The Student Room Group

Sciences po admissions interview

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonesjones
Yes, indeed, I attended the IB programme (graduated in 2011), why? :smile:

Oh! I was trying to find their IB requirements but couldn't find it anywhere, do you know what they require by any chance?
Original post by ninetydegrees
Oh! I was trying to find their IB requirements but couldn't find it anywhere, do you know what they require by any chance?

I stumbled upon a document once where it was written the requirement is 38 points, which is what I obtained on my diploma. However, I think this requirement is supposed to be kind of a guide rather than something firm, as it is just a component of what Sciences Po takes into consideration while admitting students. Of course it still would have to be something like 36, 37 points, but if someone had amazing extracurriculars, an impressive personal statement, and did incredibly well on the interview, that one missing point shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I stumbled upon a document once where it was written the requirement is 38 points, which is what I obtained on my diploma. However, I think this requirement is supposed to be kind of a guide rather than something firm, as it is just a component of what Science Po takes into consideration while admitting students. Of course it still would have to be something like 36, 37 points, but if someone had amazing extracurriculars, an impressive personal statement, and did incredibly well on the interview, that one missing point shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hope this helps :smile:

Oh I see, do they regard extracurriculars as being very important? I'm kind of lacking in that area :s-smilie:
How did the interview go for you?

And thanks so much this helped alot!
Oh I see, do they regard extracurriculars as being very important? I'm kind of lacking in that area :s-smilie:
How did the interview go for you?

And thanks so much this helped alot!

Yes, you actually have to submit your CV and you are also asked to elaborate on your extracurriculars in some short paragraphs as part of the application. Besides, I think it's beneficial to reflect on these activities in your personal statement, as they can emphasize both your commitment to exploring social sciences outside the classroom and your general inqusitiveness. When are you graduating and applying to Sciences Po? It's never too late to take up some new activities :wink:

And where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? I looked into several application procedures to universities all over the world, and it seems to me that Sciences Po implements kind of a more American admissions system, with a holisitic approach, rather than eg. the European one, focused almost entirely on your grades.

As for my interview, I was happy with how it went. I read a history book from IB focusing on how current transatlantic relations have been shaped for the past century and made sure to be up-to-date with the news. Also, studying English A2 in IB helped me a lot with analyzing the text I was given. On top of that, I read on this very forum that the commitees which interview you ask questions until eventually you can't respond to one of them, so I was prepared not only to draw on specific knowledge, but also to display general awareness about some issues. I just tried not to feel intimidated when I didn't know an exact answer to a question. It turned out to be a very intelectually stimulating discussion. And I made them laugh at the end which I took as a good sign :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, you actually have to submit your CV and you are also asked to elaborate on your extracurriculars in some short paragraphs as part of the application. Besides, I think it's beneficial to reflect on these activities in your personal statement, as they can emphasize both your commitment to exploring social sciences outside the classroom and your general inqusitiveness. When are you graduating and applying to Sciences Po? It's never too late to take up some new activities :wink:

And where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? I looked into several application procedures to universities all over the world, and it seems to me that Sciences Po implements kind of a more American admissions system, with a holisitic approach, rather than eg. the European one, focused almost entirely on your grades.

As for my interview, I was happy with how it went. I read a history book from IB focusing on how current transatlantic relations have been shaped for the past century and made sure to be up-to-date with the news. Also, studying English A2 in IB helped me a lot with analyzing the text I was given. On top of that, I read on this very forum that the commitees which interview you ask questions until eventually you can't respond to one of them, so I was prepared not only to draw on specific knowledge, but also to display general awareness about some issues. I just tried not to feel intimidated when I didn't know an exact answer to a question. It turned out to be a very intelectually stimulating discussion. And I made them laugh at the end which I took as a good sign :biggrin:

I'm graduating in 2014, I do music but that's about it like, I'm not involved in any sports team or business competitions or anything :s-smilie:

I'm from Thailand, Bangkok, though I'm currently studying in the UK. That's good to know that they don't make a decision based solely on grades! :redface:

Oh wow I see, it sounds like a really challenging interview!! What newspaper do you read?
Hi everyone, i was informed via e-mail that i was admissible for the interview on 19th of June in Le Havre. My 1st choice is Le Havre Euro-Asia Campus and second is Menton. I have rejected all universities and only possible option left is Sciences Po. Can you guys help me what to expect from the interview? I have read all the previous posts but still, i couldn't manage to get something meaningful such as what questions they might ask? Is it mandatory to talk for 10 minutes non-stop or can i express everything i want to say in 6-7 minutes and it will be enough? Also do they ask for deep background knowledge in the subject which i am choosing? (What books should i read)
P.S Will they ask me questions about Europe's and Asia's history, economic models, law, political institutions, sociology, international relations, political philosophy and Middle east as well? As i have Euro-Asia as my first choice and Menton's Middle-East as the second one? What are your guessings what kind of document they might bring?

Thank you in advance, hope for your replies Sciences Po experienced ppl =))))
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm graduating in 2014, I do music but that's about it like, I'm not involved in any sports team or business competitions or anything :s-smilie:

I'm from Thailand, Bangkok, though I'm currently studying in the UK. That's good to know that they don't make a decision based solely on grades! :redface:

Oh wow I see, it sounds like a really challenging interview!! What newspaper do you read?

Music is good too, I mean they're looking for different forms of activities, including creative ones. I wasn't involved in any sports team or business competitions either (although I had some accomplishments in art contests). What's important is that you have a path that defines you, that you're passionate about something, a quality which can be then transfered to intellectual pursuits. You still have some time, maybe think about some voluntary work over the summer... :smile: What are you doing for CAS though?

It was a challange indeed, and I'd been really nervous beforehand, but once the interview started, all that stress went away. And I think I owe much of my confidence to IB, after all the oral exams this was even a pleasure :wink:

As for newspapers, I read mainly the New York Times and the Economist, but I think eventually I was given an article from the Financial Times during the interview.

PS. สวัสดีคะ ! Bangkok is my favorite place on Earth! :biggrin:
Original post by youngdiplomat1
Hi everyone, i was informed via e-mail that i was admissible for the interview on 19th of June in Le Havre. My 1st choice is Le Havre Euro-Asia Campus and second is Menton. I have rejected all universities and only possible option left is Sciences Po. Can you guys help me what to expect from the interview? I have read all the previous posts but still, i couldn't manage to get something meaningful such as what questions they might ask? Is it mandatory to talk for 10 minutes non-stop or can i express everything i want to say in 6-7 minutes and it will be enough? Also do they ask for deep background knowledge in the subject which i am choosing? (What books should i read)
P.S Will they ask me questions about Europe's and Asia's history, economic models, law, political institutions, sociology, international relations, political philosophy and Middle east as well? As i have Euro-Asia as my first choice and Menton's Middle-East as the second one? What are your guessings what kind of document they might bring?

The reason why you didn't find any specifics about the questions you might be asked during the interview is because the only question you can expect in this exact form is probably only 'why Sciences Po?' Otherwise, all the questions (at least this was my case) are somehow related to the excerpt you're given to summarize and analyze. I was actually nervous that it would take me shorter than 10 minutes, but I think that I even talked longer than this eventually. And then the committee takes it up from there, asking questions about different references to the text. For the Euro-American campus, I got bits related to post-second world war history, American politics (how Democrats and Republicans might react to different issues, and will their response ever be the same), the Euro crisis; but they also asked me questions about Poland where I come from, relating to the text (is there the vocational school system in Poland, like there is in Germany? Does it work efficiently? Will the United States ever be inspired by Polish economy?) Hence, the more you know about those topics, the easier will it be for you to answer the questions. :smile: You don't need to have any deep, background knowledge on any subject, but critical thinking skills will be useful.
The reason why you didn't find any specifics about the questions you might be asked during the interview is because the only question you can expect in this exact form is probably only 'why Sciences Po?' Otherwise, all the questions (at least this was my case) are somehow related to the excerpt you're given to summarize and analyze. I was actually nervous that it would take me shorter than 10 minutes, but I think that I even talked longer than this eventually. And then the committee takes it up from there, asking questions about different references to the text. For the Euro-American campus, I got bits related to post-second world war history, American politics (how Democrats and Republicans might react to different issues, and will their response ever be the same), the Euro crisis; but they also asked me questions about Poland where I come from, relating to the text (is there the vocational school system in Poland, like there is in Germany? Does it work efficiently? Will the United States ever be inspired by Polish economy?) Hence, the more you know about those topics, the easier will it be for you to answer the questions. :smile: You don't need to have any deep, background knowledge on any subject, but critical thinking skills will be useful.

Thank you, ive gained some confidence :smile:)
Reply 149
Original post by youngdiplomat1

I can tell you about my interwiev. Maybe you'll find something usefull.

I've chosen Central/Eastern Europe program in Dijon. They gave me this article:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/latitude/2013/05/20/comparing-nazism-and-communism-online-in-russia-and-causing-a-storm/?from=latitude

30 minutes to prepare and then presentation. All you will need is an ID and pen ( if you want to take some notes ).
I'd recommend you to repeat Euro-Asia's history - most important events, revolutions, wars and historical terms.
They asked me to define what's totalitarianism, absolutism, dictatorship, monarchy and what's the difference between them.

After presentation they might ask you questions refering to your personal statement.
In my personal statement I've mentioned one event in which me and 3 participants created a project called "The Glass Ceiling". So they asked me to tell them about it. ( In few words glass ceiling is an invisible but existing barrier because of which women can't be e.g. CEO).
I told them about it, they asked some simple questions. Then they asked me what I think about the current situation in France, about pink quotas, from feminist's perspective in which field my country (Latvia) has improved more than France ( we've had woman as a president).

Then they asked for my opinion about my country and EU, Soviet Russia (Latvian SSR). When times were better, what has changed etc.

And then of course there was the "why Sciences Po" question.
In the end they asked me if I had any questions to them.

And that's it. Repeat most important history events, know your country's history and relations with France and Asia's countries, follow news and you'll be fine.
Good luck with your interwiev :smile:
Original post by KitijaB

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/latitude/2013/05/20/comparing-nazism-and-communism-online-in-russia-and-causing-a-storm/?from=latitude

30 minutes to prepare and then presentation. All you will need is an ID and pen ( if you want to take some notes ).
I'd recommend you to repeat Euro-Asia's history - most important events, revolutions, wars and historical terms.
They asked me to define what's totalitarianism, absolutism, dictatorship, monarchy and what's the difference between them.

After presentation they might ask you questions refering to your personal statement.
In my personal statement I've mentioned one event in which me and 3 participants created a project called "The Glass Ceiling". So they asked me to tell them about it. ( In few words glass ceiling is an invisible but existing barrier because of which women can't be e.g. CEO).
I told them about it, they asked some simple questions. Then they asked me what I think about the current situation in France, about pink quotas, from feminist's perspective in which field my country (Latvia) has improved more than France ( we've had woman as a president).

Then they asked for my opinion about my country and EU, Soviet Russia (Latvian SSR). When times were better, what has changed etc.

And then of course there was the "why Sciences Po" question.
In the end they asked me if I had any questions to them.

And that's it. Repeat most important history events, know your country's history and relations with France and Asia's countries, follow news and you'll be fine.
Good luck with your interwiev :smile:

Thank you so much :smile:)
Music is good too, I mean they're looking for different forms of activities, including creative ones. I wasn't involved in any sports team or business competitions either (although I had some accomplishments in art contests). What's important is that you have a path that defines you, that you're passionate about something, a quality which can be then transfered to intellectual pursuits. You still have some time, maybe think about some voluntary work over the summer... :smile: What are you doing for CAS though?

It was a challange indeed, and I'd been really nervous beforehand, but once the interview started, all that stress went away. And I think I owe much of my confidence to IB, after all the oral exams this was even a pleasure :wink:

As for newspapers, I read mainly the New York Times and the Economist, but I think eventually I was given an article from the Financial Times during the interview.

PS. สวัสดีคะ ! Bangkok is my favorite place on Earth! :biggrin:

Ah yeah! I should really find voluntary work to do over the summer, um for CAS I go to YMCA and play sports with disabled people.

Oh I see, thank you!

Hahaha สวัสดีค่ะ!! :biggrin:
Original post by KitijaB

So they give you an article, and they basically tell you to prepare a presentation on it? Do they give you a question or title for your presentation? :confused:
Reply 153
So they give you an article, and they basically tell you to prepare a presentation on it? Do they give you a question or title for your presentation? :confused:

Yes. I had 30 minutes to read it, analyze, take some notes if I wanted and then I had to present it for 10 minutes.
And then question time :biggrin:
Original post by KitijaB
Yes. I had 30 minutes to read it, analyze, take some notes if I wanted and then I had to present it for 10 minutes.
And then question time :biggrin:

:eek: you just had to... present... it...? :confused: but... what are you supposed to present? (sorry if this is a really dumb question I'm just really confused, like what are you supposed to talk about? your views on the article, or are you supposed to say what the article is writing about?)
Reply 155
:eek: you just had to... present... it...? :confused: but... what are you supposed to present? (sorry if this is a really dumb question I'm just really confused, like what are you supposed to talk about? your views on the article, or are you supposed to say what the article is writing about?)

Well.. First of all, summarizing. Just tell them what the article was about, the main idea.
Then give your own opinion, if there is - define the problem and your solution.
Try to use many examples (from your own experience, history etc.)

Just don't worry and try not to look confused. ;D
Dunno guys, I had French, English and Italian at C2 level and German and Spanish at level B2, I only have one year to go at the Conservatory for both piano and violin, a predicted 39/45 and the Menton campus still didn't take me. Quite disappointed actually :frown:
Original post by KitijaB
Well.. First of all, summarizing. Just tell them what the article was about, the main idea.
Then give your own opinion, if there is - define the problem and your solution.
Try to use many examples (from your own experience, history etc.)

Just don't worry and try not to look confused. ;D

Oh okay hahaha that sounds scary! :eek: Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Reply 158
hey guys, is anyone having an interview in London on 17th of June? :smile: I have applied for a Campus in Reims, getting nervous...:s-smilie:
Reply 159
I am curious, for those who have had the interwiev, who was the jury?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending