The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Economics Unit 4 - June 20th

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Yash13
'Call me Freshwater'. Haha, well played.

Wait what? You work? That's awesome, especially if it's in finance.

Thanks and to you too.

I started working on building a psychological mindset for the trading of stocks and commodities, so I spend more time suiting up and making money and watching bond yields. Maybe one day I will go to university, but I'm not fond of a syllabus that gives me no room to do what I love. Economics is such a great subject though, a million accolades should be awarded for all the people on here that are facing the death trap that is AQA, OCR and Edexcel economics.
Could someone help me with the following question?

"Assess the contribution which supply side reforms might make in helping avoid major recessions." :please:
Reply 582
Original post by Prolific
I started working on building a psychological mindset for the trading of stocks and commodities, so I spend more time suiting up and making money and watching bond yields. Maybe one day I will go to university, but I'm not fond of a syllabus that gives me no room to do what I love. Economics is such a great subject though, a million accolades should be awarded for all the people on here that are facing the death trap that is AQA, OCR and Edexcel economics.

Wow, sounds like a much better life than mine, wish I was that gutsy. I said the same thing in my first few economics lessons and my teacher always used to get pissed off or send me out the room. I like it too, probably the only thing that I find interesting in academia.
Reply 583
Does the 25 marks have to be balanced? because I usually do 4 for my view and 2 for the opposing view
Reply 584
Original post by sweetascandy

"Assess the contribution which supply side reforms might make in helping avoid major recessions." :please:

I would say because its supply side there looking for long run answers. So possibly helping with education so in the future there will be a skilled labour force so if there is a lack of economic growth there would not have to spend so much time looking for skilled employees thus they can start increasing there production.

Correct me if I am wrong
Reply 585

- Supply side reforms boost long-run growth and shift LRAS to the right. As more is produced, to a better standard and more efficiently, this will mean that there is further export-led growth as many desire our products, avoiding a recession as for a recession to exist there needs to be 2 or more quarters of negative economic growth.

- Retraining programmes mean that out labour pool is more advanced. If our labour is producing more and at a quicker rate, this leads to the effects said above. But in times of globalisation there are theories which argue 'The Great Brain Robbery', where workers are trained and then relocate to where the greatest MRP is, and where they can make the best lives for themselves.

- You can then mention net inward investment as people see that supply-side policies are taking effect, firms producing more and Hot Money inflows into the economy increasing.

- Balance of payments surplus on current account could arise, but this depends on the countries' trading partners, and whether the costs of productions do not negate the supply-side policies. It's all well and good if little Miss Osborne decides he wants to stimulate growth, but if firms are unable to match the low costs of other competitive countries, there will be no export-led growth and a further propensity to import better goods from overseas.

- depends on how long the recession has been.
- depends on the nature of the deficit (structural/cyclical)
- depends on if fiscal policy is not negating investments in infrastructure and demand stimulation.
- depends on if the supply-side policies can actually induce the economic growth. If there is demand-deficient unemployment no matter how skilled workers won't bee wanted without the creation off new jobs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can a shift to the right in LRAS cause deflation? If this is the case, is this a disadvantage of using supply side policies?
Reply 587
Original post by ChickenMaLicken
Can a shift to the right in LRAS cause deflation? If this is the case, is this a disadvantage of using supply side policies?

Depends on the current inflation rate, and the built-in inflation from the previous boom.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mistry17
Does the 25 marks have to be balanced? because I usually do 4 for my view and 2 for the opposing view

Balanced. 3 on each side is more than enough. If you look at the unit guides, people really don't write much and get 80%+. With this exam, if you do the basics right, you'll get an A.
- Supply side reforms boost long-run growth and shift LRAS to the right. As more is produced, to a better standard and more efficiently, this will mean that there is further export-led growth as many desire our products, avoiding a recession as for a recession to exist there needs to be 2 or more quarters of negative economic growth.

- Retraining programmes mean that out labour pool is more advanced. If our labour is producing more and at a quicker rate, this leads to the effects said above. But in times of globalisation there are theories which argue 'The Great Brain Robbery', where workers are trained and then relocate to where the greatest MRP is, and where they can make the best lives for themselves.

- You can then mention net inward investment as people see that supply-side policies are taking effect, firms producing more and Hot Money inflows into the economy increasing.

- Balance of payments surplus on current account could arise, but this depends on the countries' trading partners, and whether the costs of productions do not negate the supply-side policies. It's all well and good if little Miss Osborne decides he wants to stimulate growth, but if firms are unable to match the low costs of other competitive countries, there will be no export-led growth and a further propensity to import better goods from overseas.

- depends on how long the recession has been.
- depends on the nature of the deficit (structural/cyclical)
- depends on if fiscal policy is not negating investments in infrastructure and demand stimulation.
- depends on if the supply-side policies can actually induce the economic growth. If there is demand-deficient unemployment no matter how skilled workers won't bee wanted without the creation off new jobs.

You, sir, are amazing. <3

But what is MRP? Also, you went onto evaluate the BoP surplus point before fully explaining it (you probz assumed I already know it) :colondollar: How would the surplus arise? Thanks sooo much :biggrin:
Reply 590
When they ask about a question on increasing economics growth do you talk about actual growth which is increase in AD or potential growth which is increase in LRAS?

Please help
Reply 591
You, sir, are amazing. <3

But what is MRP? Also, you went onto evaluate the BoP surplus point before fully explaining it (you probz assumed I already know it) :colondollar: How would the surplus arise? Thanks sooo much :biggrin:

Marginal Revenue Product. Since the paper is synoptic, sometimes it's good to add a tiny bit of knowledge. it's basically saying that a worker will recolate and find a job where they gain the most out of their skillset, and will earn the most for the least work.

Surplus will arise because you're exporting more, and you're highly competitive with full capacity, low costs and low prices. You're export more than you import, but it widely depends on the exchange rate, purchasing power parity in comparison to other currencies and the depth of the deficit you are running.
Reply 592
Original post by xXACEXx
When they ask about a question on increasing economics growth do you talk about actual growth which is increase in AD or potential growth which is increase in LRAS?

Please help

I would talk about both :smile:
Reply 593
Original post by xXACEXx

Please help

Both. You can talk about short-run growth by means of expansionary fiscal policy, as well as an increase in the LRAS by means of supply-side policies, where the economy is producing above their trend rate of growth.
Reply 594
Original post by xXACEXx

Please help

I always talk about an increase in AD but nothing else and I always seem to do alright in the questions i've written about economic growth.
Reply 595
Brilliant! Maybe I should talk about LRAS as well in economic growth questions!
Reply 596
Marginal Revenue Product. Since the paper is synoptic, sometimes it's good to add a tiny bit of knowledge. it's basically saying that a worker will recolate and find a job where they gain the most out of their skillset, and will earn the most for the least work.

Surplus will arise because you're exporting more, and you're highly competitive with full capacity, low costs and low prices. You're export more than you import, but it widely depends on the exchange rate, purchasing power parity in comparison to other currencies and the depth of the deficit you are running.

Could you explain purchasing power parity theory to me please? All I know about it is that it is a defunct theory... :smile:
Do movements in the LRAC not impact the price level but only have implications on the productive capacity of the economy?
Reply 598
Depends on the current inflation rate, and the built-in inflation from the previous boom.

Just searched my notes to make sure, but this is pretty straightforward.
- Supply-side movements mean LRAS shifts outwards.
- This is an inflationary gap, positive output gap.
- Clue is in the name, inflation is caused, if anything.

It's not a positive output gap when it's a LRAS shift, it's an increase in trend rate of growth not actual rate. A shift in SRAS would cause a positive output gap. So it is deflationary though depending on the current inflation rate, might not actually cause deflation, just lower inflation.
Reply 599
Original post by ChickenMaLicken
I don't particularly understand your point.

I'll tell you what I am thinking and then you correct me where I'm wrong.

If supply side movements shift the LRAS to the right, then the price level drops as can be seen on an AD-LRAS diagram. This is disinflation or deflation depending on the current rate of inflation.

I don't understand how inflation is caused from this process.

That is what I thought, that disinflation or deflation results depending on the current rate of inflation.

Thanks for the clarification, ohTS. I thought the same, but then I began to question after seeing the comment gain negative votes.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending