The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 - Tectonics (and structuring!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Flyteryder
I put numbers in brackets after using a source, then did a bibliography at the end with the corresponding numbers stating the sources.

okay..

do you think it would be okay to do a methodology
then when quoting something from a source putting in brackets (Source: www.bbcnews.com)
so they are linked together?
Original post by 1lozza1
okay..

do you think it would be okay to do a methodology
then when quoting something from a source putting in brackets (Source: www.bbcnews.com)
so they are linked together?

You could yeah. I did the paper in January and got an A. I guess either way is fine, although my teacher told us to put a bibliography at the end with all the sources, like an academic article would.
Reply 102
You could yeah. I did the paper in January and got an A. I guess either way is fine, although my teacher told us to put a bibliography at the end with all the sources, like an academic article would.

oh wow! well done!
problem is i have soooo many sources! how many did you use, did you source absolutely everything?
Original post by 1lozza1
oh wow! well done!
problem is i have soooo many sources! how many did you use, did you source absolutely everything?

I had about 15 sources I think. When you look at Wikipedia articles like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon, they have their sources in superscript; I did it like:

Preserved examples of various forms of spoons used by the ancient Egyptians include those composed of ivory, flint, slate and wood; many of them carved with religious symbols.[1] Then carried out with whatever I was talking about.

I did my bibliography like this, which is also on that Wikipedia page:

Sources

4. Lindsay, James E. (2005). Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 128. ISBN 0-313-32270-8
5. South China Seas Culture & Cuisine
6. UKTV Food: Recipes: Southeast Asian cuisine
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 104
anybody have a good idea on what to include in an A grade conclusion or examples? must be appreciated.
:smile:
Reply 105
I had about 15 sources I think. When you look at Wikipedia articles like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon, they have their sources in superscript; I did it like:

Preserved examples of various forms of spoons used by the ancient Egyptians include those composed of ivory, flint, slate and wood; many of them carved with religious symbols.[1] Then carried out with whatever I was talking about.

I did my bibliography like this, which is also on that Wikipedia page:

Sources

4. Lindsay, James E. (2005). Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 128. ISBN 0-313-32270-8
5. South China Seas Culture & Cuisine
6. UKTV Food: Recipes: Southeast Asian cuisine

thats great! makes it looks more 'report style' Very worried about timing however!
is it okay to compare the 2009 sumatra with the kashmir 2005 earhquake e.g for location, as kashir was in the mountains and sumatra is flatter?
Original post by geographylg
is it okay to compare the 2009 sumatra with the kashmir 2005 earhquake e.g for location, as kashir was in the mountains and sumatra is flatter?

I think that would be fine, as long as you say how the location influenced the effectiveness of responses
Original post by LauraJane_24
I think that would be fine, as long as you say how the location influenced the effectiveness of responses

Reply 109
Panic mode too, retaking from January. In general, is it best to write an essay before hand and try to learn it? Has anyone else done that as I'm stuck for ideas on how to revise. Thanks
For everyone talking about practice essays, this is not an essay, this is a REPORT.

Use sub-headings instead of just introducing a new topic with a new paragraph like in an essay. Do a bibliography at the end with all your sources, like a report. Reference your sources in superscript with numbers, then state what they are in the bibliography. Label your diagrams as Figure 1, Figure 2 etc.

Most of you probably already know this, but everyone else in my class did quite badly in January for writing in essay style rather than report style.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by Cairo133
Panic mode too, retaking from January. In general, is it best to write an essay before hand and try to learn it? Has anyone else done that as I'm stuck for ideas on how to revise. Thanks

I have. I've made the report reasonably generalised so that I can adapt it for the exam question. I think this is probably a good way to revise if you're like me and struggle with timings - I waffle a lot and have never finished a Geography exam in my life, so think this is a good way to revise as it adds a bit of structure and will hopefully prevent me from waffling in the exam as I'm limited to what I wrote in my prep report.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the exam!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by RLT
I have. I've made the report reasonably generalised so that I can adapt it for the exam question. I think this is probably a good way to revise if you're like me and struggle with timings - I waffle a lot and have never finished a Geography exam in my life, so think this is a good way to revise as it adds a bit of structure and will hopefully prevent me from waffling in the exam as I'm limited to what I wrote in my prep report.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the exam!

Thanks, starting to write an introduction now, I'm predicting the question to be 'How do different groups of people influence the effectiveness of response' or something like 'Evaluate the effectiveness of responses used by different people'

Just wondering for the first predicted question would it be best to structure my report in terms of different groups and the second one structure it by factors of response? Any thoughts?
Reply 113
Original post by Cairo133
Thanks, starting to write an introduction now, I'm predicting the question to be 'How do different groups of people influence the effectiveness of response' or something like 'Evaluate the effectiveness of responses used by different people'

Just wondering for the first predicted question would it be best to structure my report in terms of different groups and the second one structure it by factors of response? Any thoughts?

I used the question: "The effectiveness of responses used by different groups of people to cope with tectonic hazards is influenced by a range of factors." Discuss.

I think if you write quite a generalised answer for this, you should be able to adapt it pretty easily for both questions you suggested. You could perhaps answer this question and then on a couple of sheets of paper, summarise the tweaks you'd make to this report in order to answer the questions you suggested. Essentially, you'd just have to adapt the intro and sub conclusions/main conclusion of your generic report to fit the other questions.

Hope this makes sense.
Reply 114
Yepp, thanks! I'll get on to that tomorrow!
Reply 115
In planning I have structured my report thematically with paragraphs on a determinant of effectiveness to response e.g. economic development, supported this with 2 brief case studies e.g. for economic development - Northridge contrasted with Haiti....

Then in each paragraph I critique this saying the prominence of this as a response is limited; in this instance, it can be argued that infact 'x' e.g. level of previous hazards or population density was infact more useful in determining effectiveness of response.

Sub-conclusion to evaluate factors and relate to question.

With the critique should I bring in new case studies i.e. 'and this can be demonstrated by 'x'..... instead of using factors from the same case study?? Don't want to relate to case studies as a theme so guessing bringing in new case studies to suggest factors and not the other way round is the best way?
Reply 116
I put numbers in brackets after using a source, then did a bibliography at the end with the corresponding numbers stating the sources.

Yeah me too. Going to do that thingie in the air

"...tectonics kill people [1], people don't like that..."

Something like that. You know, at the end, once i've made the bibliography and panicking because I have a second or so left... just randomly dot some numbers around to make it look like i've referenced throughout. :smile:
Original post by Packlord

Something like that. You know, at the end, once i've made the bibliography and panicking because I have a second or so left... just randomly dot some numbers around to make it look like i've referenced throughout. :smile:

Yeah, that's what I did. At the end I made sure I'd numbered everything that looked like it needed sourcing, even if I had to make up random sources. I sourced The Economist and The National Geographic, even though I'd never read them :smile:
How are people planning to set out their methodology? In some examiner tips it says do a section on it and maybe use a table? This is the part which I struggle with as I am not too sure on what even goes into this section (I thought it was justification of the case studies and sources used?).

Any ideas would be very appreciated!
Original post by Packlord

Yeah I was going to do that, but then my teacher said to be careful as some examiners can be right pricks and will actually go and check some of your sources and if you have made them up then your screwed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending