The Student Room Group

Stats 2 (S2) OCR (not MEI) 22nd June 2012

Hi all,

There's not a thread for this, thought I'd create one :smile:

How's the revision going? Any sticking points?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone got the Jan 12 PP and MS?

Cheers
Original post by wibletg
Anyone got the Jan 12 PP and MS?

Cheers

Ask Syntax error, they have loads!

I'm stuck on a question! Can anyone help me? It Q6)i) June 2007! It doesn't make sense to me!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Matthew692692
Ask Syntax error, they have loads!

I'm stuck on a question! Can anyone help me? It Q6)i) June 2007! It doesn't make sense to me!

Oh never mind, it was cumulative and I was trying to do point. Flail.

Reply 4
Didn't think I'd be resitting this, but here I am :colonhash:
Reply 5
Bohoo, S2.
Reply 6
Hopefully this goes better than FP2 did...
Reply 7
can't imagine any exam going worse than that FP2 paper, tbh
Reply 8
Original post by etothepii
can't imagine any exam going worse than that FP2 paper, tbh

There seems to be a common pattern emerging among people who sat that exam... they all hated it :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by wibletg
There seems to be a common pattern emerging among people who sat that exam... they all hated it :tongue:

If the A* pupils hated it, I cannot imagine what sort of student liked that exam :tongue: Unfortunately, I'm the only one doing FM from my school so I was under the impression that I'd done extremely badly until I saw the rage on TSR :tongue:
Reply 10
If the A* pupils hated it, I cannot imagine what sort of student liked that exam :tongue: Unfortunately, I'm the only one doing FM from my school so I was under the impression that I'd done extremely badly until I saw the rage on TSR :tongue:

The only one :redface:

To be fair, our year is unusual in that 10 people are taking it to A2 - last year there were only 2 :tongue:

Yeah, there was quite a bit of nerd rage. It should be interesting to see the boundaries in August :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by wibletg
The only one :redface:

To be fair, our year is unusual in that 10 people are taking it to A2 - last year there were only 2 :tongue:

Yeah, there was quite a bit of nerd rage. It should be interesting to see the boundaries in August :tongue:

I don't think we've ever had more than 5-6 people take it, even at AS.

Doing Maths at uni, I'm guessing?
Reply 12
I don't think we've ever had more than 5-6 people take it, even at AS.

Doing Maths at uni, I'm guessing?

No, only one person is doing maths at Uni :tongue:

Our school focuses more on Mechanics modules because the FM teacher did Physics as a degree, so we've got 5 engineers, 1 computer scientist, someone doing economics, a physicist and the only person doing maths :redface:
Reply 13
Original post by wibletg
No, only one person is doing maths at Uni :tongue:

Our school focuses more on Mechanics modules because the FM teacher did Physics as a degree, so we've got 5 engineers, 1 computer scientist, someone doing economics, a physicist and the only person doing maths :redface:

Oh, I see. I'd have loved to do more mechanics modules but one of our two FM teachers did Stats so I ended up doing S1-S3, lol. tbh, S1 was the only tedious one; I found S2 and S3 slightly more interesting, especially the latter.
Reply 14
2012 S2 paper and MS anyone? :colondollar:
Original post by Killjoy-
2012 S2 paper and MS anyone? :colondollar:

Mark scheme: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=149664&d=1337531542
Question paper: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=149663&d=1337531542

Reply 17
Can anyone help me on Question 9(iv) in January 2010?
(a) Without using an approximation, find an expression for the probability that in m square metres there are at least 2 buttercups?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 18
Original post by ellie_159
(a) Without using an approximation, find an expression for the probability that in m square metres there are at least 2 buttercups?

Thanks in advance!

3 buttercups per cubic metre, so for m cubic metres the distribution of X, no. of buttercups, is x~Po(3m).
At least 2, so P(X>=2)= 1-P(X=<1)

Then use the poisson formula with 3m in place of lambda and you should arrive at the expression they want.
Original post by ellie_159

Thanks in advance!

The probability will change to 3m
So then your left with X~Po(3m)
P(X \geq 2)
and use the formula
1-( (e-3m x 3m11!\frac{3m^1}{1!}) + (e-3m x 3m00!\frac{3m^0}{0!}))
which equals
1- e-3m(3m+1)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending