Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do some people (mainly girls) take so many pictures of themselves?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is something that has always baffled me. I'm sure most people know the type, the old 'my space pose', the 'duckface' and people who take pictures of their own reflection in the mirror. Just why? I can understand one or two but some people are obcessed with it.

Just puzzles me, like what would compel someone to keep doing this. Do they just think, 'I'm bored, I know I'll take some more pictures of myself'!?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    They have low self esteem and so need to post the photos on Facebook to seek validation from their friends that they're soooo hot. It's purely an ego boost.

They're always geared to give the impression of how cool they are or how sexy they are. When all it does is show how much of a desperate attention seeker they are.

Always with self taken photos containing the perfect angle pointing down their cleavage or nights out with girls doing random things - usually in nightclub bathrooms for some strange reason.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They want approval/praise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Vanity is the only conclusion I can draw
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea!.A lot of the time it's in the same pose too.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think part of it, that is, taking identical photos absolutely everywhere at every opportunity is them needing people to think they have exciting social lives.

"OMG last night was teh best nite evaaaaa! Luv mah gurrrlz!! xxxx <3"
    Really? You post that every weekend.

I had a good old clean-up of my facebook "friends" list long ago, and these sorts of people were the first to go.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So they can haunt our newsfeeds with the dreaded `duckface`

• 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I take loads of pictures... don't post many on social networking sites though. I just like to look back through them all every now and then and remember things/nights/events I might otherwise have forgotten.
    And people these days in general take more pictures because we don't need to pay for developing anymore!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because everyone else refuses to take the pictures
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To get attention. What annoys me even more is they edit the photo to make themselves look better!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agree with #2. These people thrive off hearing other people favour their appearance. I disagree with self taken photos, let alone the posing types and I've not done it for a couple of years. It's weird how all the good nights out only seem to happen in dirty bathrooms!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have never took a picture of myself tbh I don't like pictures being taken of me, but my Facebook says otherwise ... 713 :lol: but thats because my friends take their cameras everywhere
    There is a guy on my Facebook who is constantly changing his profile picture I swear its 5 times a day and they are always taken from above him whilst he is looking upwards with a duckface and a vest on ... and then complains on his statuses about how he hates vein people
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please could you all confirm: WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT THEIR FACEBOOK PHOTOS YOU CREEPS!!!
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kog)
    So they can haunt our newsfeeds with the dreaded `duckface`

how did you find such a perfect picture for this topic? how did you do it?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    why do mainly females do it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    why do mainly females do it?
    because they want to look hotter than their female friends wheras guys generally couldnt give a %$&*
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's because they have a deep rooted desire to become a duck or something? I'm not sure though I barely take any...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because women's self-worth is based more on their appearance compared to men. Whereas being called 'pretty' would flatter a girl, a man being called 'strong' or 'clever' would flatter them the same. I've no definite idea why this is, but it appears to be the case.

I assume it is because many of the people I know were treated like 'boys' or 'girls' from the year dot. Little girls being called 'princess', people saying 'aren't they pretty', whereas little boys get 'little man' and 'aren't they big/clever/funny'. The only exception to this rule seem to be particularly clever girls, as they receive the same 'aren't they clever' stuff in the same measure and at the same time as boys.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    because they want to look hotter than their female friends wheras guys generally couldnt give a %$&*
    But from the ones I noticed - how come it is mainly female people commenting on (and complimenting) the photos?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applesdonothelp)
    Maybe it's because they have a deep rooted desire to become a duck or something?
    Haha. It all makes sense now!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.