS though? like 20/21 out of 30 for each topic is around an A?

Rejuvination is basically when the sea level drops rapid or the land rises, so the river has to change quickly to try and be at its base level again, so a water fall is the PERF. way of doing that! I'm doing all the same topics as you and Cold Envirionments is horrribleeeeeeeee. Its so confusing and there is so so much to do! My teacher said its about 18/30 in all of them (on average) to get an A? I'm really hoping to get about 24 or 25 outta 30 because I want to get an A* next year to continue it at university!
Reply 136
on the 15 marker questions, can you write your points in bullet form or does it have to be essay writing?
Original post by emah123
i have literally revised population for 2 hours today and that is it!!!
do you think I can still get an A?? honestly?

I think ive revised rivers, cold environments and food supply well

I looked at the AQA UMS converter, and you can still get full UMS (140) even if youre raw marks go down to around 85/120, so there is hope for us all! :biggrin:
Reply 138
Original post by Naznaz
Does anyone know what case studies to put for Health? confused.com :frown:

For health issues case studies I just have some stuff on regional variation of health problems and what influences it, like education and age structure.. for example in an ageing population, hip replacements would be higher than national average

And then some stufffffs on like transnational corporations like Glaxosmithkline or British American Tabacco?

idkidk
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 139
also any predictions for the 15 marker for population?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending