The Student Room Group

Circle gradient question???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GreenLantern1
You should know that if gradient A is perpendicular to gradient B, then gradient B works out with that coreelating thing a s a product to -1.

Original post by CharlieBoardman
Ah, I messed up on the equation of the tangent at B! -.- I was 0.75 out on the intercept. I rushed through it, which altered my results. Yes, 28.403333... Is correct :smile:

Original post by TenOfThem
Because they meet at a right angle

And that is the rule for perpendicular gradients

How did you guys work out the last part bii) ??? :smile:
Thanks
Original post by blueray
Thanks

Once you know the gradient of the tangent at B, you can figure out at which point the line intercepts the x-axis. From this figure out length BC with a bit of Pythagoras. The rest I think you already know :smile: let me know if you'd like me to clarify
Original post by blueray
Thanks

Using pythagoras work out AD. Then using your equation line find the point C. Then use pythagoras to find BC.
Reply 23
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Once you know the gradient of the tangent at B, you can figure out at which point the line intercepts the x-axis. From this figure out length BC with a bit of Pythagoras. The rest I think you already know :smile: let me know if you'd like me to clarify

Is the gradient to B -3/4
How do I figure out where it intercepts x axis?

Yeah I know Pythagoras to get the sides :smile:

Using pythagoras work out AD. Then using your equation line find the point C. Then use pythagoras to find BC.

AD is 4 because y coord of point A is 4. Then? My equation line to find C?
Reply 24

See above :smile:
Original post by blueray

Have you figured out the full equation of the Tangent at B?

Yes, the equation of the tangent is -3/4. Now you need the intercept.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by blueray
See above :smile:

Original post by blueray

You find the lenght of AD which is 4 very imply using pythagoras.

Then you use your equation of tangent BC, that you found in the previous part. Sub in y=0 in your equation to get point C. Which should be (64/3,0).

Then, like you did to work out AD, use pythagoras to work out the length of BC!! This should give you 40/3.

Length = AD+11.07+BC =4+11.07 +(40/3)=28.4 (d.p)

QED boom.!
You find the lenght of AD which is 4 very imply using pythagoras.

Then you use your equation of tangent BC, that you found in the previous part. Sub in y=0 in your equation to get point C. Which should be (64/3,0).

Then, like you did to work out AD, use pythagoras to work out the length of BC!! This should give you 40/3.

Length = AD+11.07+BC =4+11.07 +(40/3)=28.4 (d.p)

QED boom.!

Should have let him figure it out himself
Reply 28

is it given to us that D is directly below A? also, did you get 15.32 (2dp) for BC?
Original post by bong
is it given to us that D is directly below A? also, did you get 15.32 (2dp) for BC?

Well basically. As A and F both have the same y-axis co-ordinates, therefore they are parallel to the x-axis. Then, since AD is a Tangent to the circle, it is perpendicular to the radius, and because the radius is parallel to the x-axis, the Tangent is also perpendicular to the x-axis.

So yes, A is directly above D.

BC is 13.33 recurring.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Don't use selective treatment to quote me. You know full well how I calculated it.

What I meant was you don't need to do a^2+b^2=c^2 in that format. You can just use the equation:

(x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2 (this is all square rooted). And that I said is derived from pythagoras!

Whilst I realise that it is not pertinent to the thread, I think it is important for you to note that you have misunderstood the nature of Pythagoras's Theorem. You have used the theorem to calculate the length, not some derivation of it. The theorem states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, which is what you have calculated.
Original post by Bobifier
Whilst I realise that it is not pertinent to the thread, I think it is important for you to note that you have misunderstood the nature of Pythagoras's Theorem. You have used the theorem to calculate the length, not some derivation of it. The theorem states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, which is what you have calculated.

No it is derived from pythagoras. I haven't used single values of a and b but c-ordiantes to derive them.

Quick Reply

Latest