The Student Room Group

Can't deal with IB and am now worried will fail a subject

At the start of IB I was really ambitious and got a 36 in November exams in my first year. I had some problems so moved school and then badly flopped may exams leading to terrible predicted marks, this meant I could not apply to Uni this year. I have finals in May 2024 and they are my last chance but IB is making my mental health terrible. I used to be quite positive but I can't stop procrastinating, getting randomly angry or upset and panicking and it's got to the point where I've ended up neglecting the subjects I find hard. A lot of the curriculum was muddled/switched when I changed 6th form and I became really behind on economics, I barely understand a single thing my teacher says in class and when it comes to homework or out of class revision I don't even know where to start. I've given up hope and am worried about what to do next because I won't get a uni that I want anymore and I'm not sure how to get a good job that'll pay well without a degree. I've always hated school but this might be the worst time I've ever had. Any suggestions on what I could do?
Original post by Alsandair
At the start of IB I was really ambitious and got a 36 in November exams in my first year. I had some problems so moved school and then badly flopped may exams leading to terrible predicted marks, this meant I could not apply to Uni this year. I have finals in May 2024 and they are my last chance but IB is making my mental health terrible. I used to be quite positive but I can't stop procrastinating, getting randomly angry or upset and panicking and it's got to the point where I've ended up neglecting the subjects I find hard. A lot of the curriculum was muddled/switched when I changed 6th form and I became really behind on economics, I barely understand a single thing my teacher says in class and when it comes to homework or out of class revision I don't even know where to start. I've given up hope and am worried about what to do next because I won't get a uni that I want anymore and I'm not sure how to get a good job that'll pay well without a degree. I've always hated school but this might be the worst time I've ever had. Any suggestions on what I could do?

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. I have a classmate in a similar situation but with math. As far as I know she talked to the school administration and she will be passing the subjects she is confident in in May 2024 and math in May 2025. Basically, she's just taking a gap year (which some unis might even like to see in your personal statement) to study the material again with a tutor and pass it in a year. Regarding your feelings, you might consider talking to your school counselor or therapist about it. I attend therapy in order to deal with the anxiety before the exams, because I feel like i'll fail even though my grades are ok and it has helped me to be a bit more confident. IB sucks, but don't let it ruin you!
Reply 2
The IB is an arduous journey. ngl. Have a look at universities that offer a integrated foundation year. This will still allow you to start university Sep'24 but you will begin the year fulfilling the core subjects that will qualify you for the course that you want. IMO, this is a more palatable route when one is struggling with the IB at this stage. You will need to seek your parents' support, and do your own research as to which foundation course you like and by which university. Completing the IB would be a nice-to-have, but it is also not the ONLY route to university.
Reply 3
Original post by BubblesBB
The IB is an arduous journey. ngl. Have a look at universities that offer a integrated foundation year. This will still allow you to start university Sep'24 but you will begin the year fulfilling the core subjects that will qualify you for the course that you want. IMO, this is a more palatable route when one is struggling with the IB at this stage. You will need to seek your parents' support, and do your own research as to which foundation course you like and by which university. Completing the IB would be a nice-to-have, but it is also not the ONLY route to university.

thanks for letting me know about that I had a look into uni routes and foundation years and they seem like a great idea. My careers advisor also said I could take an internship for a year to boost my chances of getting the course I want, hopefully I'm going to go to work at BMW for a year and then apply to uni. Luckily for me internship applications are later and I'm currently doing mocks so may be able to boost predicteds a bit for that!
Reply 4
Original post by idkwhatthenameis
I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. I have a classmate in a similar situation but with math. As far as I know she talked to the school administration and she will be passing the subjects she is confident in in May 2024 and math in May 2025. Basically, she's just taking a gap year (which some unis might even like to see in your personal statement) to study the material again with a tutor and pass it in a year. Regarding your feelings, you might consider talking to your school counselor or therapist about it. I attend therapy in order to deal with the anxiety before the exams, because I feel like i'll fail even though my grades are ok and it has helped me to be a bit more confident. IB sucks, but don't let it ruin you!

Thanks for the reply! I've spoken with my careers teacher and she said a gap year and then later application would be a good idea too. good luck with your IB I'm sure you'll smash it, it does suck but at least the last couple of month before may won't include any IAs to worry about. IG it'll just be a lot of hard revision from here on out, starting to feel better because although my econ teacher sucks I've found every resource I need online and saved it to a revision file. Let's hope we both do great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending