The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 - Tectonics (and structuring!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by RLT
I've placed it under my intro.
You could do it when writing your report, but I personally prefer to have a table as it's a bit more organised that way.
I've structured the table under the headings: Source, Use and Evaluation
Just make sure during your report, you reference back to the table. e.g. . Volcanologists predicted the eruption of Popocatepetl in 2002 for 18th December 2002 (USGS)

so like... a table in the intro..

Source - Directrelief.org
Evaluation - this source could be biased and may exaggerats the positiveness of their schemes

something like that??? i dont know what im doing..... :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by 1lozza1
thats great! makes it looks more 'report style' Very worried about timing however!

problem is that our teachers said is that this takes a lot of time. could just footnote at the bottom of the page? or you could just do it in brackets. that's what we've been told to do.
Original post by Zstar
problem is that our teachers said is that this takes a lot of time. could just footnote at the bottom of the page? or you could just do it in brackets. that's what we've been told to do.

I think the best thing is to do a table under the introduction, and then refer to the sources used in brackets throughout the report.
I've left around 10 minutes to write my methodology (which I've divided into primary and secondary as we did some primary research on the responses to an earthquake here in Spain).
I know it seems like a lot of time, but when you look at the amount of marks for methodology and sourcing, I think it's definitely time well spent.
Reply 163
Am I right in thinking that 'Modifying the Event' is preparing through strong infrastructure and technology that can help predict the events, 'Modifying the Human Vulnerability' is preparing people by educating them about what to do in an event and also evacuating them when it occurs, and 'Modifying the Loss' is providing them with aid and food supplies etc?
Reply 164
Original post by Yan_w
so like... a table in the intro..

Source - Directrelief.org
Evaluation - this source could be biased and may exaggerats the positiveness of their schemes

something like that??? i dont know what im doing..... :frown:

Yeah, that's the right sort of thing.

Don't have it in the intro though, have a separate section called methodology.

Source: list the name of the source used
Use: state what you are using the content for - e.g case study
evaluation: why this source is suitable for this use and if there are any issues surrounding reliability etc.
Reply 165
Original post by RLT
Yeah, that's the right sort of thing.

Don't have it in the intro though, have a separate section called methodology.

Source: list the name of the source used
Use: state what you are using the content for - e.g case study
evaluation: why this source is suitable for this use and if there are any issues surrounding reliability etc.

ahhh, i get it now :smile: thanks :smile:
I'm writing my research & methodology in two paragraphs. Our college gave us a 'model answer' that got 69/70 raw marks and they got full marks in research and methodology for writing a short paragraph explaining how data was selected from a range of sources and explained for two of their sources why they were reliable.

For my referencing, I just reference as I go along. For example, "A tectonic hazard is a tectonic event that occurs in an area of human settlement and causes damage to human life and/or property (Frampton et. al, 2008)." This way, you constantly remind the examiner that you are referencing throughout and reminding them of the range of sources that you have used.

Obviously, go with whatever works best for you, but I find that time is such an issue in this exam, and (in my view) you don't want to be fiddling about with referencing at the end of the report, remembering numbers and such, when you will be more than likely trying to cram a good conclusion in to the last ten minutes.
Reply 167
Original post by joenye
I'm writing my research & methodology in two paragraphs. Our college gave us a 'model answer' that got 69/70 raw marks and they got full marks in research and methodology for writing a short paragraph explaining how data was selected from a range of sources and explained for two of their sources why they were reliable.

For my referencing, I just reference as I go along. For example, "A tectonic hazard is a tectonic event that occurs in an area of human settlement and causes damage to human life and/or property (Frampton et. al, 2008)." This way, you constantly remind the examiner that you are referencing throughout and reminding them of the range of sources that you have used.

Obviously, go with whatever works best for you, but I find that time is such an issue in this exam, and (in my view) you don't want to be fiddling about with referencing at the end of the report, remembering numbers and such, when you will be more than likely trying to cram a good conclusion in to the last ten minutes.

I've done a little paragraph too regarding how data was selected.
Reply 168
Hi everyone

How long should we spend on the introduction, main section and conclusion?
I've just done a practice report and I was no where near finished after an hour and a half... I don't see how it's possible to include all the required things like the methodology table, different models, the case study information and a conclusion in an hour and a half? ahhh!... :eek:

I've just spent ages trying to learn case study information but I've just realised I'm not going to have enough time to include it in the report... What sort of information are people learning for their case studies?

Has anyone got any advice please? :smile:
I'm doing the tectonic activity question btw.
Original post by hattie_m

Has anyone got any advice please? :smile:
I'm doing the tectonic activity question btw.

I would recommend the following framework:

Plan - 5 minutes MAX
Introduction, Research & Methodology (25 marks) - 30 minutes.
Analysis (20 marks) - 45 minutes.
Conclusion - (ongoing evaluation included in analysis) (15 marks) - 10 minutes.

It is a common mistake to underestimate the amount of time needed for your conclusion. Don't forget that a large part of the marks available for the conclusion are gained through doing an ongoing evaluation. I'm doing 'sub-conclusions' at the end of each of my conceptual headings.
(edited 11 years ago)
15 minutes per route of enquiry 10 min plan 5 on methodology ( CID you can learn this by heart) and te 15 min on the conc at the end I have done a times one and just about finished with these timings. As for case studies I have 13 which works out at about 3 per section this means I have learnt jut these and it's perhaps 3 facts to help prove my point you don't need any more did a mock using this method and got 60 so it works write fast and learn as much of your essay as you can!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 171
I'm proper struggling with the methodology paragraph. Instead of using a table, we've been told to write a small paragraph..but I'm completely clueless!

Anyone got a model methodology paragraph?
Reply 172
in the middle of writing a practise answer, not timing myself cause i've been doing other things and such stuff. currently done:

intro w/ diagram of hazard management cycle
methodology table- vague just mentioning textbooks, internet and newspaper articles and small evaluation of each.
case study list - ongoing, currently 10 studies each with small justification
mod event
-earthquakes
-volcanoes
-small conclusion
mod vulnerabitiy
-quakes
-volcs
-tsunamis
-small conclusion

ongoing bibliography which i'm writing specific resources and small evaluation of each
just started the mod loss but i'm dying :frown: and have work in a bit.

it's currently 7 pages long, that's the total i wrote for the exam in jan and i wrote from the word go to finish... NO idea how i'm going to finish this in the time given. Might have to rethink my sourcing method as i have to do a conclusion at the end too.
Reply 173
Original post by joenye

ah thats sounds good! my teacher hasnt told us anything about this! so do you reckon its best to like quote your sources as you go along, and then in the bibliography or methodology?? section write a paragraph about the sources?
Original post by laurenc1
ah thats sounds good! my teacher hasnt told us anything about this! so do you reckon its best to like quote your sources as you go along, and then in the bibliography or methodology?? section write a paragraph about the sources?

That's exactly what I am doing :smile: I include sources as I go along and I write a paragraph in my research and methodology section including a load of words the examiners like to hear ("objective", "relevant", "factual", "up to date", "accurate", "reliable") explaining that I chose a variety of resources.

My teacher gave us the 'BAWDY' acronym:

B - books
A - articles
W - websites
D - DVD/Video
Y - youtube

I don't like it very much, but it gives you an idea of a range of things you should mention. You don't need to mention every single source, five or six should suffice. For example, I'm using a piece of academic work by Petley and Smith (2009), my plan is to write a sentence just saying that David Petley is a proffessor of Geography at Durham university, hence a reliable source.
Reply 175
Ok thanks your help!
Reply 176
Plan - 5mins
Introduction - 15mins
Methodology - 10mins
Analysis - 40mins
Conclusion/Evaluation - 15mins.

That'll leave a couple of minutes spare.
Reply 177
Original post by joenye
That's exactly what I am doing :smile: I include sources as I go along and I write a paragraph in my research and methodology section including a load of words the examiners like to hear ("objective", "relevant", "factual", "up to date", "accurate", "reliable") explaining that I chose a variety of resources.

B - books
A - articles
W - websites
D - DVD/Video
Y - youtube

I don't like it very much, but it gives you an idea of a range of things you should mention. You don't need to mention every single source, five or six should suffice. For example, I'm using a piece of academic work by Petley and Smith (2009), my plan is to write a sentence just saying that David Petley is a proffessor of Geography at Durham university, hence a reliable source.

so.. where are you writing this paragraph? under the heading methodology?
Reply 178
Original post by joenye

B - books
A - articles
W - websites
D - DVD/Video
Y - youtube

oooh that makes sense!! thankyou so much!
also sorry to be annoying, you know the research and methodology section, (as ive not been told by my teacher) are you doing this in the introduction or?! thankyou
Would it be a good idea to mention how you would structure the report given more unconstrained time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending