The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatashaB5051
Thank you that was the question i was looking at

And don't forget when working out stroke volume, make sure you take the biggest value minus the smallest. Don't make the mistake I did by thinking that 125 was the largest because it's the first figure. It actually increases to 148.
Reply 381
Original post by The Assassin
'that specific?' :s-smilie: Bro, this was in one of the old mark schemes for years ago - for an AS exam. How do you know if you don't have to be that specific?

Use it if you want, I don't care. If you think you have a better answer (lol), then put that.

That's a bit of a contradiction. He asks about the cardiac (heart) cycle, and you say 'nothing, you just need to know about the heart.' Nice work.

You should know about how the cardiac cycle is controlled, valves in the control of blood flow, systole & diastole. Also how to calculate cardiac output.

ok...
an old paper, and the spec has changed since, you dont need to be that specific.

mis-read thought he was talking about the circulatory system.
Original post by thescientist17
But then why does the other curve keep rising? It's to do with temperature denaturing the enzyme but what I don't understand is why it isn't denatured at the start?

Because at 50˚C the enzyme and substrate have more kinetic energy. Thus there are more successful collisions between enzyme and substrate. Therefore, enzyme-substrate complexes form more quickly and thus the products are formed more quickly. Thus, the graph plateaus before the 30˚C one.
Original post by 4MANU4EVER4
Yes you're right. The graph talks about the mass of product formed. The graph plateaus because of the denaturisation of the enzyme but the mass of product does not decrease-it stays the same. If the graph depicted enzyme substrate complexes formed then the graph would increase then decrease.

But why isn't it denatured to start with? Why does it work at all? The temperature is constant.. or does it take some time before the enzyme is denatured properly?
Reply 384
Original post by shybrowngirl
hey what points do i need to know about lactose intolerance?

cause.

symptoms

reason for symptoms
Original post by leeandrewarmstrong
Because at 50˚C the enzyme and substrate have more kinetic energy. Thus there are more successful collisions between enzyme and substrate. Therefore, enzyme-substrate complexes form more quickly and thus the products are formed more quickly. Thus, the graph plateaus before the 30˚C one.

That's to do with initial rate of reaction before it plateaus, I understand why it's higher than 30 degrees. But why is product formed at all if the temperature is high enough to denature it?
Original post by StudentAnon
I'm not saying they don't exist haha I'm saying in terms of the specification.

Molybdenum for example is a nutrient which reduces nitrates during the synthesis of amino acids, but we don't need to know about it yet. :biggrin:

Essentially, macrophages are phagocytes. However, phagocyte is a broad generic that could be for many other cells. Specifically, according to a set of notes my teacher gave me, it mentions macrophages involved in antigen-presenting cells (B-cells/humoral response). You could probably mention phagocytes, but if the mark scheme/notes say macrophage, I'll put that. :tongue: Up to you.
Reply 387
Wait I think percentage increase you do change/ old value x 100 and to find out how many times something has increased you just do the new value divided by the old value.. am I right? Just want to check!

To work out percentage increase use this formulae:

(Initial value - final value) / initial value = your result, times that value by 100 to get a percentage

NOTE: as this is percentage increase when you take your initial value from the final value you should most likely get a minus value, but that's fine in the answer just write down the positive value

Just incase you don't understand i'll give an example, say for example my initial value was 5, and my final value was 10, you would do this:

5(initial) - 10(final) = -5

- 5 / 5(initial) = -1

-1 x 100 (times by 100 to get a %)= -100

ignore the minus sign and just put 100%

(as we can easily tell 5 to 10 is obviously a 100% increase anyways but lets hope you understand it.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by leeandrewarmstrong
The enzyme isn't denatured. If it was denatured, no product would form.

It is. One of the questions is 'Explain the shape of the curve between 20 and 60 minutes and 50 degrees' and the answer is

-denaturation/ alteration in tertiary structure
-breaking of bonds
-change in active site, substrate cannot bind

And if it wasn't denatured then why is less mass of product formed.
Silly.

What I want to know is why is it not denatured to start with? Does it take time to denature it.
Original post by Jakez123
To work out percentage increase use this formulae:

(Initial value - final value) / initial value = your result, times that value by 100 to get a percentage

NOTE: as this is percentage increase when you take your initial value from the final value you should most likely get a minus value, but that's fine in the answer just write down the positive value

Just incase you don't understand i'll give an example, say for example my initial value was 5, and my final value was 10, you would do this:

5 - 10 = -5

- 5 / 5 = -1

-1 x 100 = -100

ignore the minus sign and just put 100%

(as we can easily tell 5 to 10 is obviously a 100% increase anyways but lets hope you understand it.)

Or you can just do 10-5 then 5/5 x 100.. :confused:
Reply 390
Essentially, macrophages are phagocytes. However, phagocyte is a broad generic that could be for many other cells. Specifically, according to a set of notes my teacher gave me, it mentions macrophages involved in antigen-presenting cells (B-cells/humoral response). You could probably mention phagocytes, but if the mark scheme/notes say macrophage, I'll put that. :tongue: Up to you.

the mark scheme says phagocytes.
Reply 391
It is. One of the questions is 'Explain the shape of the curve between 20 and 60 minutes and 50 degrees' and the answer is

-denaturation/ alteration in tertiary structure
-breaking of bonds
-change in active site, substrate cannot bind

And if it wasn't denatured then why is less mass of product formed.
Silly.

What I want to know is why is it not denatured to start with? Does it take time to denature it.

yes it does take time to denature the enzyme hence why it lows down slowly and doesn't abruptly stop
Original post by sconter
ok...
an old paper, and the spec has changed since, you dont need to be that specific.

Lol, what was so 'specific' about what I said? Macrophages are the phagocyte. I don't see why it's difficult to put macrophage as opposed to 'phagocyte', which is the correct type used, and more likely to give you the marks (depending on how specific the mark scheme is).

If one paper mentions 'describe how b cells are involved in humoral immunity', and then, a few years later, another paper asks the same question, what will the difference be? >_> Ugh, not gonna contine arguing with someone who's been neg repped as much as you, lol.
yes it does take time to denature the enzyme hence why it lows down slowly and doesn't abruptly stop

Thanks, makes sense now. :smile:

I like to check every little detail if you can't tell.
Reply 394

maybe, but i always do initial - final / initial x 100, if it works then go for it, but if a method works don't change it as they say.
the reason for this is that in these question you automatically get both marks if you get the correct percentage
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sconter
cause.

symptoms

reason for symptoms

water potential
Reply 396
Lol, what was so 'specific' about what I said? Macrophages are the phagocyte. I don't see why it's difficult to put macrophage as opposed to 'phagocyte', which is the correct type used, and more likely to give you the marks (depending on how specific the mark scheme is).

If one paper mentions 'describe how b cells are involved in humoral immunity', and then, a few years later, another paper asks the same question, what will the difference be? >_> Ugh, not gonna contine arguing with someone who's been neg repped as much as you, lol.

because macrophags were on the spec, now they arent.
Reply 397
Original post by vVShabbaVv
water potential

thats a reason.

yes this is much easier
maybe, but i always do initial - final / initial x 100, if it works then go for it, but if a method works don't change it as they say.
the reason for this is that in these question you automatically get both marks if you get the correct percentage

And if you wanted to work out how many times something has increased by you just do final value/ initial value.

Latest

Trending

Trending