The Student Room Group

IB procrastination thread...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hello IB students! :smile:

I feel so unprepared! :frown: especially in case of history hl :frown: heeeelp!
Original post by aeyurttaser13
totally agreed! i always spend extra time on probability and statistics + vectors.. i find calculus easier than those two :s-smilie:

yeah me too :P check out youtube videos by this guy, they helped me a bit :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ-t0UVQ_OQ
Reply 62
Anyone else paranoid about English (A1 HL) Paper 1??? 2 days!! I need 34 points for Edinburgh. English HL people, which one are you more comfortable with- prose or poetry?

Oh, and how hard is it to score well on Paper 2, any idea?
Original post by KeelyEverywhere
yeah me too :P check out youtube videos by this guy, they helped me a bit :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ-t0UVQ_OQ

thx a lot i was able to study probability and statistics and understand it well yesterday, but the guy helped a lot in spoonfeeding me vectors :P thx again :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by saachi
Anyone else paranoid about English (A1 HL) Paper 1??? 2 days!! I need 34 points for Edinburgh. English HL people, which one are you more comfortable with- prose or poetry?

Paper 2 scores the highest. :smile:
Im also in Eng HL A1, and im more worried for Paper 2. Paper 1 is basically an IOC but on paper. :smile:
Original post by saachi

I'm worried about english a little, mainly because I haven't written a single practice essay and one of my friends is doing about 5 a day! But I think with english, seeing as you've probably written thousands of essays over the years, it's just a matter of carrying on and writing well in the exam.
Personally, I always go for the poetry, just because I write line by line analysis and it's far easier to work through poetry in this way. I also think it's easier to find technical things to talk about in poetry.
I don't really know grade boundaries and such for paper 2, but the trick seems to be just thinking as creatively as you can within the question, and making sure you can justify everything you suggest.
AHHHHHHHH NERVOUS!!! (Getting the bad grammar and spelling out of my system early I hope.)
Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by JessBarkan
Paper 2 scores the highest. :smile:
Im also in Eng HL A1, and im more worried for Paper 2. Paper 1 is basically an IOC but on paper. :smile:

Nothing is scarier than an IOC, though :tongue: Yeah, even though Paper 2 is supposed to score higher, I'm more worried about it too. I've only done 2 Paper 2 essays. Is it true that you lose out on marks if you choose a general question? Because I'm doing drama, and our teacher hinted to us that it would be best to do one of the drama questions.

Original post by Tetris-Blocks-For-Brains
I'm worried about english a little, mainly because I haven't written a single practice essay and one of my friends is doing about 5 a day! But I think with english, seeing as you've probably written thousands of essays over the years, it's just a matter of carrying on and writing well in the exam.
Personally, I always go for the poetry, just because I write line by line analysis and it's far easier to work through poetry in this way. I also think it's easier to find technical things to talk about in poetry.
I don't really know grade boundaries and such for paper 2, but the trick seems to be just thinking as creatively as you can within the question, and making sure you can justify everything you suggest.
AHHHHHHHH NERVOUS!!! (Getting the bad grammar and spelling out of my system early I hope.)
Good luck everyone! :smile:

I've only written 1 practice essay! I've analysed/ planned essays on a few other unseens without actually writing the essay, but still. I used to think that too, poetry seems a little less daunting because of it's (usually) clear structure. But I don't know, I'll see what the questions are. It depends on whichever one interests me the most. I tried a line by line analysis once, complete disaster! I'm much more comfortable with the structure our teacher taught us in the beginning- thesis, intro, content, mood/atmosphere/tone, structure/movement, imagery, and conclusion.

Only thing is I get very impatient with content and structure because the main part of the essay is supposed to be imagery, and I sort of rush it... Nervous doesn't even come close to describing how stressed out I am :frown:

Can I ask you how much time you spend planning and reading? Our teacher recommends half an hour, but that's crazy! I read for about 10 mins, analyse mentally, and then plunge into it. I usually manage about 6 sides. Is that OK? Sorry, as you can probably tell I'm practically shivering with anxiety!
AAAAHHH who made this schedule?? I have exams from 9 in the morning til 5 in the afternoon on May 17th with only 1 hour break!! :frown:
Original post by saachi
Nothing is scarier than an IOC, though :tongue: Yeah, even though Paper 2 is supposed to score higher, I'm more worried about it too. I've only done 2 Paper 2 essays. Is it true that you lose out on marks if you choose a general question? Because I'm doing drama, and our teacher hinted to us that it would be best to do one of the drama questions.

I've only written 1 practice essay! I've analysed/ planned essays on a few other unseens without actually writing the essay, but still. I used to think that too, poetry seems a little less daunting because of it's (usually) clear structure. But I don't know, I'll see what the questions are. It depends on whichever one interests me the most. I tried a line by line analysis once, complete disaster! I'm much more comfortable with the structure our teacher taught us in the beginning- thesis, intro, content, mood/atmosphere/tone, structure/movement, imagery, and conclusion.

Only thing is I get very impatient with content and structure because the main part of the essay is supposed to be imagery, and I sort of rush it... Nervous doesn't even come close to describing how stressed out I am :frown:

Can I ask you how much time you spend planning and reading? Our teacher recommends half an hour, but that's crazy! I read for about 10 mins, analyse mentally, and then plunge into it. I usually manage about 6 sides. Is that OK? Sorry, as you can probably tell I'm practically shivering with anxiety!

It's ok. I'm almost scared by how calm I am right now. And how little preparation I've done for english...

We never even got taught a structure. Our teachers spend most of our lessons reading to us, so the line by line approach just kinda happened for me. 30 minutes does seem a lot of time for reading and planning, but then I imagine you'd need more for a more structured answer. I usually spend around 20 minutes, annotating the poem with everything I'm likely to say about it, and then at the side make a little list of key ideas to track through it. As I write the essay, if I think of anything I can put into the conclusion, that goes on the poem as well. I'm a fairly slow writer, so I usually do about 4 sides a go. Length doesn't seem that important though. One of my classmates usually writes twice as much as the rest of us and he's far from the top of the class.

I don't know what humanity you do, but I'm at an utter loss as to how to study for psychology. I've made notes. Lots of notes. But how do I make them stick? Psychology's my dissaster subject. Hopefully I can make up for it elsewhere...
Original post by Annie-Bananie
AAAAHHH who made this schedule?? I have exams from 9 in the morning til 5 in the afternoon on May 17th with only 1 hour break!! :frown:

:redface: damn that's a very tight schedule.. the worst it gets for me is a 2 hour break between the two exams :tongue: and im glad the timings r at 7:30 and 12:00 so i have time after the afternoon exam to study for the next day :smile:
:redface: damn that's a very tight schedule.. the worst it gets for me is a 2 hour break between the two exams :tongue: and im glad the timings r at 7:30 and 12:00 so i have time after the afternoon exam to study for the next day :smile:

you're really lucky! :smile: an the worst thing is that on that day I have two Spanish papers , less than an hour break , and two Biology HL papers which are terribly hard for me :frown:

I wish everyone best of luck!!
Reply 71
*purely nostalgic post*
Original post by Annie-Bananie
you're really lucky! :smile: an the worst thing is that on that day I have two Spanish papers , less than an hour break , and two Biology HL papers which are terribly hard for me :frown:

I wish everyone best of luck!!

same i take bio hl too and it is so much info that u need a rest before it :redface: glad i dont take spanish haha. gd luck in ur exams :wink:
Original post by dbmag9
*purely nostalgic post*

wooow you got 45 points?? wooooow you must be so proud and happy! always wanted to meet someone who managed to get 45 points haha :biggrin:
Had my first two exams this morning... wasn't very good :/
Original post by XxelliexX
Had my first two exams this morning... wasn't very good :/

damn.. sry to hear that :/ btw what is school based syllabus?
damn.. sry to hear that :/ btw what is school based syllabus?

I'm not entirely sure, lol, I think it's the name for exams that the schools themselves make up rather than the IBO? So this morning I did classics and because there's only 17 people that take IB classics worldwide (lol!) one of the schools that does classics wrote the exam... I think that's what it means anyway :/ seems a bit unfair as I'm sure that the school that wrote the exam could've been sneaky and told their students what was going to come up!
Reply 77
Original post by Tetris-Blocks-For-Brains

I don't know what humanity you do, but I'm at an utter loss as to how to study for psychology. I've made notes. Lots of notes. But how do I make them stick? Psychology's my dissaster subject. Hopefully I can make up for it elsewhere...

Hey, I know how you feel, it's a lot of content. For paper 1 just make sure you know the:
Aim
Method
Results
And conclusion/significance
of at least 3-4 studies in each level of analysis (bloa,cloa,scloa)
and you'll be able to tackle pretty much any question they throw at you.
I know in my class we covered like a hundred diff studies, but its important to choose a few and know them well.
Depth > Breadth
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by XxelliexX
I'm not entirely sure, lol, I think it's the name for exams that the schools themselves make up rather than the IBO? So this morning I did classics and because there's only 17 people that take IB classics worldwide (lol!) one of the schools that does classics wrote the exam... I think that's what it means anyway :/ seems a bit unfair as I'm sure that the school that wrote the exam could've been sneaky and told their students what was going to come up!

ohh hahaha true schools can make their students cheat :tongue:
Reply 79
Oh my God I am so stressed out right now... I've studied loads for Psychology, but I'm at the point where I feel like I don't know anything at all. Please says that's normal and some of you are feeling the same way?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending