The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmm..I think something to do with immunity, lung disease's and maybe heart disease's will come up..
and maybe a HSW question with one of those experiments and they will ask 1 and 2 marker questions based on that..

What topics do you guys think will come up for the last 2 questions?? I personally think something based on immunity will bcoz only 1 question about phagocytosis has come up for that..
Reply 781
Original post by LegendX
Jan 2012 q5bii, how do you do it?

HAHAHA you complete minion

146 - 55 = 93

93 x 85.7

that was like the easiest question on the papers hahahahahaha
Original post by sconter
yep

Lit B? Unit 1? :tongue:
If it is, im dreading that paper!!
Reply 783
Original post by foximus
HAHAHA you complete minion

146 - 55 = 93

93 x 85.7

that was like the easiest question on the papers hahahahahaha

jheeeeze, jam bro.
Original post by AlligatorSky
So a bronchiole is one grape?

Alveoli are the grape looking things. A bronchiole is the tube that branches from the bronchi into the alveoli :smile:
Am sure this will have been asked before but does anyone know what the comments
Reject
Neutral
mean in the mark scheme comments?
Reply 786
Someone asked for this yonks ago:

The use of monoclonal antibodies in enabling the targeting of specific substances and cells.

Monoclonal antibodies have a specific (examiners favourite word) shape because they have a specific primary structure (the sequence of amino acids) and therefore a unique tertiary structure (the bonds between chains). This means the shape of the variable region is complementary to a specific antigen on the surface of a cell. This means it can only form an antibody-antigen complex with cells which contain this antigen

The gross structure of the human heart and its associated blood vessels in relation to function

First of all left and right. Left is the SYSTEMATIC circulation, right is the PULMONARY (lungs) circulation. (And remember, left and right on paper is reversed.)
Heart has four chambers: two atria (atrium), two ventricles. They two sides are separated by the septum.

Blood coming in from the rest of the body is deoxygenated. It comes up from the Vena Cava and moves through the right atrium into the right ventricle. It goes from the pulmonary ARTERY, to be oxygenated in the lungs.

It makes a return by the Pulmonary vein into the left atrium, then left ventricle. Then the aorta, then onto the rest of the body.

Pressure and volume changes and associated valve movements during the cardiac cycle.

Diastole: Both the muscles of the heart are relaxed. The pressure and volume of the ventricles are low. The atrioventricular valves and semi-lunar valves are closed. The volume of the atrium increases but pressure remains steady.

Atrial Systole: The atria contract from the top (to ensure all blood leaves). The pressure in the atria rises, causing atrioventricular valves to open. The volume of blood in atria decrease, and the volume in the ventricles increase.

Ventricular Systole: The ventricles contract from the bottom. The pressure sharply increases. The volume in the ventricles decrease.

The effects of fibrosis, asthma and emphysema on lung function.

FIBROSIS: Macrophages engulf foreign particles and remain there, forming hard fibrous tissue. This means lungs become more stiff/less elastic (CAUTION: Don’t say alveoli become less elastic, that’s emphysema) and less air is able to be inhaled and expelled.

ASTHMA: Immune response causes bronchi muscles to contract, goblet cells to secrete excess mucus and mast cells to produce histamines that cause inflammation. All this reduces the width of the bronchi, meaning less oxygen can pass into the alveoli.

EMPHYSEMA: White Blood Cells have released enzymes that break down alveoli, reducing surface area. Some enzymes attack elastin, so alveoli can not expand as much.

The mechanism of breathing

In INSPIRATION the diaphragm contacts (flattens), as do the external intercostal muscles. This causes the pressure in the lungs to decrease, so air enters the longs. This is an active process.

In EXPIRATION the diaphragm relaxes (curves), and the internal intercostal muscles relax. This causes the pressure in the lungs to increase, so air leaves the longs. This is a passive process.

The essential features of the alveolar epithelium as a surface over which gas
exchange takes place.

Think of every part of Fick’s Law first DISTANCE (thin squamous cells), SURFACE AREA (Many alveoli, with high SA:Vol ratio) and CONCENTRATION GRAD (Ventilation replenishes oxygen and expels CO2; capillaries remove oxygen and replenish CO2)

Surfactant stops moist walls of alveoli sticking together, elastic helps alveoli expand and cause as much oxygen to enter alveoli as possible.

ethical issues associated with trialling improved oral rehydration solutions on
humans.

Is it right to give patients in need placebos without telling them?
Should they be tested on animals first to check for other dangers?

The role of carrier proteins and protein channels in facilitated diffusion.

Carrier Proteins: Diffusing molecules bind to protein and changes its shape, so it can move through the membrane. Used for Facilitated diffusion and active transport.
Protein Channels: Don’t change shape basically long tubes. Cannot be used for active transport.

The arrangement of phospholipids, proteins and carbohydrates in the fluid-mosaic model of membrane structure.

Hydrophillic phosphate heads point outwards, hydrophoblic fatty acid tails point inwards (away from the cytoplasm and tissue fluid). This forms a phospholipid bilayer, that is referred to as a fluid as they can move relative to each other. Scattered in, in a ‘mosaic’ pattern are protein and carbohydrates. Proteins can be extrinsic which act as receptors for certain hormones or intrinsic which allow for the facilitated diffusion of soluble substances across the bilayer. Carbohydrates label cells so they can be recognised.

using the lock and key model to explain the properties of enzymes.

Substrate (key) is complementary to Active Site (Lock) of enzyme. Key is specific to lock.

Description and explanation of the effects of temperature, pH and substrate concentration.

TEMPERATURE
At low temperatures the rate of reaction is slow. This is because the enzymes and substrates have less kinetic energy and collisions between the substrates and active site happen less often and with insufficient energy to bind. This means less ES complexes are formed a minute. As we increase the temperature, the substrates and enzymes have more kinetic energy so collisions are more likely to happen and ES complexes happen more often. However if we increase the temperature too highly, the hydrogen bonds that sustain the tertiary structure of an enzyme break and the active site becomes less complementary to the active site. This causes less ES complexes to be formed a minute.

SUBSTRATE Largely the same (more collisions at high conc.), but at the upper level it is limited by the number of active sites of which to bind It doesn’t matter whether you have 20 or 2000 substrates in every cm^3, if you only have 20 enzymes…

pH Same structure as above answers(describe graph of results, explain how, then say effect on ES complexes rate)
OH- and H+ ions bond with charges on substrate and active site making them less complementary.

And this my first ever post on this forum ( a year after making this account)

Good luck guys.
Reply 787
Original post by nicecookie
stroke vol
148-55 = 93

stroke vol x heart rate = cardiac output
93 X 85 = 7905

Why is it 148 - 55 though? I thought stroke volume was the max amount of blood in the chamber, so went it be 148
BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE :smile:

I'm actually SO scared.
Reply 789
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Hmm..I think something to do with immunity, lung disease's and maybe heart disease's will come up..
and maybe a HSW question with one of those experiments and they will ask 1 and 2 marker questions based on that..

What topics do you guys think will come up for the last 2 questions?? I personally think something based on immunity will bcoz only 1 question about phagocytosis has come up for that..

No it wont be on immunity actually, thatl be question 2, and from my calculations a membrane composition question will come up for the last question. P.S question 4 is more likely to be on enzymes
Good luck everyone!
I hope you all do really well
:bigsmile:
Original post by LegendX
Why is it 148 - 55 though? I thought stroke volume was the max amount of blood in the chamber, so went it be 148

the stroke volume is the volume pumped during each heart beat

the highest volume was 148.
the lowest volume was 55.
so you take away the highest volume - lowest volume to get the stroke volume

hope this makes sense :smile:
Reply 792
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Lit B? Unit 1? :tongue:
If it is, im dreading that paper!!

it is, and i kind of am too.

i think the best thing for me if to do a poem for part a, and the other three for part b.

cos i dont know the chapters of the book in any detail. atleast i can read one of the poems and analyse it ha.
Original post by MediterraneanX
Alveoli are the grape looking things. A bronchiole is the tube that branches from the bronchi into the alveoli :smile:

fml
Any help on monoclonal antibodies please (5marks)
Original post by foximus
Your king has arrived.
I already have my protection on, to **** this exam up!
you minions (Jack Smith) giving answers like you think you know when i know that you know that i dont think you know

huh? :/
Reply 796
guys what about a (5 mark) question on blood flow?
Reply 797
Original post by nasira372

Could you be anymore vague?
Reply 798
Original post by Jakez123
guys what about a (5 mark) question on blood flow?

The nervous and endocrine system is responsible for coordinatin (1mark)

extracellular fluid (ECF) enclosed within the integument of the animal (1mark)

the interstitial fluid and the circulating blood plasma (1mark)

carries RBC O2 glucose amino acids tissue fluid protein urea CO2 lactate (1mark)

Respire and live (1mark)
Original post by nasira372

You can search the thread and type 'monoclonal antibodies' and see what other people have written.

Although, what I have gotten:

- It has a specific shape
- Specific primary structure
- Unique tertiary structure
- Variable region is complementary to the specific antigen on a cell
- It can only form an antigen-antibody complex with cells that have this specific antigen

Latest

Trending

Trending