The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 - Tectonics (and structuring!)

I know its probably a bit early to start this thread, but I'm already starting revision (despite no pre-release material) and I'm getting a bit confused with a few concepts.

Last years thread is amazingly useful, but we could probably do with a more current one. Last years - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1657420

My biggest problem at the moment is the structure of the report. I have most of the knowledge (I think) but my sectioning is 'off' and I never seem to remember to source all the way through.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninegrandstudent
I know its probably a bit early to start this thread, but I'm already starting revision (despite no pre-release material) and I'm getting a bit confused with a few concepts.

Last years thread is amazingly useful, but we could probably do with a more current one. Last years - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1657420

My biggest problem at the moment is the structure of the report. I have most of the knowledge (I think) but my sectioning is 'off' and I never seem to remember to source all the way through.

Hey, I am also doing tectonics for Unit 4, I haven't started revision yet and I'm not going to do so until the pre-release comes out :smile:
I also forget to reference quite a lot, however it suppose it comes with practice :smile:
Reply 2
What do you guys think of the pre-release?

"Explore the factors which influence the effectiveness of responses used by different groups of people to cope with tectonic hazards.

Research volcanic and seismic hazards to examine the range of responses applied in contrasting locations."

To me it looks quite straight forward - management strategies and post-hazard responses case studies and theory work. Any good case studies?
Reply 3
Original post by flying_ifan
What do you guys think of the pre-release?

"Explore the factors which influence the effectiveness of responses used by different groups of people to cope with tectonic hazards.

Research volcanic and seismic hazards to examine the range of responses applied in contrasting locations."

To me it looks quite straight forward - management strategies and post-hazard responses case studies and theory work. Any good case studies?

I'm not a big fan of responses!! Dammnnn!
In terms of case studies not really thought yet - maybe compare Kobe and Sendai (how things have improved) - then assess factors for other case studies so that I come up with contrasting factors that will alter the responses. What are you thinking? What theories you reckon? Have you done stuff like Parks model?
Haha..we are keen aren't we!!
Reply 4
Original post by oli2wd
I'm not a big fan of responses!! Dammnnn!
In terms of case studies not really thought yet - maybe compare Kobe and Sendai (how things have improved) - then assess factors for other case studies so that I come up with contrasting factors that will alter the responses. What are you thinking? What theories you reckon? Have you done stuff like Parks model?
Haha..we are keen aren't we!!

Haha so true

My teacher is trying to convince me that I have done the Parks model... but I can barely remember it so I suppose some revision there is necessary :P

I think the crucial factors are the "range of responses" and the "factors which influence" those responses, as well as, as you said, doing this in "contrasting locations".

I've basically gone through a list of all my case studies and selected those that seem relevant - and I'm going to start thinking about a suitable structure this week.

For the introduction I was thinking of defining some of the impacts of earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis etc and saying different ways in which these can be managed.

I'm pretty glad it came out so early btw ... means we have the to prepare :biggrin:
Reply 5
woo more tectonics people!
the majority of people at school are doing pollution, im not really too keen with human geography so it had to be tecs :biggrin:

I havent actually done any revision for this yet, there didnt seem much point before the statement came out but i dont think it sounds too bad :smile:

main thing now is to get some good case studies!
Reply 6
im happy that this exam is not on physical impacts :biggrin:
we havent done any models at school. what is the parks model? and what other models can you use for the pre release? :smile:
thanks
Reply 7
I think it's quite a good steer! Has anyone thought of any potential questions yet?
I haven't really looked at this yet - I have a double lesson tomorrow where I will probably get cracking.

I'll upload what I can on here, but I prefer handwriting as information tends to sink in (and my writing illegible!). But anything typed I'll put on!

Has anyone done any practice reports yet?
Reply 9
I'm pleasantly surprised with the pre-release. Despite being naturally inclined towards physical geography (hence why I've applied for Geology at uni), the topic is pretty straightforward and there's plenty of case studies to choose from. The only thing I don't quite understand is the use of term "different groups of people". Is this referring to different communities as a whole (MEDC vs LEDC, different cultures), or individuals (demographics) within a country? Obviously no one can answer with any certainty but thoughts would be appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by PurpleJazz
I'm pleasantly surprised with the pre-release. Despite being naturally inclined towards physical geography (hence why I've applied for Geology at uni), the topic is pretty straightforward and there's plenty of case studies to choose from. The only thing I don't quite understand is the use of term "different groups of people". Is this referring to different communities as a whole (MEDC vs LEDC, different cultures), or individuals (demographics) within a country? Obviously no one can answer with any certainty but thoughts would be appreciated.

I think they are maybe wanting references to different groups of people - e.g. you consider different countries, different groups, cultures responses etc. Seeing as stakeholders and players were a big synoptic part in the rest of the course, they could be making a link? Just my idea...
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I think they are maybe wanting references to different groups of people - e.g. you consider different countries, different groups, cultures responses etc. Seeing as stakeholders and players were a big synoptic part in the rest of the course, they could be making a link? Just my idea...

I agree with this. In fact, using this as an idea, it possibly be a main part of the question - i.e the "evaluation" that you have to make might be which are the most important factors which lead to the success/failure of certain groups of people's responses...
Original post by flying_ifan
I agree with this. In fact, using this as an idea, it possibly be a main part of the question - i.e the "evaluation" that you have to make might be which are the most important factors which lead to the success/failure of certain groups of people's responses...

Quite proud of this five-second though to be honest :colondollar: Might do some revision around these ideas this weekend!
Reply 13
I'm pleasantly surprised with the pre-release. Despite being naturally inclined towards physical geography (hence why I've
applied for Geology at uni), the topic is pretty straightforward and there's plenty of case studies to choose from. The only thing I don't quite understand is the use of term "different groups of people". Is this referring to different communities as a whole (MEDC vs LEDC, different cultures), or individuals (demographics) within a country? Obviously no one can answer with any certainty but thoughts would be appreciated.

Good call regarding the 'groups of people bit'. I haven't done much on it, when I first read it my initial thought was like local/national/international governments, local communities, NGOs, TNCs...although after reading other suggestions this is more than likely wrong. Doing a bit of work on it now so I will have a rethink! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by oli2wd
Good call regarding the 'groups of people bit'. I haven't done much on it, when I first read it my initial thought was like local/national/international governments, local communities, NGOs, TNCs...although after reading other suggestions this is more than likely wrong. Doing a bit of work on it now so I will have a rethink! :smile:

Why would that be wrong?
Reply 15
Original post by oli2wd

I was thinking the same sort of things too, as is my teacher and the rest of my geography class so i think im going with that
Reply 16
has anyone thought of any relevant case studies??
Here's a few off the top of my head:

MEDC

2011 Sendai earthquake (Japan)
2011 Christchurch earthquake (New Zealand)
2010 Chile earthquake
1995 Kobe earthquake (Japan)
1994 Northridge earthquake (California)
2010 Eyjafjallajökull eruption (Iceland)
2002 Mt. Etna eruption (Sicily)
1991 Mt. Unzen eruption (Japan)
1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption (Washington)

LEDC

2010 Haiti earthquake
2005 Kashmir earthquake (Pakistan)
2004 Indian Ocean earthquake
2003 Bam earthquake (Iran)
1999 İzmit earthquake (Turkey)
2010 Mt. Merapi eruption (Indonesia)
2002 Nyiragongo eruption (Democratic Republic of Congo)
1995/1997 Soufrière Hills eruptions (Montserrat)
1991 Mt. Pinatubo eruption (Philippines)
1985 Nevado del Ruiz eruption (Colombia)

NIC

2008 Sichuan earthquake (China)
2001 Gujarat earthquake (India)

The list is pretty vague and incomplete at the moment; I'll try to expand on it later. I've tried to include case studies from as many areas of the world as possible, as the examiners do love a bit of variety. I've also favoured events that have happened within the past 25 years or so, as there's a lot more information around about the responses to more recent disasters.
Here's a few off the top of my head:

MEDC

2011 Sendai earthquake (Japan)
2011 Christchurch earthquake (New Zealand)
2010 Chile earthquake
1995 Kobe earthquake (Japan)
1994 Northridge earthquake (California)
2010 Eyjafjallajökull eruption (Iceland)
2002 Mt. Etna eruption (Sicily)
1991 Mt. Unzen eruption (Japan)
1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption (Washington)

LEDC

2010 Haiti earthquake
2005 Kashmir earthquake (Pakistan)
2004 Indian Ocean earthquake
2003 Bam earthquake (Iran)
1999 İzmit earthquake (Turkey)
2010 Mt. Merapi eruption (Indonesia)
2002 Nyiragongo eruption (Democratic Republic of Congo)
1995/1997 Soufrière Hills eruptions (Montserrat)
1991 Mt. Pinatubo eruption (Philippines)
1985 Nevado del Ruiz eruption (Colombia)

NIC

2008 Sichuan earthquake (China)
2001 Gujarat earthquake (India)

The list is pretty vague and incomplete at the moment; I'll try to expand on it later. I've tried to include case studies from as many areas of the world as possible, as the examiners do love a bit of variety. I've also favoured events that have happened within the past 25 years or so, as there's a lot more information around about the responses to more recent disasters.

Out of the top of your head? :yikes:

Seems like I need some revising here... :ashamed2:
For anyone interested, my geo teacher and the class came up with a brief plan for the exam...

1. Introduction: discuss the volcanic and seismic hazards involved

2. Methodology in table format

3. Different factors affecting responses: physical (magnitude, location, extent), human (economic, infrastructure, political, communication)

4. Variety of responses (divided into immediate and short term)

5. Conclusion

We also came up with a list of "groups of people" to be talked about throughout the essay, including individuals, emergency services, NGO's, governments, scientists and vulcanologists, as well as the obvious LDC, MDC distinction.

Its pretty vague and simple for the moment, but thought it might be of use (or a source of constructive criticism :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending