The Student Room Group

Animal Testing on cosmetics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't know much about these tests but if they could make it painless, e.g. by somehow using braindead animals then that would be fine.
Reply 41
Original post by SkyStorm
Did anyone see the news article about animal testing on cosmetics? Horrific - all this for vanity. I have signed the online petition on the LUSH website, as I think all animal testing is barbaric, anyone else agree?

No I didn't, can you link to it? :tongue:

All things meant for human use have to, by law, be tested on animals first. And surely that makes sense? Ok, you can argue that medicines are worthy but shampoo isn't, but that's a more specific problem than all animal testing :s-smilie:
Original post by Dragonfly07
Would you rather those cosmetics were put on the shelves without testing?

The first time testing became standard was when women started losing their eyesight after wearing a new type of mascarra on the market.

If you don't want something of this sort to happen to you, you would only have to buy animal tested products, and if you're so against it then I expect you to protest by not wearing make up at all.

Huney, how hard is it to understand, that even though animal tests have been DONE for cosmetics it does not mean they have still to be done?
There are 1000000000000 ingredients out there, which have already been tested and proven safe, so all cosmetics you will ever need and more can be mixed from those, and no more animals have to be hurt for your mascaras and blushes.

That is how non animal testing companies work, since all ingredients allowed to be used in EU have to be tested, sadly with animals.
But using already tested ingredients and not doing tests anymore is possible and many companies do it already.
So, you do not have to risk yourself to be hurt if you decide not to support companies that still test with animals.
Original post by SkyStorm
Did anyone see the news article about animal testing on cosmetics? Horrific - all this for vanity. I have signed the online petition on the LUSH website, as I think all animal testing is barbaric, anyone else agree?

The ironic thing is that when you look on LUSH's website at the ingredients of each product, most of them have artificial chemicals in. Sodium lauryl sulfate, propylene glycol, EDTA etc.

I'm prepared to bet pretty much any amount of money you care to name that the suppliers who sell those chemicals to LUSH test the chemicals on animals. LUSH may not test their end products on animals, but the companies who supply them almost certainly test the chemical components. The people who set up this window display either have no clue of where their merchandise comes from or have conveniently forgotten.

So LUSH's products - not "cruelty free"! Unfortunately there is no legal definition of what makes a product cruelty free so anyone can slap a bunny logo on and claim their products are animal test free. Even people who test end products on animals could.

Now, EU law brought in in 2009 says you can't test cosmetic products for irritation on animals. But again, this refers to end products, not chemical components. It also does not cover imported cosmetics - stuff produced outside the EU is not bound by this legislation.

By UK law, the testing of end products is banned, but components that have a medical or cosmetic application HAVE to be animal tested by law.

I stopped buying from LUSH years ago, and their stunt with this performance in the shop window makes me even more glad I did. They're becoming increasingly hysterical and PETA-esque. Heaven forfend anyone should have a reasoned, thought-out debate.

Edit: The same goes for any medicine. So I hope you don't take paracetamol / aspirin / ibuprofen for a headache. Or take antibiotics when you're ill. Or go on the pill. Or in fact ever have to make use of modern medicine...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
People claim they're for animal rights, yet support animal testing. Either animal rights means something or it doesn't. Animal rights should be taken seriously in my opinion.
Original post by Loveuraliens
Huney, how hard is it to understand, that even though animal tests have been DONE for cosmetics it does not mean they have still to be done?
There are 1000000000000 ingredients out there, which have already been tested and proven safe, so all cosmetics you will ever need and more can be mixed from those, and no more animals have to be hurt for your mascaras and blushes.

That is how non animal testing companies work, since all ingredients allowed to be used in EU have to be tested, sadly with animals.
But using already tested ingredients and not doing tests anymore is possible and many companies do it already.
So, you do not have to risk yourself to be hurt if you decide not to support companies that still test with animals.

That's exactly the reason animal testing is barely done anymore on cosmetics at all. But if new ingredients come up I'd have no qualms with letting them test it on animals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending